Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times

Advertisements

Fall River actually has a high crime rate, unfortunately, but I still feel safe living here. I wish more of the parks were cleaner and had working play equipment and that some of the people living here would take care of their neighborhood better, but it is that way anywhere else you go. Just don't send your kids to the public schools here (only 77% graduation rate o_O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 27,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Fall River actually has a high crime rate, unfortunately, but I still feel safe living here. I wish more of the parks were cleaner and had working play equipment and that some of the people living here would take care of their neighborhood better, but it is that way anywhere else you go. Just don't send your kids to the public schools here (only 77% graduation rate o_O)
To me personally the crime rate goes completely unnoticeable, have you had any negative situations with crime in the city? I agree on the fact that the parks could be nicer. Most of the parks have nice layouts such as North Park and Kennedy Park, but haven't been taken care of as well as they could. Still North Park is a nice place to go play baseball or go sledding and with the new Morton nearing completion the overall place will looker much better. As for sending your kids to the public schools, the graduation rate has nothing to do with how good the schools are (IMO) and if the parents stay on top of their kid, the child can do just fine. Obviously it makes the school look worse, but in 2012 one student went to Harvard, one went to UPenn, and one went to Yale ( All from Durfee .) This shows that the courses offered there are suitable to produce great students as long as they stay focused.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcoastres View Post
To me personally the crime rate goes completely unnoticeable, have you had any negative situations with crime in the city?
Your story is anecdotal - statistics are what matter when considering a probability for crime in Fall River relative to another locale, state, or the nation. It is what it is.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcoastres View Post
To me personally the crime rate goes completely unnoticeable, have you had any negative situations with crime in the city? I agree on the fact that the parks could be nicer. Most of the parks have nice layouts such as North Park and Kennedy Park, but haven't been taken care of as well as they could. Still North Park is a nice place to go play baseball or go sledding and with the new Morton nearing completion the overall place will looker much better. As for sending your kids to the public schools, the graduation rate has nothing to do with how good the schools are (IMO) and if the parents stay on top of their kid, the child can do just fine. Obviously it makes the school look worse, but in 2012 one student went to Harvard, one went to UPenn, and one went to Yale ( All from Durfee .) This shows that the courses offered there are suitable to produce great students as long as they stay focused.
The reality is somewhere in the middle (it usually is with most debates).

Crime in Fall River exists and it impacts everyone although not always directly. While nobody I know in Fall River has been murdered or violently attacked, many have had items stolen or been verbally assaulted. Even constant news about robberies or assaults can indirectly impact people. It's depressing. Obviously Fall River isn't Detroit, Camden NJ, Richmond CA, or New Orleans when it comes to crime. However, it's hardly "unnoticeable."

The biggest problem with FR in my opinion is the culture. There are a lot of uneducated people. That's not the worst part of the problem. The worst part of the problem is that a lot of those uneducated people seem content with not being educated. Many abuse the system and live off of handouts. For every person who really loves and cares for Fall River, it seems like there are 100 who don't. Fall River needs more people to take pride in their city. When that happens, good things will definitely follow.

The parks are only in rough shape because they're fairly neglected. Kennedy Park, Bicentennial, and Heritage (which is state maintained), especially, all have lots of potential, but people seem to take them for granted. It goes back to pride. If more people take pride in the city, the parks will be better places to be.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The Portuguese Festivals are incredibly popular amongst thousands of people. The Madeira feast in New Bedford draws over 100,000 people annually. I go every year and I'm not Portuguese. Neither are most of the people who go. They have big time bands, great food, and lots to drink. So I don't think it's a niche market.

I think the same applies to any ethnic festival. I don't think it's just Brazilian folks who who go to Carnivale. The Italian feast in Boston is pretty big for Everyone. St. Patrick's Day festivities aren't just for the Irish. Ethnic festivals are a great way to experience a different culture. The Portuguese festivals in SE Mass are popular with everyone and none are bigger than New Bedford's.

But everything else you wrote is dead on.
Portuguese and Brazilians in the area, seem like a very interesting plus to me!

Old 08-18-2014, 02:52 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

The biggest problem with FR in my opinion is the culture. There are a lot of uneducated people. That's not the worst part of the problem. The worst part of the problem is that a lot of those uneducated people seem content with not being educated. Many abuse the system and live off of handouts. For every person who really loves and cares for Fall River, it seems like there are 100 who don't. Fall River needs more people to take pride in their city. When that happens, good things will definitely follow.
That's what I've heard. But on the inverse if people don't pay taxes or vote they have no real political power or importance. Nothing wrong with not learning another language but from what I hear is there are too many that just do not learn English. Nothing wrong with languages but frankly it helps to know the language of where you are. I've been to Europe and Asia and taken languages..why? Because that's what they use.

What business is going to bend over backwards to appeal to poorer people that speak other languages...domestically?

New Bedford at least gets it they are working on a fair amount of things. Frankly I think that there often times might not always be enough people to go around to all cities. If Providence and New Bedford were not so close maybe more attention could be given to Fall River. There are plenty of areas that have potential but there can only be so much attention. If Chinatown in Boston and Quincy both have a Asian fall or spring festival at the same time chances are it might be hard for people to decide what one to go to because they are so close.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:54 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I'm interested in the Fall River area as well (actually interested in getting out of NE all together but anyway. ...)

I love the price and that it's on the water. Are there any other areas like that close to it or in MA anywhere? ?

When you say "don't speak English, " is the secondary language more Spanish or Portuguese? I would assume Portuguese but Idk.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:44 AM

374 posts, read 655,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I'm interested in the Fall River area as well (actually interested in getting out of NE all together but anyway. ...)

I love the price and that it's on the water. Are there any other areas like that close to it or in MA anywhere? ?

When you say "don't speak English, " is the secondary language more Spanish or Portuguese? I would assume Portuguese but Idk.
I hear a lot of Portuguese in my daily travels. Spanish is actually a distant second.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts