Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 AM

16 posts, read 28,456 times

Advertisements

Hello!!

Currently I live with my FI in a townhouse he purchased. We are currently prepping it to list, but don't know where to begin looking for and selecting an agent. His experience with is realtor with the purchase was not the best, so we'd like to have the best chance at selling for the best value, and hopefully quickly

So far, we've met one bad agent, who didn't show for the scheduled assessment, didn't provide the assessment in a timely manner at her own deadline, provided it TWO weeks after her own deadline, and then texted us at 11 pm a week later to follow up. She also mentioned that she didn't like the neighborhood and that it's gone down hill in the last few years. Yes, that's how one sells a property! She's out.

I did a basic search of nearby realtors and filled out 5 or so forms requesting free home appraisals. Only two returned the contact, and so far neither has scheduled to come by after a few attempts, with responses like 'I'm not sure if that date will work' (with no offer of a more convenient date).

So....back to the drawing board. How do you find a good realtor, how do you know they'll do the job well? How do you know they're reliable? How else do you find them besides a Google search? We'd really like to get the ball rolling with this and have it listed next month, but at this pace it doesn't look like it will happen!

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
A lot of people have told me they've had great luck finding a real estate agent by visiting open houses and posing as a perspective buyer. You get to see first hand how they market a listing and you'll have an opportunity to speak with them directly. Ask them questions about the house and the area to test their knowledge. If you like what you see at the open house, tell them before you leave that you are interested in selling your own home and likely you'll be able to setup an appointment with them on the spot.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Totally agree with Mike Pru. Although the word "posing" makes it seem like a perfidious exercise.

I prefer to call it reconnaissance. :-)

Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 AM

270 posts, read 468,413 times
I would choose a knowledgeable and honest realtor like MikePRU. Not affiliated only sharing my opinion! Keep you with the good work Mike.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,051 times
Can you ask any co-workers or neighbors for recommendations?

The open house idea sounds pretty good too.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Can you ask any co-workers or neighbors for recommendations?
My experience is that choosing a real estate agent is like buying shoes . . . not every pair of shoes will fit everyone the same. Personal referrals are very powerful influencers on people's opinions and can often cause people to ignore clues to an agent's short comings because "Jim said this guy did an awesome job for him."

Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 AM

16 posts, read 28,456 times
Going to open houses is a great idea, I think we'll attempt that next weekend! Are open houses typically listed on Thursday's paper, or Friday's (or both?)

We both don't know anyone in town and both work about 40 miles away and have yet to meet anyone who lives in or near the same city as us.

I believe Mike being in Needham would be too far for a Leominster listing

Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 PM

392 posts, read 919,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingNHTies View Post
Are open houses typically listed on Thursday's paper, or Friday's (or both?)
check the news paper, craigslist, and just google (something like Sunday (insert date) open house (insert town).

Also, all open houses are always advertised in MLS (multiple listing service) that Realtors use. You can go to redfin site and check for open houses in the town of your interest. They also have the best app for iPhone (IMHO) to check listings. They are basically a brokerage that works as a discount model, and while I don't have anything bad to say about them, I'd recommend looking for a full service agent in your case, because you get more support and guidance that way.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 32,509 times
We just went through this. The open house idea is good, but what we found even more helpful was to look at who had recently successfully sold homes in our neighborhood. Using redfin, I looked up comparable houses and then could see how long they took to sell and who the listing realtor had been. We interviewed three of the successful realtors, and were way more comfortable with one than the other two so we went them (it was a team, one of the things we liked). They did a great job in getting us multiple offers over asking and I'm very happy we picked them.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I have always liked the open house idea, it is a great to meet and see first hand how a agenet will represent your property. Ask yourself, Is the agent friendly, Energetic, Informative?? Did they even put down the paper and get up to greet you? I have seen it happen. Another good way to find a agent is to look on real estate sites like Zillow. Generally a agent who is on there is tech savy which is important and they take their profession seriously, you don't want a part timer.
If you go with the busiest agent on your area your listing might end up being just another one they are juggling.
I liked what CSKOLLMANN said about a team. My wife and I work as a team and we own our business. I think getting 2 agents for the price of one is a good thing.
Good luck in your searach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts