Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM

404 posts, read 826,659 times

Advertisements

I think this is crazazee, I've never heard of them coming in and taking stock on your furniture. How do they even know you own it? Many people lease office equipment and rent furniture- would that be taxed? What about a designer wardrobe? Expensive cosmetics? A wine collection? Where do they draw the line?

I just can't understand how all of these towns with these incredibly high home valuations (I'm talkin'' to you Newton) don't have enough money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
The taxes here are ridiculous and meanwhile it seems like everyone here who didn't go to college is on section 8, WIC, foodstamps, or something else. I'm going to guess around 20-25% of people in MA are on government benefits while hardworking broke students who are going in to debt are paying for it.
This is a gross generalization. Many people who never went to traditional college are more successful than some white collar people. There are plumbers, beauticians and restaurant owners who do well and will never need government benefits of any kind. While I have witnessed a college student or two use an EBT card to buy sirloin and lobster and drive away from the grocery store in their mini-Cooper or BMW.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
"Moving is not an option due to family and a business."

Then, i suppose you will have to suck it up and pay for the people that don't want to contribute. The day they taxed some boulders on my property is the day i sold the business and said,,Bye Bye!

In too many places now the hard workers are paying for the ones on the dole.

Get a van, live down by the river,,,

Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
I think this is crazazee, I've never heard of them coming in and taking stock on your furniture. How do they even know you own it? Many people lease office equipment and rent furniture- would that be taxed? What about a designer wardrobe? Expensive cosmetics? A wine collection? Where do they draw the line?

I just can't understand how all of these towns with these incredibly high home valuations (I'm talkin'' to you Newton) don't have enough money.
It's called a personal property tax form and all businesses (S-corps, C-corps, LLCs, Partnerships) need to file it annually. We're not talking about individuals like you and me. I file one every year for my company and each of our US subsidiaries. Also, this is not a Massachusetts thing - I file one in NC and one in WA too.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
A guy with a clip board from the town of Brewster just came into my office
and told me he was here to make note of our office equipment so the town can tax us on it.
Remember when your CPA described the business purchases
that you could capitalize or use (vs sell) and thus avoid paying sales tax on?

Now you're experiencing the other side of that.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
A guy with a clip board from the town of Brewster

I also got a letter in the mail that they need to enter my residence to take stock and if they don't get in then they will make a estimate.

Has anyone else had the taxman come to their door to tax things you already payed taxes on?
Serious? Or is my leg being pulled...Someone with a clipboard will enter your home and snoop around to see what you own? And if you own cool stuff (that you paid for with your hard earned money and paid sales tax on) they will make you throw more in the community pot?

Wow... I'm from California and I've never heard of this.
What if, like in my case, you live in a cheap apartment, and have old furniture and hardly have an updated wardrobe because I scrimped and saved to buy a baby grand piano because I play and that's what I love? Would I pay extra for having a piano but then get a tax break cause my clothes are old and I buy stuff at the dollar store? Someone would actually come into my private space and look around with a clipboard?

I suddenly have a sick feeling in my tummy.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Serious? Or is my leg being pulled...Someone with a clipboard will enter your home and snoop around to see what you own? And if you own cool stuff (that you paid for with your hard earned money and paid sales tax on) they will make you throw more in the community pot?

What if, like in my case, you live in a cheap apartment, and have old furniture and hardly have an updated wardrobe because I scrimped and saved to buy a baby grand piano because I play and that's what I love? Would I pay extra for having a piano but then get a tax break cause my clothes are old and I buy stuff at the dollar store? Someone would actually come into my private space and look around with a clipboard?

Unlikely, unless your business was music teacher or musician.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 PM

402 posts, read 686,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
But, i rather doubt you and your neighbors will revolt. You have to start at the ballot box. If you keep voting in folks that want your money then meh!

Also, why not leave? Many nicer state to consider that don't treat you a a checkbook.

The power is in your hands, use it or stay quiet.
This is just one of the many reasons we left mass. And we'll never will go back. I think that these things came to you slowly enough the folks there think its normal! Get out while you can-there are many nicer states to live in. they even have a "view" tax in some places there!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

I'm with 495neighbor on this. I don't see the point of this post and I think everyone posting here is very misguided about the personal property tax for businesses. This tax is only for equipment used for business purposes. I think the main confusion is the difference in corporate vs. individual taxes. We pay very little income tax in MA as individuals because businesses are taxed much higher. I know I'd be paying a lot more taxes if I lived in RI, CT, NY, NJ, etc.

By the way, I work for a company that earns hundreds of millions of dollars per year and we only pay Boston about $600/year in personal property tax. It's not a lot of money. That's the equivalent of a few cents per year for you and me.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I'm with 495neighbor on this. I don't see the point of this post and I think everyone posting here is very misguided about the personal property tax for businesses. This tax is only for equipment used for business purposes. I think the main confusion is the difference in corporate vs. individual taxes. We pay very little income tax in MA as individuals because businesses are taxed much higher. I know I'd be paying a lot more taxes if I lived in RI, CT, NY, NJ, etc.

By the way, I work for a company that earns hundreds of millions of dollars per year and we only pay Boston about $600/year in personal property tax. It's not a lot of money. That's the equivalent of a few cents per year for you and me.
Thanks for clarifying... didn't get it was only for business. I think it was the "entering the home" part that gave me a knee jerk reaction. Strangers with clipboards and personal space is a bad mix!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts