Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:52 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times

Advertisements

Yes, I do miss Mass. I lived in Lexington for a year and then moved back to California two years ago where I had lived for 43 years. You have a different perspective when you have not grown up in an area that is new to you. Some people that have not grown up in California tend to think it would be better to be there than in the east as I think it would be better to be back in Mass because I was not raised there. I moved back for family and for my old memories but I am still drawn to my impression of what Boston was for me and plan on moving back with my family next year. Not having grown up with snow, four seasons, American history, and the beauty of New Enland, I miss it very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 07:21 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Yes, I do miss Mass. I lived in Lexington for a year and then moved back to California two years ago where I had lived for 43 years. You have a different perspective when you have not grown up in an area that is new to you. Some people that have not grown up in California tend to think it would be better to be there than in the east as I think it would be better to be back in Mass because I was not raised there. I moved back for family and for my old memories but I am still drawn to my impression of what Boston was for me and plan on moving back with my family next year. Not having grown up with snow, four seasons, American history, and the beauty of New Enland, I miss it very much.
Well the fall is beautiful, and if you can drive up from MA to Vermont during early to mid Oct. beautiful vibrant colors of the leaves. You will not notice 2-3 hours pass by. Snow you will get,and will be hating it around Mother's Day . American History? Hmm, I thought the same when I moved from Miami to Boston 15 years ago (I left Boston for NC about 2 months ago). Honestly you have to go find it, but to your point it is there. The freedom trail, Walden's pond, etc. Remember to get a good lobster roll in Gloucster, nothing beats it!

Old 10-22-2006, 09:33 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Default forgot the Clam chowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post
I miss Mass. Grew up in Gloucester,living in Fla. for the last 12 yrs.I miss family,change of seasons,fried clams, and the smell of the ocean!!
you forgot the clam chowder!. i liked walking in the Boston Commons,
and when small seeing all the Christmas lights, and the Enchancted Village
that Jordan Marsh did. It was a fairy tale for any child. They had the windows with moving figures, and one whole floor with trains, dolls,
and all good toys.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:57 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well the fall is beautiful, and if you can drive up from MA to Vermont during early to mid Oct. beautiful vibrant colors of the leaves. You will not notice 2-3 hours pass by. Snow you will get,and will be hating it around Mother's Day . American History? Hmm, I thought the same when I moved from Miami to Boston 15 years ago (I left Boston for NC about 2 months ago). Honestly you have to go find it, but to your point it is there. The freedom trail, Walden's pond, etc. Remember to get a good lobster roll in Gloucster, nothing beats it!
It's funny you should mention Vermont, Miker, as that is how we ended up living in Ma. My family and I fufilled a life long dream of seeing the fall colors in Stowe, Vermont three years ago. We were living in Virginia at the time and drove up the first week of October. Then we spent two days in Boston and moved to Lexington, Ma. the next month. I actually cried when we first drove up Mass. Ave. to move into our apartment. It was the first snow of the season and I could not believe the fairy tale look of the village at night. It reminded me of Bedford Falls in It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stuart. The only thing I don't like there is walking little dogs (4) in thick snow and mosquitos. When we came back to California, my son and I looked like we had chicken pox! What we loved was going on adventures every weekend to a new place and having experiences you cannot have anywhere else.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:58 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
It's funny you should mention Vermont, Miker, as that is how we ended up living in Ma. My family and I fufilled a life long dream of seeing the fall colors in Stowe, Vermont three years ago. We were living in Virginia at the time and drove up the first week of October. Then we spent two days in Boston and moved to Lexington, Ma. the next month. I actually cried when we first drove up Mass. Ave. to move into our apartment. It was the first snow of the season and I could not believe the fairy tale look of the village at night. It reminded me of Bedford Falls in It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stuart. The only thing I don't like there is walking little dogs (4) in thick snow and mosquitos. When we came back to California, my son and I looked like we had chicken pox! What we loved was going on adventures every weekend to a new place and having experiences you cannot have anywhere else.

Well it goes to show you, there's a time and place for everyone. Mass was GREAT for a fresh out of college guy like myself from Miami. The first snow in Chelmsford, MA was literally like a norman Rockwell painting. So much of life is attitude and how you choose to respond to the things around you. I've left MA and now live in NC and love it very much, but I do have fond memories and won't blast MA (as I could very easily, LOL).

But...yes, the drive to Vermont is such a wonderful experience. Actually just driving down route 3 or route 495 will do the trick but you have to do it during those first couple weeks of October, maybe the 3rd week in October to catch the full brightness.

A wonderful life is my all time favorite holiday movie and I have to see it on TV- it's not the same for me renting it. Followed by a close second of the Peanuts Christmas Special

Hopefully you get an opportunity to take in First Night (I never did, to darn cold! lol )

Old 10-22-2006, 09:19 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
you forgot the clam chowder!. i liked walking in the Boston Commons,
and when small seeing all the Christmas lights, and the Enchancted Village
that Jordan Marsh did. It was a fairy tale for any child. They had the windows with moving figures, and one whole floor with trains, dolls,
and all good toys.
Jordan Marsh? It was closed so long ago. Remember Filenes? That is closed too; taken over by Macy. Gillette? Yup... that is gone. Oh yeah, Reebok! Adidas got that one. So where do you think people working for those companies go? Out of here.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 16,168 times
I used to live in Attleboro.
The only thing I miss about Mass is my friends, the ocean, and having sidewalks. Im living in London Kentucky now and its great. Everyone around here minds ther own busniess and You can live in middle of no where if u want to.There is no house right next to yours where everyone can see into your windows (unless you want to live in a housing complex or in a trailer park). You can rent a 5 bedroom house with 2 full bathrooms for $650 a month. I dont have to put up with hearing sirins at all hours of the night. The weather is fairly good. And there is accualy forests and trees around. Even the air is better. When I lived in mass I had realy bad asthma and now I dont even need a inhaler. And last but not least everything is cheeper here, from Ciggs to houses. So do I miss mass... No way.

Last edited by J.Hibbard; 10-22-2006 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-23-2006, 09:11 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Default Filenes and the clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Jordan Marsh? It was closed so long ago. Remember Filenes? That is closed too; taken over by Macy. Gillette? Yup... that is gone. Oh yeah, Reebok! Adidas got that one. So where do you think people working for those companies go? Out of here.
Whenever we needed to meet soneone it was by the clock that Filenes had.

Do you remember the organ man, who had the cute little monkey who would collect coins? Gilchrist also is long gone. And the macaroons that were so good.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:12 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Hibbard View Post
I used to live in Attleboro.
The only thing I miss about Mass is my friends, the ocean, and having sidewalks. Im living in London Kentucky now and its great. Everyone around here minds ther own busniess and You can live in middle of no where if u want to.There is no house right next to yours where everyone can see into your windows (unless you want to live in a housing complex or in a trailer park). You can rent a 5 bedroom house with 2 full bathrooms for $650 a month. I dont have to put up with hearing sirins at all hours of the night. The weather is fairly good. And there is accualy forests and trees around. Even the air is better. When I lived in mass I had realy bad asthma and now I dont even need a inhaler. And last but not least everything is cheeper here, from Ciggs to houses. So do I miss mass... No way.

Hello J. -

Sounds like you found yourself a KY haven. Good for you & glad to hear your asthma cleared up. I'm in Boston, with horrible asthma this ragweed season & can't wait to be leaving in a few months. Thinking strongly on returning to my birthstate, PA. Out in the hills, like you.

I've been thru London. You're right near the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest, but boy, did you choose a place in the middle of no where. I was curious, is there any industry there, or many jobs? I'm thinking you'd need to work from home if you live in London.

Glad you chose well & you've adjusted nicely. Good luck... Baltic_Celt

Old 10-31-2006, 04:02 AM

245 posts, read 809,334 times
Default Nice Place to Visit

I grew up on the South Shore, went to college in Boston, and then had a "bachelorette" pad in Boston for 5 years in my early twenties (yikes! can you imagine having your own apt downtown these days?! And this was just 10 years ago.) Both sides of my family are VERY loyal Bostonians who basically got off the boat in the 1800s and never moved. So I have a lot of pride, history, and feel at home in MA... but though I like it there, I don't miss it at all! Cape Cod has great beaches, so does NC, FL, CA, etc. Cities? Boston is great but my God, I love NYC and SF too. MA/Boston is a great place, one of many many great places people should have the chance to experience.

In my opinion, being an "ex-pat" Bostonian is a heck of a lot of fun... we're all nice to each other when we're not fighting over lanes on the highway. I would also love to see my kids go to college in MA, and I'll really enjoy visiting them there... and then come home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts