Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 AM

160 posts, read 505,817 times

Advertisements

A property that we are interested in medfield is listed as being in the 'floodzone'. The charles river is flowing near to it (rt 109 main st passes over the river). The house itself looks in very good condition. FEMA map shows that the 'Zone X' (1 in 500yr chance of getting flood) is near to this property or probably the edge of this property abutts the zone (not the actual house)

Anyone from medfield know about this area?

How flood prone is this part of medfield?

How much work is to get the property off the flood zone list if the BFE (Base Floor Elevation) is above the flood level.

We would luv to hear perspectives if you own/'ve owned a home listed as a flood zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,749 times
The Charles floods into the natural area you describe about annually. This is usually early Spring, where the snowmelt combined with heavy rains sometimes even flood the river over route 109 in the natural basin area. For the rest of the year you can enjoy the pretty undeveloped land and kayak down the Charles.

Homes built immediately adjacent to the natural basin, which appears to be the area you describe, would be threatened with flooding at least annually. It would thus seem like a good idea to look for signs of water entry into the basement or evidence of flood damage on the property, assuming the home isn't new construction.

No idea about removing it from being listed in the flood zone.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Thanks for your response, Elias. Appreciate it .

Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,589 times
Based on more extreme weather patterns we have been experiencing lately, I would be very careful with any of those properties. In fact, persoanlly, I have two house, on hills for a reason.... :-)

Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 AM

Logs and Dogs, what am I missing to consider while making this assessment since I'm a first time home buyer.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,589 times
I don't think you are necessarily missing anything as it sounds like you had the home appraised and through that process you found out it was in the flood zone. So you now are aware of the risks.
As someone else mentioned, I would have the home thoroughly inspected by a home inspection outfit (whcih you will probably do anyways); I would ask them to specifically look for any indication of past water intrusion etc.

If the house checks out as not having any issues, I would then look into the cost of true flood insurance just in case, your homeonwers insurance will most likely not cover a flood related loss.

If you do all that, then I think you are as protected as you can be in that situation short of not living near the river....

But that is just my opinion.....

Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM

422 posts, read 1,474,653 times
Do check on flood insurance....that could be exorbitant especially if not grandfathered.
I too bought a house on the flood zone....although I don't mind it, I did factor that into the offer price and made it known to the seller/agent that is so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts