Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,442 times

Advertisements

Basically, I am going to list what I wish for, fantasy or not, and then allow myself to be reeled back in to reality. Thanks in advance for any replies, I am very nervous.

I've lived in Maine my whole life, but have an offer coming in to work in Dedham. I can already tell it's going to be a pretty big shock; I grew up in the woods, and even though I moved to the "city," it is an, "Oh, oops, forgot to lock my car last night, oh well." kind of place.

We rent now, and would rent where we moved, for a year or two, at least. (holy sticker shock, Batman!) We're not sure where my fiance will land work yet, but I will in any case likely be down there ahead of him. No kids.

Even if we weren't used to some space and a yard, like our current rental, we need to have it because we have a 90 pound bulldog with lots of energy. This dog is our furry firstborn. We love him inordinately. His needs are being considered like the rest of the family's. We are used to being able to walk the neighborhood, we can walk to some off-leash hiking trails nearby, walk to a dog park, another trail is a three minute drive away... it's our top activity. Bored? Let's go walk/play ball/watch him swim in the stream. He occasionally goes to daycare, for crying out loud.

My potential co-workers are telling me to just look in Dedham, to cut the commute to nothing. Can I do that? Is there a single family home with a yard, in a safe location for us all, maybe even a place to play? If not, where can I look? Not worried about schools right now. I've read through the forum and heard of nice places like Sharon, but I saw no rentals there, it seems to be a "when we buy a home" place. I'm sure we'll grow to appreciate where we live for its charms eventually, or find someplace that suits us better, but it is honestly not very important to me at this time. I mean, I live in midstate Maine. We make our own entertainment up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 PM

23,563 posts, read 18,707,417 times
It all depends on your budget and other things. Dedham is a suburb with houses and yards, but is also a sort of urban. Except for some of "Upper Dedham" (very pricey), you will not be "in the woods" at all. You may want to check out the towns just outside of there like Westwood, Norwood, Canton, Sharon, Walpole and Medfield.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Agree with Massnative that it depends on your budget. The commute you'd be prepared to handle is a factor as well. Where you're living now, you might be used to driving some distance for larger shopping, but around here, traffic has to be figured in along with distance.

I'll add Holliston to the list of suggestions. Nice town with plenty of woodland. Can't be sure whether Holliston would fit your budget without knowing the budget, but Holliston is not as expensive as many of the other pleasant woodsy suburbs.

Aside from the question of budget, I'm not sure what the commute would be like. You'd get to Dedham on more of a local kind of main road than a primary, limited-access route. I'm not sure what the traffic is like, as I've never commuted through that area. Could be bad because you'd be going toward Boston, and some smaller roads heading toward the city tend to clog up a lot during the morning. If you get the word from someone who knows the area that the commute is manageable, Holliston could be worth a look, because of its woodsy feel.

Maybe Hopkinton, the next town to the west, would be good to check out as well for the same reason, but the commute on secondary roads would be longer, so you'd really need the word from someone in the know that this would be a manageable commute.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:49 AM

Budget will have flex. I'm willing to assume that most of my salary will go to it, and we'll live off of his. We're both engineers, so the money will be there once we get our feet under us. I'll eat ramen to be in a place that's safe for us all. I'm seeing 2000-2500 pretty universally for single family. Does that sound right? I actually saw a very nice (well... nice to a native Mainer, so clean and neat looking and not shabby.) single family in Holliston, but like you said, I will have to talk to someone working there about the commute.

In a wildy different direction, could I live north and use public transport? If it's safe and clean, an hour commute doesn't bother me if I'm not driving.

I'm astonished to see that the problem is not going to be find someone who will accept the 90lb dog, but my rabbits, who are neutered, caged, and litterbox trained.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Dedham's a nice town, I lived there for years you'll be very happy there.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidninja View Post

In a wildy different direction, could I live north and use public transport? If it's safe and clean, an hour commute doesn't bother me if I'm not driving.
As in living north of Boston? If you lived north of Boston far enough out from the city to have those winding country roads, you'd be more than an hour from Dedham by public transit.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
As in living north of Boston? If you lived north of Boston far enough out from the city to have those winding country roads, you'd be more than an hour from Dedham by public transit.

That's what I mean by needing to be pulled back down to earth. Thank you. From reading around, I seem to be kinda backwards in actually wanting the ruralness. Or at least the illusion of it.

Is Sharon that way? Its outdoor spaces appear to be excellent. Canton and Easton don't, at least from the property photos, look overly cramped. I am eying Holliston, but I am going to have to find someone who knows what the drive is like. Can anyone comment on the drive from Canton, or Easton?

Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Easton is very rural, woodsy. More rural than Sharon. I'm guessing 40 minutes or so to Dedham.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Norwood and Canton are probably more urban than what you are looking for. I think Walpole may be perfect for you. I would also check out Franklin.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
The drive from Canton to Dedham is extremely short. Depending on where you're starting and where you're going in Dedham we're talking about 10-20 minutes. Depending on where you look in Canton you may find the town to be too suburban and not rural enough for your tastes.

Honestly, the first town I thought of when I read your original post was Sharon. On the signs welcoming you to town you can see the town motto "a nice place to live because it's naturally beautiful" which pretty much says it all. I think you would like Hopkinton quite a bit as well, but I wonder if that might be too far of a commute.

There really aren't too many rentals available in the 'burbs aside from the large corporate apartment complexes like Avalon in Sharon. Stay patient and eventually you'll find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts