Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM

417 posts, read 733,905 times

Advertisements

We're looking at some places where the hardwood needs to be refinished. lets say 1000 sq ft. What would be the approx cost if we're looking at just a straight forward refinish?

What about pet stains? is it very pricey to get that out of hardwood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 32,505 times
Figure around $1-1.50 per square foot. We paid 1450 to do our 1100 sq foot condo, and that was with 3 coats of poly instead of 2.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,689 times
FWIW, I'm in Fairfield County, Connecticut and my approximate 500 sq ft hardwood was originally quoted at $700.

However, the cost went up after they found extensive water stain damage from a previous owner (e.g. animal pee), which caused them to cut/replace specific floor boards in specific areas, sand the entire floor down for evenness, etc. My floors were originally stained with a very dark brown color, which "hid" the flooring damage for many years. I think I ended up paying around $1400 when it was all said and done.

Also, my flooring guy from "Floor Coverings International" tried to screw with me by using a quick-dry, water-based polyurethane finish (instead of an oil-based polyurethane coating - which is what we had agreed on). The floor board damage caused his crew to run behind schedule, so he thought he was slick by trying to use the quick-dry stuff. Luckily, I caught him right before he began the coating process.

FYI, this blog entry from a different Floor Coverings International rep tells you the differences between Oil-based polyurethane and Water-based polyurethane. Oil is the "preferred" coating for many due to durability and longevity.

Oil vs water based polyurethane:Which is better for refinishing wood?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
It can vary a lot depending on who you hire. I've seen prices anywhere from $1-$2 per SF. The guys on the higher end of the price range typically leave less dust behind because they're using dust collection systems. If you're not living in the house though that's less of an issue. If the flooring company needs to do any repair or replace boards that will add to the price. Definitely ask for 3 coats of finish.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 PM

211 posts, read 543,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
We're looking at some places where the hardwood needs to be refinished. lets say 1000 sq ft. What would be the approx cost if we're looking at just a straight forward refinish?

Hi
Where are you located. One of my good friends does floors and has done mine. His prices are very reasonable but it also depends how bad ur floors are. He is located in Natick and will travel within reason

Pm me if ur interested

Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 AM

82 posts, read 207,287 times
What is your budget? Are you currently living in the house? it will be messy to be honest and very dusty, regardless of the clean up and equipment used. Honestly, in one of my rooms it was easier and cheaper to pull up the current hardwood, lay down a new subfloor of plywood, and but new 3"x3/4" red oak flooring and install it myself. It comes prefinished with a crazy amount of poly and has aged very well with cats and dogs running on it. But again, i did the work myself and that always ends up being cheaper.....

Old 01-16-2014, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 27,922 times
I the real world...strip the existing finish...sand and smooth...apply stain...3 coats of durable poly finish...about $3.75/ sq ft. I just completed the task and have real time hours for this project!

Old 01-16-2014, 05:58 PM

392 posts, read 919,007 times
In my experience, even when someone quotes a very cheap price to you (say $1 per sq. ft), they always find something that needs to be added / changed / replaced / being wrong not what they thought, and it adds to the cost. Whereas if the quoted price is higher (say $2-3 per sq. ft), they are less likely to nickel and dime you. It also is difficult to estimate the floor damage if it's covered with carpet. That said, it all is possible to refinish, and while some companies will tell you that you have to redo all floor, because there are few boards missing, other (usually smaller) companies will be willing to work with you and even help you find salvaged flooring pieces (or you can find them yourself through craigslist, for free or for pretty cheap).

So if you are looking at houses to buy, don't be put off by unsightly floors. Such floors may be your ticket to a good deal. The best time to redo floors is when the house is empty, before moving in, so you are in perfect situation. Yes, it adds to your overall expenses, and is an extra effort, but IMHO it's well worth the end results.

Another thing to consider though is the overall condition of the house, and if you are planning to do any cosmetic changes (say paint the walls, remove wallpaper). These are small and inexpensive changes that one can accomplish without hiring a handy man. In any case, logically floors should be the last item on the list. I mean, it's not a catastrophe is you have to paint walls or ceilings after refinishing floors, there are drop clothes that will protect your new floors very well. Just something to keep in mind.

Editing to add:
it's messy the first day when they do actual sanding. They have to clean up the dust rather well before putting the urethan, because otherwise dust will settle onto sticky surface and the result will not be good. That said, this dust is going to collect in some small crevices and crannies, on walls and even in closets behind closed doors, so even if floors come out perfect, (meaning majority of the dust was removed), you still will need to clean up here and there. I wouldn't say it's a complicated cleaning though. A wet microfiber cloth is all you need.

They will apply one coat each day, so it takes 3 days, and you can walk on the floors by the end of the day. The smell will still linger for a week or more (depends on what brand of poly was used, and how sensitive you are to the smell), but if temps are not freezing you can open windows, and turn on fans if you have them.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:00 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinls View Post
I the real world...strip the existing finish...sand and smooth...apply stain...3 coats of durable poly finish...about $3.75/ sq ft. I just completed the task and have real time hours for this project!
I'm surprised refinishing the floors cost you so much. I had brand new hardwood floors installed not refinished but installed in my house for less than $6/sf. I happen to know the wood was $3/sf of that since I paid the flooring supplier directly.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:07 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post

Pet stains can be impossible to get out of hardwood. I found out the hard way last year when I bought a house with pee stains on the oak flooring. I sanded the floors right down to the nails and the black stains were even deeper than that. My solution wand I think it was the only one was to stain the whole living and dinning rooms ebony. It actually came out very nice and the floors are really dramatic looking. but all the work and the dust are not nice at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts