Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:55 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

[quote=western mass and love it;31965595]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laffinatchu View Post
Western Mass (outside of Springfield to Northampton) is the Alabama of Massachusetts.[/quote

Have you ever been in Western Mass to make that claim. Which by the way is completely inaccurate.
Person has probably never even been to WMass. Not old enough to get on the Mass Pike and drive out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM

15 posts, read 39,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post

Have you ever been in Western Mass to make that claim. Which by the way is completely inaccurate.
Lived here for 15 years.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
I saw a Confederate flag on a truck driving through Billerica a few weeks ago. I just rolled my eyes and moved on. I suggest you do the same (and don't shop at that store).

By the way, if you want to see racism in action, check out the controversy over the St. Patrick's Day breakfast in South Boston. And that is in one of the deepest 'blue' cities in America.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Most Yankees that fly the Confederate flag are not bright enough nor experienced enough to realize the racial undertones. They more see it as anti-government, pro-gun, hunters, mud racing, NASCAR, etc. types.

Usually lower income, less educated types.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:11 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I saw a Confederate flag on a truck driving through Billerica a few weeks ago. I just rolled my eyes and moved on. I suggest you do the same (and don't shop at that store).
When I first read this thread I thought it was pure hokum, but truthfully there are pockets of racism alive and well in Massachusetts. The lower income whites who moved to Billerica in the 1960s, '70s and '80s is certainly one of those pockets. Of course some minorities are moving there so it has been improving albeit slowly. Living not far from Amesbury now, I find the people over here to be much nicer and less insular than some of those Lowell suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
By the way, if you want to see racism in action, check out the controversy over the St. Patrick's Day breakfast in South Boston. And that is in one of the deepest 'blue' cities in America.
I recall intense bigotry over the participation of gays and lesbians in the parade from a few years back.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:34 PM

719 posts, read 987,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelesspat View Post
Hello,

So, my wife and I just bought a house in Amesbury and we love it here for the most part. It's quiet, beautiful, the neighbors are great, downtown is nice....but there's one thing that bugs me.

There's a store that I drive by every day now and the owner flies a confederate flag. I realize it is just a flag and everything (with horrible racist historical meaning) but I can't help but be a little concerned. Is there some huge problem with racism in the area that I am unaware of?
The Confederate flag means different things to different people, keep in mind. For a lot of reactionaries (such as the OP, apparently), it means racism and only racism. But for a number of people who fly it, the Stars and Bars are an expression of rebellion against government repression. It doesn't have to be a racist symbol, and intent is important here, unless you're one of those people that just paints everyone south of the Mason-Dixon line with a big, sloppy red paintbrush.

Look, I don't think the South should have won the Civil War, but, at the same, where do you draw the line about restricting free speech? At what point do you in some strange way justify the person flying the flag by showing your angst over it? Also... I have to point this out... do you rage over Southern supporters at Civil War reenactments? And before you tell me that's something different, a lot of those guys are pretty diehard fans of the Confederacy. Do you despise them, too?

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 10-28-2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
As an Asian American, I've never considered anyone flying a Confederate flag (in MA or anywhere in the US) now to be a racist. I'd think them just proud to be from the South as in GA or AL. No biggie.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:58 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
The Confederate flag means different things to different people, keep in mind. For a lot of reactionaries (such as the OP, apparently), it means racism and only racism. But for a number of people who fly it, the Stars and Bars are an expression of rebellion against government repression. It doesn't have to be a racist symbol, and intent is important here, unless you're one of those people that just paints everyone south of the Mason-Dixon line with a big, sloppy red paintbrush.

Look, I don't think the South should have won the Civil War, but, at the same, where do you draw the line about restricting free speech? At what point do you in some strange way justify the person flying the flag by showing your angst over it? Also... I have to point this out... do you rage over Southern supporters at Civil War reenactments? And before you tell me that's something different, a lot of those guys are pretty diehard fans of the Confederacy. Do you despise them, too?
That is a very enlightening point of view. I, for one appreciate you sharing it. I am not one of the reactionaries who screams racism at the sight of confederate flag but I would like to say that I feel a tiny bit smarter today for reading your post. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 PM

164 posts, read 188,528 times
Agree with the above. The confederate flag is not universally an image of racism. The current young generation might feel that way but many middle-aged and older Americans have always considered it an image more of rebellion and "rebels" and it had nothing to do with racism. Is James Dean's movie title, "Rebel without a Cause" racist? Were the Dukes of Hazard racist because they had the flag on their car? This week the Navy Seals had the "Don't Tread on Me" image removed from their gold trident because some Admiral decided that it might connote images of rebellion. These things get carried too far. Don't prove Orwell right. Think for yourself and use common sense.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times
It's easy to roll your eyes when you are sure you aren't going to hear comments (the least of one's worries) about being different.

I have yet to hear of a charming person that uses such symbols and says 'nice' things about the people of color in their community.

Yes, I am glad people use their symbols freely so that I know who to avoid in society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts