Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 PM

51 posts, read 171,008 times

Advertisements

If this should pass is anyone planning on taking advantage of the incentives?

Wide-ranging Massachusetts bill aims to promote alternative energy sources - The Boston Globe

I know that the initial cost of alternative fuels can be pricey but the long term savings might make it worth it for the people that can invest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM

212 posts, read 948,267 times
We're going to seriously think about it. With oil about $100 barrel and gas over $3, I don't see things getting better any time soon. If we have a really cold winter, alternative energy will seem like a good deal.

I've thought about a hybrid car, but I have a good car that gets 34 mpg already and I don't really want car payments. I'd like to get solar hot water - I hear that pays back really fast.

I think the energy conservation incentives make the most sense. We've been insulating our house over the last few years and have replaced all the windows and bought a programmable thermostat. Those things help a lot.

I'm glad the state is looking at this problem and hope the federal government takes it seriously, too. We're going to run out of oil and then where will we be? How will we stay warm?

Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 PM

967 posts, read 4,785,550 times
I would love to take advantage of tax incentives to install solar panels. The new photovoltaic panels that align with the roofline seem like a nice choice. Does anyone here have experience with them?

Re: incentives for hybrid vehicles, I believe there already is one in Massachusetts but don't recall the amount. We have a PRIUS and I could swear our tax person mentioned something about that last year. I'm loving the PRIUS!! It looks like such a small car from the outside but it's actually pretty roomy and has excellent MPG.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:09 AM

We went to the NESEA Green Building Conference last spring and I know there is another one planned in March 08 in Boston. You can meet every dealer from around the region with every type of solar panels and solar hot water system, etc. It's very interesting to talk to the vendors, especially if you're thinking of buying some form of alternative energy product. There are builders who use super-insulated prefab walls, etc. If you are interested in this type of thing, you should attend.

Look at the NESEA site for details. NorthEast Sustainable Energy Association

Old 11-09-2007, 07:15 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
The idea sounds decent, but I wonder how much it will cost the taxpayers over the next 5-10 years and what we will get out of it. I just think it could be another big dig type thing.

I really thing states should look more closely into nuclear power plants.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:22 AM

I think we all need to look at what will happen if we don't conserve energy and develop alternative energy. With CO2 concentrations at the highest levels ever recorded, we might be in great danger of catastrophic climate change. Better conserve now - it saves us money and saves the earth's natural resources. We have become such a wasteful society.

Nuclear is too expensive, takes too long to get built, it's too dangerous, and nobody wants it in their back yard. Plus, with the political instability around the world, do you really want more radioactive materials in the hands of terrorists? At least they can't take wind turbine blades and blow up a city.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:32 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
I will definitely look into the solar panels!
And nuclear isn't the answer, do you want one in YOUR backyard? I don't. Do you trust for profit companies to keep them safe and we still don't have a way of storing the nuclear waste safely. The terrorist issue is real also, they would make the PERFECT target. Imagine what could happen.
Reducing our energy consumption is the way to go plus using wind, solar, geothermal etc. We could probably cut our energy consumption in half, if we employ all these methods.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:14 AM

51 posts, read 171,008 times
Like airdaley said nucleart energy takes to long. It takes 30 years for a nuclear power plant to actually begin to produce at peak production.

What have people done to conserve energy, whether it is to save $$ or the environment?

I drive over 150 miles a day, I sold my SUV and bought a vehicle that get about 35mpg. Plus, as my light bulbs blow I am changing them with compact flourescent lighting that has a 7 year life expectancy. They are a little more costly but if they do in fact last close to 7 years than it will be well worth the investment. Another thing that my family has done is that we do not turn our thermostat above 62 degrees. It is perfect for us because we are cold weather people but it is a little cold for some so we turn it up when we have company.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:19 AM

270 posts, read 1,361,121 times
Totally agree with katzenfreund, reducing our consumption is the only way until we have new ways of generating energy. Everybody has to do it and we have to do it now. Not every homeowner has the means to upgrade and insulate their home, nit everybody can buy a new car. But there are so many little things that add up: bring your own shopping bag, dry your clothes on a line outside whenever the weather is nice, take the train, carpool, bike, install energy saving shower heads, get some wood for the fireplace, compost in your backyard, recycle every piece of paper, turn your lights and TV's off, use glass and porcelain, conserve your water, use less chemicals, cook your meals at home....and don't forget. Teach your kids!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2bmanchy View Post
Like airdaley said nucleart energy takes to long. It takes 30 years for a nuclear power plant to actually begin to produce at peak production.

What have people done to conserve energy, whether it is to save $$ or the environment?

I drive over 150 miles a day, I sold my SUV and bought a vehicle that get about 35mpg. Plus, as my light bulbs blow I am changing them with compact flourescent lighting that has a 7 year life expectancy. They are a little more costly but if they do in fact last close to 7 years than it will be well worth the investment. Another thing that my family has done is that we do not turn our thermostat above 62 degrees. It is perfect for us because we are cold weather people but it is a little cold for some so we turn it up when we have company.
We have installed low flow shower heads, which save hot water/energy - besides saving water. Also use the energy saving lighbulbs. Turned out thermostat to 60 (brrrrrr...), turn of lights as soon as we leave the room, purchased an energy star washing machine and will be purchasing an energy star fridge next. Our cars both get good gas mileage. I drive as little as possible and consolidate trips. Next year, after our move, I am planning on starting a vegetable garden, which will save money and energy. Rather than having stuff transported to stores across the country, I try to grow what I can and get the rest from local farms (CSA/community supported agriculture). I will be using my bicycle as much as possible, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: