Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 PM

830 posts, read 1,063,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLPman View Post
Well after graduating my Massachusetts high school, I attended college in California and lived in Los Angeles. After that, I got an internship with a company run out of Las Vegas, but I only stayed there for a year because I got a job offer in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, which is where I currently reside.

It works for me because I really love the warm weather and I hate the cold. Massachusetts' summers are the best, though. It's funny because while everybody comes down here for winter, most of us try and go up there for summer.
You wouldn't miss this winter and I won't miss the winters either. I just pray that there are other areas that are easier (I don't mean easy) to make a living. Not only do I not mind working hard, I actually like the challenge but as I am getting older I am finding it harder and harder to stay a float here in my area of MA. Please tell me it's not this hard way of a life everywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 12:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
God no.

To be fair I wasn't born in MA and didn't live there very long, but living there to the end of my days was NOT an option. Sure, there are some really great things about MA: Cape Cod, Plymouth, the beautiful old towns and well-kept suburbs; Boston of course!!!!; the nice and decent people that DO live there; and the cost of living outside the Hub is not as bad as most people might think. But compared to some other states, the traffic, crowding, pollution, lack of open space and fast pace of life are just aren't for me.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM

24 posts, read 64,215 times
Cool Carolyn in DeLand

I've just spent almost two hours reading a lot of the posts and am missing New England more than ever!! It looks like how you feel about MA all boils down to your perception of it and/or wherever you're living now. I'd like to join the side of the people who really, really miss MA!!!!! I grew up in a little town called, Whitman (home of the Toll House Cookie). I loved it!!!!!!!!!! Moved to Florida in 1970 (DeLand) and have been here ever since. I think about Whitman a lot and miss all of the same things I've read on these posts. It seems, at least for some of us, MA living is in our blood. I've wanted to move back since the day I left, and that feeling has never gone away. It would be a challange for me to be able to afford to move back plus 4 of my grown children live in FL (and some of my grandchildren). One son lives in Ohio (the only one who was born in Florida). The others were born in Brockton, MA. I'm going to keep reading this site because it's so great to know that there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way I do. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:26 PM

50 posts, read 159,448 times
Frozen Angel,
Boomerang is definitely right. After living in so many locations and traveling to so many states, you learn that New England has a lot of similarities to other areas of the country. In some places life will be easier, in some places life will be harder. It just depends what you do and who you meet.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLPman View Post
Frozen Angel,
Boomerang is definitely right. After living in so many locations and traveling to so many states, you learn that New England has a lot of similarities to other areas of the country. In some places life will be easier, in some places life will be harder. It just depends what you do and who you meet.
I guess if you are living here you want to be there and if you are there you want to be here, right? I really do appreciate a lot of the good things about MA but I'm too old to be cold and turning 50 is making me want to experience another area. I've moved around MA a little but that's not the same.

Someone here mentioned you are limiting your experiences if you live your whole life in the same place. I tend to feel that is true ....

If only I knew where to move to. That is the biggest struggle.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
In New England, you don't see doublewides, singlewides and every car or tractor they've ever owned in their front yard. New England has "zoning" which is a foreign word in parts of the south and mid-Atlantic. Rude is getting in your face about religion in the south. You won't catch a New Englander asking you, "Have you found a church yet?". You won't see 20' high "crosses" on the back roads screaming "Blood of the Lord, Save Us"; "Mark of the Beast", etc. In New England there is a strange phenomenon called: refinement. Go to a big city anywhere, and you'll get arrogance. If you think Boston is "dirty", head south if you want to see true trash and dirt. Miss Mass. ? every day.
COMPLETELY AGREE

Old 01-03-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
COMPLETELY AGREE
Too Funny ... I'm "FrozenAngel" and you are "OregonRain". Is there really any perfect place?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
Default Don't miss it

Julz -- all those things you miss about MA are right here in Maine. I was born and raised in MA and moved away to Maine. There is very little I miss except a little town on the South Shore called Cohasset. If I had my way and could afford a small house there to retire in - I would! Who knows I could win the Megabucks - but it isn't likely

Old 01-04-2008, 12:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Rude is getting in your face about religion in the south. You won't catch a New Englander asking you, "Have you found a church yet?". You won't see 20' high "crosses" on the back roads screaming "Blood of the Lord, Save Us"; "Mark of the Beast", etc. In New England there is a strange phenomenon called: refinement..
I was stunned to find Bible quotes Scotch-taped to every computer in the Human Resources Dept. at University of Virginia in Charlottesville. I had to doublecheck my agenda --- hmmm, is this the day I'm at Notre Dame?
Too weird! Consider this quote from Thomas Jefferson, founder of UVa:
"Religion is a subject on which I have ever been most scrupulously reserved. I have considered it as a matter between every man and his Maker in which no other, and far less the public, had a right to intermeddle." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Rush, 1813

Old 01-05-2008, 04:49 PM

24 posts, read 64,215 times
Default From Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Too Funny ... I'm "FrozenAngel" and you are "OregonRain". Is there really any perfect place?

I'm new at this, but here goes......Do you think the reason we miss MA is, for some of us, because that's where we grew up? Do you know anyone from Whitman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts