U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,832,292 times

Advertisements

Yarmouth police asked to tone it down | CapeCodOnline.com Tablet Edition
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 AM

8,680 posts, read 13,339,028 times
Yes, they do.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 AM

156 posts, read 300,598 times
Of course they do. To some people, Yarmouth is a "brand" but to many others it is home and residents have a right to know what is happening in their town.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:44 AM

24,362 posts, read 23,897,139 times
This shouldn't even come up. Of course the people who live there should know what's going on in their own town.

For some people, tourism is a business but they have no right to keep the truth away from the residents.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:36 PM

I think the idea that is a "brand" is absurd. It is a community where people live and visit first and foremost. This article reminded me of the movie Jaws when the town council casts doubt on there being a shark and tourism dollars takes precedence over public safety. Just because you deny it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:57 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,339,028 times
HaHa, it reminded me of Jaws, too.

So how bad IS the crime in Yarmouth?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:32 PM

It's bad. Drugs are the root of the problem. There were 8 deaths by heroin OD in a 2 week period this winter. With that type of addiction comes the breaking and entering and other personal property crimes to support the habit but also gang and organized crime presence to traffic the drugs. There is a joint task force focussing on all these problems with good success but it's a work in progress.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 PM

24,362 posts, read 23,897,139 times
Well, if people know how bad it is they can be on the lookout with neighborhood watches and just being more cautious. Maybe when it's time for them to vote for more money for the police and any other help to catch these druggies, they'll know which way to vote.

It the town keeps such things secret from the residents, what good is that going to do except put money in the pockets of the people who live off tourism while the situation itself deteriorates.

(I never watched Jaws, already scared enough of sharks. lol)

Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM

69 posts, read 226,711 times
I have a different opinion that most, probably. I grew up in West Yarmouth and my parents have owned a motel on 28 for about 40 years (and still do) so, like many people in the mid cape area, they are completely dependent on tourism. I think there is a very delicate balance in how the town's police department works to keep the residents informed of what is going on. Overall, the increased effort by the Yarmouth PD to clean up the town seems to be working well. They now stop in all the motels on 28 pretty much on a weekly basis to talk with the owners about what "weekly" tenants are staying there and who might be a problem and what to watch out for.

Personally, I do not feel like putting everything out on facebook or twitter is necessarily the best approach as there is the real danger that tourists that frequent Yarmouth could easily decide go to Dennis, Orleans, Brewster etc.. The tourism industry benefits the town in many ways - very low taxes for residents, tons of jobs from motels, restaurants, shops etc..I know many of the town residents in Yarmouth that do not work in hospitality think the only thing that the tourists bring are traffic problems but I think they would be very surprised at how quickly the town would deteriorate without that business from Memorial to Labor Day each year as there are very few real, fully time, year round jobs down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts