Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times

Advertisements

New lease signed today, keys in our possession and happy about living in West Concord but other than knowing about the schools and history, I am clueless. Anyone familiar with goings on there and recommendations for activities,shopping and generally just getting around? Thanks, again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 05:00 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Lot of shops around west concord... You can even go into Acton (Rt2A/Great Road).

Acton indoor sports (in Acton) for your kid to play indoor soccer...

Main St cafe has great coffee in the morning and Jazz at night.
Main Streets Cafe, Restaurant, Bar, Live Music, Concord, MA

Colonial Inn has one of the best afternoon tea. Lunch and Dinner is great too.
Concord, Lexington MA lodging, dining, Concord Colonial Inn

Walden Pond... must visit... even during fall/winter

Concord museum

Will put in more at a later date as you venture outside of Concord...

One more thing... there is a button on the parking meter... free 5-10 minutes if you just need to run into the store... Concord secret...

Last edited by smarty; 11-07-2007 at 05:21 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 05:27 AM

I should have include this.... Concord Chamber of Commerce... A good resource list.

You may want to join the new comers club... it is listed in the website.

Concord Chamber of Commerce, Concord, Massachusetts 01742

Old 11-07-2007, 05:44 AM

Here's a few I like...

A cafe in an air field... where you can have breafast/lunch when small planes take off/land.
Nancy's Air Field Café
302 Boxboro Road
Minute Man Air Field
Stow, MA 01775

A very interesting museum...DeCordova... if you're into it..
51 Sandy Pond Road in Lincoln, MA
Current Exhibitions in the Galleries (http://www.decordova.org/Decordova/exhibit/exhibit.html - broken link)

Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
West Concord, a wonderful spot!
Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, a couple of towns over.
Lousia May Alcott House in Concord.
I second the Colonial Inn on a chilly night by the fireplace for a drink and some jazz.
Venture west on Rt. 2A to Acton Jazz Cafe.
Old North Bridge for history.
West Concord is marvelous, best wishes!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:25 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
West Concord, a wonderful spot!
Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, a couple of towns over.
Lousia May Alcott House in Concord.
I second the Colonial Inn on a chilly night by the fireplace for a drink and some jazz.
Venture west on Rt. 2A to Acton Jazz Cafe.
Old North Bridge for history.
West Concord is marvelous, best wishes!
Thanks for the great suggestions Smarty and Brightdoglover. Can't wait to get started! Went to 99 Restaurant tonight with Magic Touch. Very friendly place and the food was good too. Only a block from our place. So excited!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Well, if you wanna talk restaurants and are willing to venture a couple of miles... (disclosure- I practically lived in odd restaurants for 18 years in and around Cambridge. After 15 years in Littleton, I have run into a few places of note, having been quite spoiled by in-town gems).
On Rt. 2a in Acton- Tobiko- "fusion Asian," higher-end Japanese at dinner
Rt. 27 in Acton, Benjarong- good Thai
Main Street in Maynard (and Rt. 2a branch in Acton)- Monsoon, good Indian

West Concord, if it's still open- Vincenzo's Cafe. It's a branch of the main restaurant in Chelmsford, which is superior Italian food, but impossible to find in the suburban outback. The cafe is an offshoot, same ownership, I think, and should be terrific.

You might pass Scupperjack's on 2A heading from Acton towards Littleton. A very pretty place on a pond. The one time I ate there was almost inedible, and that's saying a lot for me. Gorgeous place, but I wouldn't try it again.

Ordinary decent food, Crossroads Cafe in Nagog Park (behind Scupperjack's)
OK in a pinch.

Now when you venture into Cambridge... If I had one-tenth ofl the money I've spent in restaurants in my life, I wouldn't be posting from a job right now on company time.

Bon Appetit!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:03 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Thanks for the great suggestions Smarty and Brightdoglover. Can't wait to get started! Went to 99 Restaurant tonight with Magic Touch. Very friendly place and the food was good too. Only a block from our place. So excited!
I like going there too -- the waitstaff are friendly and it's got good ole american food. We call it "The Nines" around here. Sounds like you're right in West Concord and walking distance to everything, including the train. I really like that neighborhood.

You're pretty close to Acton. I think there's 5 villages in Acton -- North Acton and West Acton are the more commercial parts. North Acton on Rt-2A/Great Rd has a great jazz cafe (Acton Jazz Cafe). West Acton has things to do all along Mass Ave. at the intersection of Central and also at the intersection of Main St.

You're also pretty close to Maynard, which also has a lot of restaurants. From 99, follow Rt-62 (Main St.) away from Rt-2 for around 3 miles also. There's a bunch of restaurants there on Main St. You'll notice all of the towns in the area have a Main St -- welcome to New England =) Check a map though since Maynard has 1-way streets in that area and it's easy to get lost.

Did someone mention Walden Pond already? It's a little south of Concord Ctr. on 126.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Check a map though since Maynard has 1-way streets in that area and it's easy to get lost.
Yup... I was lost for years....Those roads/streets just keep spliting and combining...Rt62/Rt117/Rt27...Rt2/Rt2A/Rt62/Rt119... its all a blur... GPS may help?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
When my family moved to Concord, it took us at least three years to make it to the Old North Bridge. We did spent many happy hours walking around Great Meadows. In the summertime, we had an afternoon swim membership at the Camp Thoreau fitness center. I love outdoor pools and it was always very clean. They have tennis courts too. We took our dog to the Concord Animal Hospital for checkups and I remember there was a framed picture of Lassie on the wall. If the West Concord shoe store is still there, they were great for fitting anyone with odd feet. They kept their customer's shoe sizes on file with index cards. I hope that the West Concord 5 & 10 is still there.

Oh and Emerson Hospital is awesome. Two years ago, my boyfriend sprained his ankle badly, so I drove him out to their ER. No wait at all. Even when my family moved to Cambridge from Concord, my little sister had fallen and had a gash on her chin, my mom drove her out to Emerson Hospital. lol

Here's a link of what's nearby to you:
country homes, country properties, real estate harvard to princeton ma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts