Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,495 times

Advertisements

My son plays football for Northern Illinois and will be playing UMASS on November 3rd. We'd like to plan a vacation around his game and thought about staying on Cape Cod. Any information you could provide about this time of year on Cape Cod (or Martha's Vineyard or other places) would be most helpful. We have a group of 6-10 people. We'd like to do some sight seeing (historical sights), golf, and some ocean activities. Is that time of year too late for certain activities? Is this a good place to stay this time of year? Any suggestions on nice places to stay would also be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 AM

270 posts, read 468,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim V View Post
My son plays football for Northern Illinois and will be playing UMASS on November 3rd. We'd like to plan a vacation around his game and thought about staying on Cape Cod. Any information you could provide about this time of year on Cape Cod (or Martha's Vineyard or other places) would be most helpful. We have a group of 6-10 people. We'd like to do some sight seeing (historical sights), golf, and some ocean activities. Is that time of year too late for certain activities? Is this a good place to stay this time of year? Any suggestions on nice places to stay would also be most appreciated!
If you enjoy fine dining, then you must check out Brazilian Grill in Hyannis. Plymouth plantation is a pretty cool tourist attraction. If you like crowds then you will be disappointed at that time of the year but I personally don't like the traffic jams in the middle of summer. Cape Cod is pretty!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
That's good time to come because the crowds will have died down from summer and also from fall leaf peeping. I can't suggest anything specific but Chatham on the Cape is really nice for restaurants and places to stay. It is also a central location and one of the most scenic spots on the Cape.

It will be a little too cold for any beach related activities except maybe walking on the beach (National Sea Shore is good) or going on a whale watch. You'll probably want to take a ride up to Provincetown and the very tip of the Cape for people watching and cute, artsy shops.

You can take a ferry out to Martha's Vineyard and there are beautiful places to stay for the night. Depends on how much you want to spend. One thing though--at that time of the year you need to be flexible because of our New England weather! It's hurricane season and even if there isn't a hurricane the weather is changeable. At best it will be cool and crisp, it could be cool and rainy or worse. You just have to roll with the punches.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
Cape Cod is quite a drive from the University of MA but I suppose you have already considered that. The Cape is great in early Nov. My daughter was their in mid Nov. last year and they spent time on Coast Guard Beach although not swimming. It just depends if you hit a spell of mild weather. I can recommend a small museum in Hyannis with lots of interesting things - JFK. I also have been to the Plimouth Plantation in and found it worth a visit. There is also a wax museum right in town there too across from the Mayflower replica. I love that area and hope you have a great time. If you do get out to Martha's Vineyard I believe you can leave your vehicle on the mainland in Falmouth and when you get to the island there are tour busses that will take you to the different sites on The Vineyard. We did this once in Oct. but you may want to check ahead for the schedule

Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Cape Cod is quite a drive from the University of MA but I suppose you have already considered that. The Cape is great in early Nov. My daughter was their in mid Nov. last year and they spent time on Coast Guard Beach although not swimming. It just depends if you hit a spell of mild weather. I can recommend a small museum in Hyannis with lots of interesting things - JFK. I also have been to the Plimouth Plantation in and found it worth a visit. There is also a wax museum right in town there too across from the Mayflower replica. I love that area and hope you have a great time. If you do get out to Martha's Vineyard I believe you can leave your vehicle on the mainland in Falmouth and when you get to the island there are tour busses that will take you to the different sites on The Vineyard. We did this once in Oct. but you may want to check ahead for the schedule
UMass plays their home games at Gillette Stadium. They started doing that last season, so they would not be coming from Amherst.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim V View Post
That's a great time of year to visit. Depending on the weather, there could still be some foliage and cranberry harvesting going on which is a beautiful sight.

Ocean activities, there could be some. I'm not sure when the seal tours end down in Chatham but that is a very interesting, informative tour that allows breathtaking views of Shore Road in Chatham from the water. We've had October/November when we have been on the beach sipping wine in shorts and other times when we couldn't bear the cold blustery wind. Whale watching someone suggested is nice but I avoid going too far out during that time of year. :-)

Golf, definitely will be going on. Some courses pride themselves on staying open through the winter. It's almost a bragging right for some to say they golfed in February. Historical sights, I live in Sandwich and the cultural district is fabulous. Five museums in a small area and all are extremely interesting (even my teenagers enjoy them- that says alot). Plymouth Plantation which is just north of Cape Cod is fantastic. It is a reenactment of the original settlement. The actors stay in character and interact as if they were the person they are portraying. The Plantation and Mayflower are both must sees for history buffs. I have never done the colonial lantern, haunted Plymouth tour but have heard it was great. We took in the Barnstable Village Ghost Tour and really enjoyed it. Just another way to hear the history of the area.

Someone mentioned Provincetown. Honestly, I don't think I would go there that time of year. Most of the more seasonal towns, that don't have Christmas events close down a good number of businesses after Columbus Day. Towns like Chatham, Falmouth and Sandwich keep the bulk of businesses open because they do have well attended winter events. If you want a day somewhere, I would head over to the Vineyard. It's lovely and a great way to spend a day.

In regard of where to stay, do you have preferences or budgets? Motels or inns/b&b's? Don't be afraid, with your numbers to call and negotiate a multi room rate. You may even want to consider renting a house. That is something we have done as a family. That time of year, you can get a really nice house, on the beach for a bargain. Just learn my motto: "Just because it has a gourmet kitchen, doesn't mean I have to use it. "

I would also suggest signing up for Groupon. There are always offers for multi night stays at rather nice b&b's and inns throughout the Cape especially during the shoulder seasons for bargain rates. Same goes for golfing, restaurants and attractions.

Enjoy!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Someone mentioned Provincetown. Honestly, I don't think I would go there that time of year. Most of the more seasonal towns, that don't have Christmas events close down a good number of businesses after Columbus Day.
Provincetown is quite lively for Halloween weekend. Some of the businesses have closed by then, but many are still open. There are still plenty of people out and about, and the people/costume watching is great.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Can't miss a trip up north to Salem on Halloween weekend. I recommend getting there early in the day for parking and to catch some of the history up there, including the Peabody Essex Museum and the House of Seven Gables. Plymouth is perfect for pre-Thanksgiving Pilgrim festivities.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
Provincetown is quite lively for Halloween weekend. Some of the businesses have closed by then, but many are still open. There are still plenty of people out and about, and the people/costume watching is great.

You are right. If they come before the game, that would work for them.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Actually, if they are a group I would not recommend Salem at Halloween as it is crowded with a younger set and there have been arrests the past few years. That's not to say it's not a great place for people who like crowds and lots of excitement but there are a lot of people who prefer to stay away.

I've been to Provincetown on Halloween. Although I'm the one who originally suggested it, on the second thought, maybe not. Again, if they are into crowds and seeing the gay scene in drag and watching gays parade down the street, it's the place to go. I liked it when I went but if I were coming to MA for a short time and wanted to play golf and see the area, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts