Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times

Advertisements

What type of house are you looking for? I said Maine because my immediate mental image was a 2.5 bath/4 bedroom house with central air (can you tell I grew up in Georgia?). However, you can find 2 bed/1 bath bungalows that might still require a window A/C and updated but not necessarily trendy in decent neighborhoods around 128/95. For instance, in Woburn, you can get this 2 bedroom/1 bath house for under $300,000 and it looks move-in ready. 3 Plympton Street, Woburn MA - Trulia

Is there a particular reason why you are against a condo? There are a few condos selling for around 300K that are quite nice and often include small areas of a yard where you could garden (heck - I have a garden at my rented apartment!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Rhode Island

Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Is there a particular reason why you are against a condo? There are a few condos selling for around 300K that are quite nice and often include small areas of a yard where you could garden (heck - I have a garden at my rented apartment!).
Why would anyone prefer a condo over a free standing home? And you are speaking from the standpoint of being a renter. With a condo, not only is there a mortgage to pay, but property taxes and condo management fees. And what if the neighbors at close quarters don't get along with you? Then you are trapped next to them until one of you is able to sell their condo and leaves.

With a rental apartment, there is the easier exit if things aren't working out. But when people are at close quarters, there is a much greater chance for frictions to occur.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why would anyone prefer a condo over a free standing home? And you are speaking from the standpoint of being a renter. With a condo, not only is there a mortgage to pay, but property taxes and condo management fees. And what if the neighbors at close quarters don't get along with you? Then you are trapped next to them until one of you is able to sell their condo and leaves.

With a rental apartment, there is the easier exit if things aren't working out. But when people are at close quarters, there is a much greater chance for frictions to occur.
What I hate the most about condos is the parking restrictions. They are usually on their own private ways so you can't park on the street, there is little to no visitor parking, and sometimes the best you get is 2 spots.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Condos are overpriced for what they are. There are too many restrictions. And what do you really end up "owning" anyway?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:53 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I'm in a condo now on Revere Beach. Bought it as an investment and ended up moving in later on. The restrictions blow, i have my one deeded parking spot and am fortunate the building is very well sound insulated. But it's boring as hell, hate living on top of others and i'm just not enjoying it as much.

But my mortgage+ condo fees are less than what many people pay for rent, and my electric + natural gas bills are probably $40-50 combined. So i'm able to save money easier than living in an apartment and building equity.

I plan on moving outside 128 within the year. I've lived near Boston my entire life...now i want peace and quiet.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I grew up in a part of the country where the majority of homes are in subdivisions - so you still have home owner's association fees on top of taxes and mortgage. You also have close by neighbors. Choosing a condo that's well insulated can help with sound - but nothing is going to help when your next-door neighbor works on his truck at 6AM or hosts parties in their backyard pool at night (which can happen in a condo too).

And when it comes time to buy, I absolutely prefer a condo over a freestanding home, provided that condo has some space for a garden (ideally a townhouse). To each their own. It was a simple question - a condo is much more within the OP's budget if they want to live closer to the city in an updated home.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
The Boston Globe has an article on homes for $300k within 30 miles of Boston.

http://realestate.boston.com/sales/b...0-300000-price

Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM

184 posts, read 658,597 times
Default Western Mass. - best bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Thanks, all. Wow, prices are really rising. We were hoping to stay in Eastern Massachusetts, not central or western massachusetts because of the more moderate climate.
I was browsing for a house (we're downsizing) in W. Mass., between Amherst and Greenfield and surrounding towns and was stunned at how much a mediocre, un-fixed-up house costs: 200-270k and up! Lately, even here the house prices are rising rapidly. It isn't really about distance from a town. In fact, the closer you live to a city like Holyoke, the cheaper houses become because of the high crime rate and the fact that the town is a mess, physically.

In Amherst, 300k would get you a modest 2-3 bedroom with a small yard, not much more. But if you're willing to go out into the country, not even into hilltowns, but places like Leyden, Bernardston or Conway, you may find a nice place for that amount. Anything turnkey is hard to find nowadays for less than 5k! The trade-off is that for 300, you will probably have a much larger yard than in Eastern MA, which is nice if you have kids, or like gardening and quiet.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 AM

87 posts, read 213,304 times
far, far away in a land.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts