Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times

Advertisements

I believe the only taxes that will be lower in MA are personal income taxes (5.3% in MA versus 6%-7.75% in NC). Other than that, you can expect to see higher taxes and a greater level of services, to citizens in general, and to the poor most specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 AM

296 posts, read 532,459 times
I don't really have a problem being taxed but this isnt really a tax is it? They want $125 to transfer a license. I just don't see how it can possibly cost this much to transfer a license when other states are that much lower. It seems like they are just adding in extra fees or charging more just because they can or because they want more money.

Maybe the populace isn't OK with being taxed X amount more so the state has to do little things like this here and there to make up for it. But that makes it harder to keep track of where the money is going and what it's being used for. Not a good path to go down...

If they want to tax me tax me, but things like $125 to transfer a license? It's just offensive. Citizens should have never allowed it to go this far

Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM

387 posts, read 916,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
I don't really have a problem being taxed but this isnt really a tax is it? They want $125 to transfer a license. I just don't see how it can possibly cost this much to transfer a license when other states are that much lower. It seems like they are just adding in extra fees or charging more just because they can or because they want more money.
The fees are kind of an alterna-tax. Basically, Romney didn't want to raise taxes (he's Republican), so he closed the budget gap through fees instead.

As Governor, Romney Balanced Budget by Hiking Fees

Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
wow, I don't remember it being this high when I transferred by license from another state 10+ yrs ago. Good thing it's newcomers paying that ridiculous amount, not us who are here already.

I actually pay less in car insurance compared to TX. However, the excise tax (annually fee just to have the car) is another killer... that's 1 of the reason I'm not upgrading my 19 yr old car since the excise tax is much higher for new cars.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 AM

220 posts, read 836,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
How do they justify this? It costs like 10 dollars in NC. People just allow them to charge this much?
I think you've selected Class C license ($125). You should have selected Class D license ($100, regular passenger car), this is equivalent to Class C in NC. This is for 5 years whereas NC charges you annually (but it's still $60 cheaper).

...but wait for $50 registration fee (standard plate) for every 2 yrs, $29 annual vehicle inspection, and vehicle exercise tax at $25 per $1000 of vehicle values.

But nothing compares to approximately 19% sales tax in Quebec Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts