Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM

325 posts, read 486,410 times

Advertisements

Pool and AC.

I broke down and ordered a portable so I could enjoy my basement, which gets intolerably hot due to the dehumidifier.

I've also decided with next year's income tax refund we are getting a mini split ductless AC system for the whole house.

Not really enjoying the heat but whatever, looks like the rest of the month will be cool (judging from Accuweather).

Remember this 5 months ago?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 PM

158 posts, read 371,239 times
NOAA CPC has the next two weeks continued HOT and above average for the northeast.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...10temp.new.gif
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...14temp.new.gif

Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,468,109 times
All I can say is YUCK! I have been camping out in the AC, it's so hot that we are only using the pool at night.
Oh how I miss the snow! Both me and my son are winter people, never could understand people's obsession with hot weather. And I really don't get why they act like you are crazy for loving winter.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
They don't do much and what the y do t hey do it slowly. Seriously.
:nodding: The very first time I visited relatives in FL (this was way back when), it was around this time of the year. They never went to the beach, never spent any time outside. Nearly every clerk in every store we went to moved as slow as molasses. It completely confounded me until the morning I decided that yes, I was going to go to the beach because, hello, I'm in FL! I lasted something like 15 minutes. My relatives got a good kick out of that.

Really, my aunt said that most people spend time indoors at this time of the year. She had had a small skin cancer on her shoulder removed as proof.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
I feel like I'm adjusted to the heat now. Spent all day at the beach yesterday and got burned all over my shoulders and back. Then today I just spent 2 hours outside doing yard work and the heat didn't bother me.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:32 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
As my relatives in NC say about the heat and humidity "At least you don't have to shovel it". But hey - you shovel for an hour or 2 and then it's done. Not so much with the heat and humidity, which they seem to have from May to Nov.

The heat and humidity has been here in central Maine for a few days now - but it's "Summer" and love to have it - for a while anyway. Won't be that long - before it really cools off again. Yard this year and all the perennials are outstanding. Climbing rose bush up one side of my porch has more blooms that ever - so sweet smelling too.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sparks View Post
Surfing the various weather sites last few days, it's been more humid in MA than in southern states of LA, AL and GA with higher heat indexes. The jet stream is pumping heat and humidity out of the GOM and with local coastal ocean temps as warm as they are, the northeast is getting blasted. It was over 90° in Bar Harbour, ME on the 4th.

Taking into account the kind of winters we have to put up with and now this kind of summer warming going on, it's pushing my personal climate 'misery index' off the chart. Cooped up a lot in winter and more and more now in the summer as well. JMO, YMMV and all that but looking to make a change and not at all sure what that will be.
DH refuses to move South because of what he says is brutal heat and humidity. I proved to him that it's worse here in WMass by going onto accuweather and posting the temps, "real feels," and humidity levels in Knoxville TN, Athens GA, Charlotte NC, etc. He had nothing to say in reply and stands his ground, but we here know better.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:10 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
We've lived both, Florida and Massachusetts. There's little difference whether you stay indoors during the winter or the summer months. Negatives about the north is the snow and ice. Positives about the north, summer lasts a nanosecond. Next week it'll be 72 degrees and todays temps will be a fading memory.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:14 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Extremes are never pleasant. But between the two I prefer warm. I am happy until about the first week of Jan when I keep telling myself days are going to get longer, any day now. They get only shorter. And darker. If only we can ban the months between feb and may, and double up on may and June I will be happy.
Today has been ok. Spells of cool breeze and less humidity. I might even go out and work in the yard.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:58 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I feel like I'm adjusted to the heat now. Spent all day at the beach yesterday and got burned all over my shoulders and back. Then today I just spent 2 hours outside doing yard work and the heat didn't bother me.
I did six hours of lawn mowing and other yard work over the past two days. It was a bit uncomfortable but otherwise not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts