Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:11 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My mom is in south Jersey, but she's interested in moving up here. Where she is there are a number of 55+ communities. These are housing developments that have cute, small, easy to maintain homes for seniors. Usually 1200 sq with a small front and backyard, and they're cheap. My grandmother's just sold for 85k. I guess it's a popular retirement area. It's near the coast. Does anything like that exist up here in MA? I don't expect anything that cheap, but something. I know the cape and near the cape tends to have lower property taxes and more seniors vs families due to a lack of job opportunity compared to the Boston area.

Also, it look like home prices are going up as well, so it seems even less likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
There are definitely 55+ communities in MA. Of the ones I've seen, the homes are not as small as you describe and nowhere near as inexpensive as you describe. Do you have a specific area that you'd like your mom to land in? I see you are in Metrowest. Do you want her to be nearby? If you can narrow down the area a bit, I can give you some names of 55+ communities and some details about them.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:35 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
. I know the cape and near the cape tends to have lower property taxes and more seniors vs families due to a lack of job opportunity compared to the Boston area.
The only place with that low price might be a mobile home is a 55+ park, and there would be lot rental fees of several hundred a month. Condos might be another option.

The 55+ housing developments I know of in Massachusetts are in the $400K range.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
There are definitely 55+ communities in MA. Of the ones I've seen, the homes are not as small as you describe and nowhere near as inexpensive as you describe. Do you have a specific area that you'd like your mom to land in? I see you are in Metrowest. Do you want her to be nearby? If you can narrow down the area a bit, I can give you some names of 55+ communities and some details about them.
Thanks so much for your time. I would love for her to be in the Cape. That's far enough away and they tend to get less snow. The Cape inland if possible. And the neighborhood needs to be safe. I'll take anything, tho, that's less expensive, nice, and safe.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The only place with that low price might be a mobile home is a 55+ park, and there would be lot rental fees of several hundred a month. Condos might be another option.

The 55+ housing developments I know of in Massachusetts are in the $400K range.
Can't be a mobile home. And I'm not surprised about the prices you have run across. I wish I could find something around $150 for her.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:26 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Active Adult Golf Community in Mashpee, MA - Southport on Cape Cod

These go for under 300k.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for your time. I would love for her to be in the Cape. That's far enough away and they tend to get less snow. The Cape inland if possible. And the neighborhood needs to be safe. I'll take anything, tho, that's less expensive, nice, and safe.
Cape Cod Todd is a real estate agent on the Cape. Maybe he'll chime in soon. The Cape is quite a bit outside my area of expertise. I'm more a Metrowest person.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
That looks really nice. I wish the site had prices and fees listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Cape Cod Todd is a real estate agent on the Cape. Maybe he'll chime in soon. The Cape is quite a bit outside my area of expertise. I'm more a Metrowest person.
If you know of anything in metrowest or further west I'd like to hear about it.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 PM

I just checked MLS (my MLS does not really cover the Cape & the islands nor the Berkshires) and there are 179 listings in 55+ communities. The new construction communities sometimes have their own in house sales staffs and they don't put listings in MLS but . . .

I spotted this one in Plymouth:

1 Campbell Dr, Plymouth, MA 02360 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

I know nothing about this community, but it seems to fit the description you provided.

There are a couple of units available at Shadow Creek in Ashland:

140 Myrtle St # 26, Ashland, MA 01721 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

But they're almost $400K. It's a nice community. I know a couple people who live there.

I'm pretty sure there are some 55+ communities in Sudbury, Wayland, and Weston but they're quite a bit more even than Shadow Creek. Looking at the listings on MLS, it looks like the majority of the 55+ communities are down south near the cape.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
That looks really nice. I wish the site had prices and fees listed.

If you know of anything in metrowest or further west I'd like to hear about it.
Hi, I live in metrowest in Acton.

Attractive, reputable 55+ communities in Acton are Audubon Hill and Robbins Brook. I don't have any relatives at either one. I did volunteer work at Audubon Hill, so I have seen it in person. Audubon Hill is a beautiful community. The Acton senior center is right on the property. Acton has senior shuttles and additional shuttle services, if needed. There are many golf courses and outdoor recreational activities around here. Walden Pond in Concord, although no Atlantic Ocean, is nice for a swim or sunbathing. Emerson Hospital, a decent medical center, is not too far down the road.

I did a quick search for you. I found a unit listed at Audubon Hill below $300. Robbins Brook has a unit for sale around 315K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts