Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:25 PM

69 posts, read 146,515 times

Advertisements

I realize the difficulties of moving - I have done it more often than most. Commutes, rental costs, surrounding areas, social desires, etc etc etc.......it makes it a challenge, especially on a budget.

Amesbury to Waltham should only be about 45 minutes in no traffic, driving about 65-70 mph. However, in traffic, and given your social desires, I can see the lack of "excitement" about it.

Because of the absurdity of Boston traffic, especially during rush hour from the north shore, you may want to reconsider these options;

Beverly - rent is reasonable, if you're willing to sacrifice amenities, and it is close enough to Salem where that could be your "go-to" social spot.

Framingham - parts of it are reasonably priced, and it, as well as surrounding towns, could offer some nightlife (at least in comparison to Amesbury).

Worcester - yes, it is an hour from Waltham, and quite possibly 90 minutes or more in traffic, but it might offer you more localized social events than the alternatives.

I am not sure where you are from, or what your exposure to Massachusetts is, but in general, the state itself is overpriced. The north shore is absurd in terms of rent, cost of living, and real estate markets. The west loop is more reasonable, but a little more busy and compact and without the water. The south shore is like the north shore, except there are more Irish than Italian, and the people tend to be a little less elitist.

If commute is a principal objective, I would look around Billerica, Westford, and Lowell as well - about 45 minutes, and there are good and bad spots.

Otherwise, besides what I have already included, I would just look around route 1......places like Danvers, Saugus, Peabody, Wakefield, Lynn, Revere.......there would be enough restaurants, enough bars, enough of a nightlife, and it would be a quick on and off to the highway. Just remember, 30 minutes in no traffic equates to about 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes in Boston traffic.

But, on a 900 dollar budget, you should at least be able to find something in those areas - just, if you opt for Lynn, Lowell, or Revere, be aware of the neighborhood you are in, and check it out thoroughly prior to making a decision.

Anyway............good luck to you! I hope it all works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 18,329 times
Look into Salem. I moved to Amesbury from Boston, and I will tell you, it is a very different lifestyle. Salem is more cultural and slightly urban, diverse, and closer to Waltham. I'm moving to Philly after the holidays, and I cannot get out fast enough. Amesbury is a wasteland.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:01 PM

10 posts, read 22,071 times
I would avoid Georgetown if you are looking for nightlife. There really isn't anything there. I know because I grew up there and my parents still live there. Not a whole lot has changed since I left.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,968,564 times
I would not commute from Amesbury or Georgetown to Waltham. It's a nightmare - 2 hours+ on "bad" days and you never know what will slow traffic - rain, snow, accident. There's also nothing to do in Georgetown.

Beverly and Salem might be good options.

I love Concord, MA. A beautiful town - much like Newburyport where I live. I don't think there's much nightlife, and don't know about the rental market there, but it's a much better commute to Waltham. Worth checking out.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:48 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,014,573 times
I know this is an old thread but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Waltham itself. It's got at least as good of a downtown as Amesbury and is much more in line with the OP's stated wants than are Billerica and Georgetown.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:23 PM

9 posts, read 15,978 times
There are those of us who find that Plum Island offers a break from the cost of Newburyport and has many advantages. You might consider something closer in such as Georgetown or even Topsfield for making the commute more managable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts