Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:09 AM

7 posts, read 13,239 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband will be working in Billerica next year, and we are a family of 4 (children ages 3 and 5). We are looking for a good school district and a charming town center that has character and is walkable, and a "decent" proximity to the water. We have lived in Marblehead before, but this is a tricky commute from anywhere! So this is what we've narrowed it down to based on my research. I'd love your opinions between:

Chelmsford or Andover?

Newburyport or Ipswich?

Also, any other town recommendations are welcome! Our housing budget is up to $550,000 for a 4 bedroom single family home, and we would like at least 1/3 acre of property. Many thanks.

Last edited by bensheimer; 07-16-2013 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: bolded title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Try dunstable. It's a real hidden gem

Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 AM

34 posts, read 46,878 times
Looks like Chelmsford and Andover has the most options in your price range.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times
You would need to be very anxious to live near the coast to go with Ipswich or Newburyport. The time spent commuting (not to say the gasoline, tires, and wearing out a car) won't be paid for--and there are plenty of nice houses in the inland towns, and it's not abusing your children to put them in school there. I'd say work outward from your husband's workplace, and give strongest consideration to the nearest places.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Andover has better regarded schools, but that doesn't mean that Chelmsford has bad ones. I like Andover because of the commuter rail stop. Chelmsford has none. Andover is more upscale (and expensive) as well.
Newburyport is very walkable, charming town with lot to offer. There is always something to do there.
Ipswich is smaller, quieter, and off the beaten track kind a place, that offers an amazing perk to its residents: famous Crane's beach. Both towns can get bit touristy and crowded in the summer. Schools are probably very comparable, although most people will say that NBPT schools are notch better. Both have train in town.
Visit all of them and see what energy attracts you more. They are all different.
Andover and NBPT are more upscale, more vibrant, upper middle class types of town. NBPT has very distinct seaport flavor, that Andover lacks. Andover is home to famous and very prestigious Phillips Academy in its downtown area.
Ipswich and Chelmsford are more homey; with less transplants; less expensive, but very nice, solid communities. I would say that Ipswich has nicer downtown IMO than Chelmsford.
Hope it helps.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. Your insight is great! I wanted to add that my husband will be working from home part of the week, and only going to Billerica perhaps 2 or 3x/week, so a longer commute is not so bad. And he is used to commuting from RI! We are currently living in Germany but our assignment is ending next year, and we are starting to do the research now. Many thanks, please keep your comments coming. They are much appreciated.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
I commute 3 days per week to Billerica and live in Lynnfield. With your budget I would focus on Westford and Littleton. Plenty of my colleagues live in these communities and seem quite pleased. The commute to towns like Marblehead, Ipswich or Newburyport, isn't justifiable unless you really want to live closer to the ocean.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Given the OP's situation, price range, and company loyalty, I wouldn't be surprised if the husband had a company vehicle.

If that's the case.. why not live next to the ocean.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Given the OP's situation, price range, and company loyalty, I wouldn't be surprised if the husband had a company vehicle.

If that's the case.. why not live next to the ocean.
Morris, we don't have a company vehicle, which would make commuting to an ocean town much better indeed. Judging from the map, a 30 or 40 mile commute to an ocean town doesn't appear too bad, but that's why I value your opinion...if it would make for a miserable commute, then we won't do that.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I commute 3 days per week to Billerica and live in Lynnfield. With your budget I would focus on Westford and Littleton. Plenty of my colleagues live in these communities and seem quite pleased. The commute to towns like Marblehead, Ipswich or Newburyport, isn't justifiable unless you really want to live closer to the ocean.
I will research both Westford and Littleton, thank you. Do you think it's worth also looking at Groton, in that case? A thriving town center is very important to us. Which of these three towns would best fit the bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts