Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:00 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Just go with whoever offers the best combination of rates, low closing costs, and customer service.
It seems that generally the banks and CUs will offer the lower closing costs. But yes if you can find a reputable loan officer who can offer a significantly lower rate, then it might make sense. Some of the deals offered these days by the local banks and CUs pretty amazing though (especially for a 15 or even 12 or 10 year), and I'd be surprised if anyone outside could do much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:19 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It seems that generally the banks and CUs will offer the lower closing costs. But yes if you can find a reputable loan officer who can offer a significantly lower rate, then it might make sense. Some of the deals offered these days by the local banks and CUs pretty amazing though (especially for a 15 or even 12 or 10 year), and I'd be surprised if anyone outside could do much better.
It's an EXTREMELY competitive industry especially since rates have stayed so low for so long. I know the local bank around here (Needham Bank) which was never competitive with residential loans has totally revamped the way they do things. They now have a special first time buyer loan that features 10% down, capped closing costs, a competitive rate, and no PMI. A pretty impressive package if you ask me. The only requirement as far as I know is that you have the loan payments direct debited from an account at the bank. I don't work for the bank though so please confirm these details with them.

The best advice I can give people looking for a mortgage is to shop around. As I said, don't just look at the rate but look at the whole package. Don't limit yourself to one type of lender. Instead talk to several. Just avoid at all costs Bank of America. They are unbelievably awful. In terms of larger banks I've had decent luck with Citizens and Sovereign.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:21 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Just avoid at all costs Bank of America. They are unbelievably awful. In terms of larger banks I've had decent luck with Citizens and Sovereign.
BOA absolutely. I would not use them for anything, whether it be home financing or to cash a check.

I have not had very good experience with Citizens. Sovereign OK, but their branch hours tend to be limited and not the greatest customer service (while not awful). Of the larger banks, I've been happiest with Eastern.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:37 AM

787 posts, read 780,759 times
What's it like to live in Northborough? I found an end unit townhouse that's within biking distance from my job,

Old 06-16-2013, 08:39 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
What's it like to live in Northborough? I found an end unit townhouse that's within biking distance from my job,
Northborough is quiet, middle to upper middle class, fairly spread out, mostly a bedroom community of families.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Bishop Drive in Framingham, specifically Bishop Garden Condominiums. How is that area of Framingham?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
Bishop Drive in Framingham, specifically Bishop Garden Condominiums. How is that area of Framingham?
I believe many retirees live in that complex. Beyond the surrounding neighborhood of single family homes is a part of Framingham that is industrial.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:44 AM

591 posts, read 820,820 times
AZ, CO, GA, NC, or TX.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 AM

13 posts, read 23,492 times
Why are you looking at condos!!! I am 25 and just purchased my first home in Weymouth, MA. I take the commuter rail into work every day. (25 minute ride). Purchased a 2 bedroom 1 bath 940 SQ in a very safe neighboorhood on the boarder of Hingham for 230K completely redone and I am SO happy I didnt buy a condo. I also looked at condos but you will probably end up paying more with the condo fees. There are awesome places to look around the south shore if you can stay under 1000 sq (which for 1 person and no animals should not be hard). Weymouth and Quincy are just a few. Congrats on saving 20% for your first home! No matter what people say, do NOT rent.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:48 PM

I found a condo in Westborough with $163 a month condo fees (includes water). Seller accepted my offer and the inspection is tomorrow.

There's four units in a 6,000 sq-ft 1900s Colonial that was renovated in 1986. Windows have been replaced recently, roof was redone three years ago, new hot water heater in 2011 (includes a 6 year warranty), exterior was re-painted I believe. 950ish sq-ft, 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, 6 miles from my job, close to the center of Westborough (near the Bay State Commons area). Commuter rail is close.

Downsides, electric heat (baseboards), window AC, no garage. The positives outweigh the negatives I think. $80 electric bill in the summer, $225 in the winter.

All of the owners have lived in their respective units for almost ten years. I've seen the cash flows spreadsheet that tracks the total monthly budget and it looks reasonable. The condo fees are low, but when there is a big assessment it's split four ways. It's basically like sharing a huge house. However, most of the major assessments have been completed within the last three years. Anyways I have my reserve fund, no worries. I met one of the neighbors and talked with the listing agent who has lived in the neighborhood for over 20 years.

Everyone seems pretty friendly. The bedrooms are downstairs (I have two living levels in my unit). So there's no one on one side of me and if you're on the first floor you have to go through two floors before you get to the unit above me. I went to the town hall and found copies of the permits that were pulled to complete the restoration of the colonial in 1985. I'll mention this to the inspector on Saturday.

It's a good location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts