Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 5,036 times

Advertisements

Recently got a position at Boston Children's and got a good deal from Stone Gate APT at Marlbrough.
How much of a headache wood the commute be ?
I am not familiar with the area but based on my search I am planning to drive my car to Woodland station and then take the Green T which is going to take ~ 1:15 mins each way. How bad would it be ?

Any other suggestions ? Does it even make sense to live here and work there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 07:47 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
I'd rather drive to the Southborough or Ashland purple station and ride that in. That's only 5 miles driving. Actually, I'd bike to the station, but that's just me. Google says that would take ~90 minutes

If you want to ride the green, Riverside has more parking and is marginally closer to Marlborough. Cost wise, that's probably cheaper, unless the hospital will cover a commuter rail pass.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Commute from Marlborough will be more like 1.5 to 2.0 to Children's. I would take the commuter rail from Westborough or Southborough instead.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,807,234 times
Also depends on your schedule. If you're required to work night shifts then you might have no choice but to drive in. Keep in mind with the commuter rail you can take it to Yawkey and walk from there. That will be your least stressful option because driving from Marlborough to Riverside is already a long commute as it is (1 hr with traffic). Take a look at the schedules on mbta's website to see what works best for you.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:24 PM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
If you have to make the commute during rush hours it is going to suck. It really isn't that far, but traffic will be bumper to bumper almost the entire drive. I used to have to go to Cambridge (when I lived in mboro) a few days every quarter and I thought the quickest way was to take the southboro train into south station which might work for you. It is pretty expensive if work does not reimburse you though. 5 bucks for parking and 6.75 each way on the train (last time I took it anyway)

Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,036 times
Thanks for the reply,

My main concern is does it even make sense to live there for me ? Is this commute going to be crazy and ridiculous ? The reason I'm asking is that I am currently in a small town in OH and never had such an experience. Also I have been searching for places for almost 2 month and couldn't find a better deal than this.
Do you think this a good move or I should still keep looking for places closer to Boston ?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:52 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
I'd say keep looking and plan on spending a little more on rent as prices go up the closer it is to Boston. No reason to choose an apt that takes that long to get to work, unless you are REALLY saving some $ and you're scraping bottom.

Natick would be closer and you can probably find apartments walkable to the W. Natick train station.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I'd say keep looking and plan on spending a little more on rent as prices go up the closer it is to Boston. No reason to choose an apt that takes that long to get to work, unless you are REALLY saving some $ and you're scraping bottom.

Natick would be closer and you can probably find apartments walkable to the W. Natick train station.

I agree with this advice. The huge complexes across from West Natick station are typically full of young professionals working in the financial district. West Natick to Yawkey then walking or a transfer bus or shuttle to Children's or West Natick to BayBack to Green line back to Longwood would be much better than Marlborough. I wouldn't be surprised if Children's ran their own shuttle from Yawkey.

Mission Hill and Jamaica Plain are full of 20s professionals working in Longwood, if you change your mind about the roommate situation.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,807,234 times
Since you haven't even moved here yet, I would keep looking if I were you. No sense in purposely giving yourself a massive commute time. I think you need to first decide if you want to live in the suburbs or experience the city life since you haven't lived in a city before. If you choose the suburbs, then look to apartments that are located within walking distance to a commuter rail stop as 495 neighbor suggests.

Coming from another state, you'll find there are not that many apartment complexes which seems to be the norm in the rest of the country. The few complexes that we have are generally overpriced too. You will have better luck on craigslist or using a broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts