Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:35 AM

160 posts, read 321,254 times

Advertisements

Hi There,
I am thinking of moving to the Malden area. I now have custody of my 5 year old grandson so I would like to know if there is a "safer" area in Malden. I know that all cities and towns have good sections and not so good sections, so I would like to know if there is an area I should try to avoid. He will be starting kindergarten in September, although I am not sure if he will still be living with me then I need to be prepared just in case so I would like to know if there is a school that is recommended.
Thanks for your help.
Dorrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 01:59 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,828,412 times
You would do best north of Malden Center up to the Melrose line, and also west of there headed toward Medford. Not that most of the other sections aren't mostly quite OK, but they haven't weathered the years quite as readily and have never been as well-off. The only part of town to try and steer clear of is around the upper blocks of Eastern Ave, where some heavy gang activity and drug dealing were recently squashed but there's bound to be a bit left over.
Malden is one of those unique, neat places where ethnic boundaries were never starkly delineated and everybody gets along. Longtime Italian and Irish families happily mingle with their newer neighbors, who could be anything from White yuppies out of college a few years with a "starter home" to ambitious immigrants recently landed from all over the world. (Various Hispanic, African, Southeast Asian, and West Indian communities are all well represented.) People in relationships frowned upon by much of society (same-sex, interracial, or both) have long found a quietly accepting haven there. A former neighbor who's since moved out of state thoroughly enjoyed her years in Malden close to the Everett line. The households on her block included "White ethnic" families as well as a couple with a Greek wife and Jamaican husband, and families from Ethiopia and Puerto Rico. I benefited immeasurably from growing up in diverse surroundings (even though my parents relentlessly tried to socially steer me toward "people just like them.") It's a surefire way to help lay the foundation for a well-adjusted, fair-minded, decent adult.
Having posted that - the schools in Malden do an average but not fantastic job no matter which district you're in. The same can be said for neighboring Medford and Everett, two cities that were historically not as melting-pot as Malden but are quickly catching up. It all comes down to what you'd prefer to see at this time in 2026. In Malden you'd likely observe a happy high school graduate with all kinds of friends, and an eye toward starting a career with a trade or attending a community college, state university, or less "selective" private institution. (Military enlistment rates are also fairly high.) Farther out from Boston in more class-conscious yet still sometimes affordable towns (Wakefield, Stoneham, Melrose, etc) you'd follow his exploits with friends mostly from the same economic level and practically all from White - and, increasingly, Asian - families. The scramble for high grades and superior MCAS scores would start before junior high, with the pressure to get into "good colleges" increasing with each passing year. A kid raising his diploma and grinning from ear to ear could, and likely would, still result. But chances are greater that you could also be contending with alcohol/drug abuse and psychological difficulties. Look at where adolescents are committing suicide and plotting school bombings the most, you'll see what I mean. They're in places like the 'burbs far more than in places like Malden.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 PM

659 posts, read 898,946 times
If it's still possible for you, I recommend avoiding it completely. This place is going downhill faster than ever and I would never consider raising a child here. I've lived in Malden for a sizable portion of my life and for the first time, I really don't feel safe anymore. There's constant noise, gangs, shootings, etc. And I just went through a break in last month. That was the last straw.

Run. Away. Fast.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 AM

72 posts, read 184,137 times
I would recommend Melrose or Wakefield; Malden is not that safe anymore, and the schools are not very good:
Malden, MA schools - ratings for public & private schools - Trulia.com

Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Thank you all very much!! I think I will try looking at Melrose and Wakefield, thanks again

Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,019 times
Ignore the happy-talk diversity-pie-in-the-sky nonsense. Malden is gone & it's not coming back.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM

316 posts, read 723,818 times
I feel sorry for the person whose house was broken into. That said, I would agree with goyguy's assessment of Malden. I spend most of my time in this area and know it very well. The city sure is a melting pot and is a city, so it's not without its issues; goyguy mentioned some of these in his post, and they've been well-documented by local media. But the community is strong and well-located, the schools are better than many realize, and there are many nice enclaves. The Forestdale section is lovely as is most of the city west of the orange line. The area up on the hill between Ferry and Main Streets going towards Everett is also quite nice as is most of the Linden section over by the Revere line (apart from the dreary commercial "square" that is hardly a square.) Sure the city has its problems, but as someone who was raised in a very non-diverse suburb, I feel that the kids from places like Malden come out more balanced and with more access to and understanding of diversity, something that is helpful in our rapidly changing world. Test scores do not give a complete picture; if you dig a bit deeper, you'll find that the Malden student body is also comprised of nearly 60% non-native English speakers, which certainly accounts for some of the lower average scores.

At any rate, Malden's location is fantastic. The orange line ride from Malden station to downtown Boston takes about 15 minutes. Developers finally seem to be catching on. Two new restaurants have recently opened up in the Malden Square area, and Redbones is soon opening a new restaurant and brewpub on the outskirts of the Edgeworth section of the city. A new Walgreens flagship style store is also in the works in the square; it will be 24 hours and will have a gourmet food section complete with sushi bar. I see the area as changing for the better, and I think Malden is certainly worthy of consideration. Check it out for yourself and visit the schools before crossing it off your list.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM

27 posts, read 46,022 times
I agree Malden is good fit if you are in a budget and need quick access to public transportation. I have never felt unsafe in Malden lived in forestdale section. If you could get your grandson in Mystic valley regional charter school through lottery it may be the best option (closed for this year though). Big developers are buying all rental properties close to T station in Malden and rents are going up for everyone and they are not renewing leases for cheap rentals.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:20 PM

316 posts, read 723,818 times
I'd also say that some of the Malden public elementary schools are worthy of your consideration. Involved parents/grandparents generally have successful kids wherever they are. If you're really against public school, Cheverus is a well-run little Catholic school right in the square.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:25 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I am going to look in all of those areas. I will keep it all in mind when trying to find the best place for us to live. I do need something with public transportation and it seems that Malden is the one that has that. I thank you all for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts