Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 03:33 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,742 times

Advertisements

I have seen many posts from people about switching from oil to gas - but very little information about the company that they used. If you have a recommendation, good or bad, please let me know! Post it or DM it. I would just like to get a few more estimates before making a decision. I have seen really polarized reviews on Angie's List so at this point, I feel like I will have to choose between a rock and a hard place.

I have forced air heating so that might limit my choices. I appreciate any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 PM

87 posts, read 213,295 times
someone in my other group posted this:
We used Charlie Lovett of Lovett Pluming and Heating in Arlington. Great local guy, great work, fair price. We were in the situation where there was gas on the street, but not actually to our house. So we had to pay National Grid to run it from the street to the house. It was something like $1600. Then we had the plumber do the rest including helping us order the boiler itself. We got rebates from National Grid.

hope it helps

Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 PM

220 posts, read 835,926 times
I did the conversion from oil-to-gas about 2 years ago. If you currently don't have gas connected to your house, the wait time is at least a month to get the city/town approval of digging permit. National Grid charges $500 for the permit fee and the work (up to 100-ft I think). These are the steps:
1. Call the utility company - mine is National Grid. They can confirm whether you have gas line on the street or not.
2. If there's gas line, the utility company will start the process contacting the city/town for permit to open the road.
3. Once the utility company received the permit, they will contact you to set up the schedule. The gas company will get the gas line to your house's foundation only (at this point). You should start ordering the system at this time.
4. The HVAC installer will install the system and extend the gas line to where the gas line meets at the foundation. I had a plumber since I had boiler installed.
5. The city inspector will inspect the system and the empty gas line. The empty gas line must meets certain psi set by the inspector's standard. The inspector will issue a medallion signed by him/her indicating that the system has pass the pressure test.
6. Call the utility company for the gas meter and set up your account. The utility company will not install the meter if he/she doesn't see the signed medallion.
7. Call the HVAC people to turn on the gas and test the system.

The whole process took about a month and half. Don't expect to call for updates...you'll get your blood boiled. The total cost was around $5,800 with equipment purchased and installation. There was $1000 rebate.

If it's HVAC, I would recommend Berry Mechanical. I'm not sure if he goes to metrowest. Their after installation service is excellent. Their price is not the cheapest but you get quality work and the best service after installation (my experience).

Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 AM

116 posts, read 319,989 times
My plumber, Bob Jansky, converted both the systems in our 2-family. Recommended.

Jansky Plumbing - Heating - Air Conditioning

Old 08-13-2013, 07:22 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Not that this will work but when I lived in MA, if you ordered from and paid the gas company for a gas hot water heater (as in a monthly rental) they would run the gas line into your house and run the vent for cheap. If you just wanted the gas line alone, it was expensive. There was a contract but in the long run, it was less expensive to use their hot water heater.

More then one way to skin a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts