Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:26 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times

Advertisements

Championship last night. They beat the runners-up Lexington High by 200 points. Not bad from a middle class city with a 25% East Asian population that some deride as "Chinatown South". Asians value education, and the team, with two whites and two Asians, dominated the whole match against Lexington. They now represent the whole of Massachusetts against New Hampshire in the Governors' Cup. More than 100 High Schools tried out for this year's competition hosted by Bob Costa....they were trimmed down to the final 16, then 8, then 4, then 2 through direct competition. Good job, kids!

Just have to brag a little because I am always excited when Quincy wins something worthwhile, especially the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Does not surprise me one bit. My high school's trivia team had 2 Whites (both Jewish) and 2 Asians too. About half of the Top 10 in the class were also Asian. Just because a town as a whole doesn't score well on tests doesn't mean the top few students in that town can't be the best in the state.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM

Actually North Quincy (roughly 60/40 white/Asian) scores well. It's the other high school, Quincy High, which is mostly whites and other minorities from the city's south and southwest, that does not score well. The average brags down the ranking for the whole city.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Actually North Quincy (roughly 60/40 white/Asian) scores well. It's the other high school, Quincy High, which is mostly whites and other minorities from the city's south and southwest, that does not score well. The average brags down the ranking for the whole city.
It's a PUBLIC school and yes AVERAGE is part of that. People in poorly performing towns always stand on the laurels of the accomplishments of it's brightest students as if it's an indication of the overall excellence of the education of that community. Those kids could do well anywhere. They are the anomalies. Just like the kids at the very bottom are anomalies. Throw out the outliers and elevate the "average" to a higher level of learning and then call it a success.

Good for North Quincy, good for those kids but you commentary speaks volumes about the fact that the city will never come together as a whole to make it better for all.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,293 times
It was great to see the kids win last night. Good luck next week against NH!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 AM

"Good for North Quincy, good for those kids but you commentary speaks volumes about the fact that the city will never come together as a whole to make it better for all"...

I have no idea what you mean by your comment, but regardless, I am really happy for the achievements of these kids.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM

"Those kids could do well anywhere. They are the anomalies."...

Beachcomber:

What part of "Quincy has two high schools" and "North Quincy, with half the kids of the city, does very well with test scores" don't you understand? I hardly consider fully 1/2 of the student population "outliers".

I dont have kids of my own, but I do know that my taxes are going to pay for the $124 million pricetag for the brand new Quincy High building (for the low performing kids) with all the Smart-boards and awesome theater complex. Yet I am completely in support of the new Quincy High school building....so what part of "the city will never come together" do you mean?

We in Quincy as a city are willing to spend huge sums for the kids who are under-performing, with the hope that they will be helped with the new technologies and new opportunities for learning associate with them...while the high achieving kids from North Quincy (with 60/40 White Asian ratio) make do with 1970's technology and infrastructure. So what part of "never coming together as a whole" do you mean? I think we tax payers of Quincy are very united and generous in improving our public schools.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:27 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Quote:
"Those kids could do well anywhere. They are the anomalies."...

Beachcomber:

What part of "Quincy has two high schools" and "North Quincy, with half the kids of the city, does very well with test scores" don't you understand? I hardly consider fully 1/2 of the student population "outliers".

I dont have kids of my own, but I do know that my taxes are going to pay for the $124 million pricetag for the brand new Quincy High building (for the low performing kids) with all the Smart-boards and awesome theater complex. Yet I am completely in support of the new Quincy High school building....so what part of "the city will never come together" do you mean?

We in Quincy as a city are willing to spend huge sums for the kids who are under-performing, with the hope that they will be helped with the new technologies and new opportunities for learning associate with them...while the high achieving kids from North Quincy (with 60/40 White Asian ratio) make do with 1970's technology and infrastructure. So what part of "never coming together as a whole" do you mean? I think we tax payers of Quincy are very united and generous in improving our public schools.
I understand all of it. I'm pretty good with math. And even if I weren't, I actually lived and worked in Quincy for most of my 20's.

It's great that you are all coming together financially for the children of Quincy. But money doesn't solve all problems. Only a change in attitude can do that.

Will this new building be called the Quincy High For the Lower Performing Kids Who are White and Other Minorities? Why is the racial make up of North Quincy relevant to them being in a 1970's building or their performance? Why was it relevant to them winning a quiz show?

^That's what I mean by "come together". Who cares what race or color the over and under achievers are?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM

beachcomber;

Re-read my post where I used "Chinatown South" and stated how "some" posters have derided the city as such. That was the purpose for my notation of the racial make-up. I very much like my Chinese neighbors...they believe in public education, hard work and family. For those who skuff at Quincy because it is becoming a "Chinatown South", my post is to brag a little, and rub some salt into bruised Lexington, Newton and Acton egos. Lighten up.

As for over-under achievers...many kids of white working class families in Quincy are indeed falling behind their Chinese classmates. They prefer to play, drink and waste their lives away. This is a fact. You may not like it, but it is a fact. Just look at the Honor Roll of NQHS and it becomes very clear and obvious.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
beachcomber;

Re-read my post where I used "Chinatown South" and stated how "some" posters have derided the city as such. That was the purpose for my notation of the racial make-up. I very much like my Chinese neighbors...they believe in public education, hard work and family. For those who skuff at Quincy because it is becoming a "Chinatown South", my post is to brag a little, and rub some salt into bruised Lexington, Newton and Acton egos. Lighten up.

As for over-under achievers...many kids of white working class families in Quincy are indeed falling behind their Chinese classmates. They prefer to play, drink and waste their lives away. This is a fact. You may not like it, but it is a fact. Just look at the Honor Roll of NQHS and it becomes very clear and obvious.
Maybe Quincy high is not as high scoring because poorer/rougher areas like Germantown and Hough's neck go to Quincy High, while Richer areas like Squantum and Wollaston go to NQH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts