Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Lowell has far less affluence than Quincy does (although Lowell still does have a sizable middle-class).

N. Quincy and Wollaston is now "Chinatown South", as many Chinese former residents of Chinatown have resettled several stops down the Red Line for greater affordability and less congestion. While both cities have large Asian populations, in Quincy they are primarily these Chinese from Chinatown (and a few Viet. sprinkled in there) while Lowell has far more from SE Asia and more "right off the boat". In Quincy they have had issues assimilating, not so sure about Lowell.

If I were deciding I'd stick with Quincy. I lived there for years and miss the convenience of it as well as it's location on the ocean (and those walks along Wollaston Beach on summer evenings). Nantasket Beach is right up the road and the Blue Hills are right there as well. While the city of Lowell has a lot going for it, it doesn't really have much going as far as surroundings.

Areas to avoid in Quincy are near the center and some pockets of South/West Quincy (and of course Germantown). The Point is not a bad area at all, it has actually come a long way. Not pretty, but totally safe (the only place I would avoid is a small area around Grafton St.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Just curious, what the issues with Germantown in Quincy?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 AM

270 posts, read 468,276 times
Quincy has lots of nice restaurants especially Asian food. Quincy has my vote.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,950 times
Quote:
Just curious, what the issues with Germantown in Quincy?
A lot of public housing is there. It has one of the higher crime rates in Quincy, but it's not like there are weekly shootouts or anything. (In fact, the whole city of Quincy has had one homicide in the past two years.)

Old 04-09-2013, 01:02 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Quincy feels like a suburb of Boston
Lowell feels like its own city

Quincy is safer, wealthier, more expensive to live in
Lowell still has plenty of safe neighborhoods and has more of its own culture

Both have loads of Asians

Check out Lowell a little closer, but I think most people would prefer Quincy

Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I just reread your post and have some second thoughts. I noticed you said the apartment is near the Lowell commuter rail station. If the apartment is in the neighborhood behind the train station, Back Central, that is one of the least safe neighborhoods in Lowell. If you decide to give this a chance, I would definitely check crime stats online or through the police department.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
As much as I love Lowell I must agree on Back Central being a very bad idea. Actually any area by the train station is sketchy.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM

73 posts, read 215,118 times
Thanks for all the responses everyone. After reading and doing some more research I think I am going to stick with Quincy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts