Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 AM

113 posts, read 343,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Well if you like snow but I don't agree with April thru December. If I have to turn my heat on, it's too cold. This year the heat went on in October and if I hadn't run out of oil, I would have also turned my heat on in May.

So I would say that it is nice weather here between June and September.
It all depends, I remember living up there where it was warm like 60-70s in April, even March sometimes and shoot I remember one December we got up to about 60-70 a day or two. That is another thing about up North you never know what the year is going to bring as far as weather. Look at this past year, I moved down to TN in Sept and talked to my mom, who still lives in MA, all the time. She told me about the weather and well this past winter wasn't the worst but it was up there will all that snow they got, and look at this summer its June and has already hit in the 90's even 100's... and that is definitely not normal for up there. So its not like it is cold 9 months out of the year every year.... Thats the joy of New England, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute..... It's always changing and not always predictable. Thats what I love the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 08:29 AM

830 posts, read 1,064,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA_brnNrsd View Post
Thats the joy of New England, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute..... It's always changing and not always predictable. Thats what I love the most.
I was filling my gas tank one day on one of those weird NE weather days and the owner who was from another country said to me, "I've lived all over the world and only in New England can you witness all 4 seasons in one day!"

Isn't that the truth!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
I was filling my gas tank one day on one of those weird NE weather days and the owner who was from another country said to me, "I've lived all over the world and only in New England can you witness all 4 seasons in one day!"

Isn't that the truth!!!
Yeah that is so the truth! For people that aren't from there and not used to it I can see them hating it. But if you grew up there like I did, I love it.

My dad moved to Florida and while its great to visit I don't think I could ever live there, and living in TN its not horrible but we still get realatively cold winters and because the air is different down here is feels colder then up north. Plus we do get dusting of snow here. It melts like an hour later but I would much rather if I am going to get snow I want the full blown snow not this dusting crap lol

Old 06-14-2008, 04:45 AM

24 posts, read 64,228 times
Default carolynrick2004

Did you know in Florida we're either called "Yakees" of "Damn Yakees"? "Yankees", if we come down and then leave. "Damn Yankees", if we come down to FL and stay. I'm a "Damn Yakee", but would like to be a "Yankee" once again!!!

Last edited by carolynrick2004; 06-14-2008 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-14-2008, 07:44 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I grew up on the South Shore and most recently lived on Cape Cod (Bourne) for 8 years. I loved living on the Cape my first few years and then grew to hate it. I'm a single, young professional and that is the worst place for someone like me to live. I took a new job back in September that would allow me to leave MA. I've been traveling all over the country and now there is a possibility I'll be returning to MA for this job, but to Framingham. In a way I wouldn't mind because I would probably live in Boston or just outside of it which I have always dreamed of. I now believe in Karma.
I lived in Ca. when San Luis Obispo was a great little secret but the secret finally came out to people in Los Angeles regarding the lower housing costs and there was a huge deluge of people moving there. The residents of SLO hated people from L.A. trampling on their fair city and driving up the cost of housing so much so that if you were spotted with license plates from L.A. your car would be vandalized. This was in the 80's.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 24,772 times
I miss Massachusetts like crazy! I miss the USA like crazy! I cannot WAIT to be back. There's nothing like NE seafood, oceans, fall colors, summer, western Mass...I was born there and I will die there! I LOVE IT!!

Old 07-04-2008, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 13,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffisok View Post
I don't miss Massachusetts one bit. I've lived in 10 different states and have yet to find one worse than Mass. I left there as soon as I was old enough to get out. unfortunately had to move back there a couple of times for family reasons and both times stayed about 2 years and couldn't wait to get back out. I live in New York now (Have for the last 3 years) and would have to say it's comparable, but still better than Mass. (And fortunately i'll be getting out of NY as well and moving to Texas at the end of summer). If my family weren't still there I would never step foot back in Massachusetts. It's and ugly state (Except for Cape Cod). Most of the people are incredibly uneducated and outright stupid (There are exceptions). The laws are assinine, etc. I'd rather live almost anywhere else than back in Massachusetts.

Just my two cents.
You got it exactly. MA is turning to crap by the minute. I got out of there as soon as I POSSIBLY could. When people say MA people are rude, they are RIGHT! The only reason some people like MA is because they've never been anywhere else. Everything is expensive, crime is growing and growing, the amount of people on welfare is growing, it's hard to find a place to go that isn't nasty or dirty, and 99% of the people are unfriendly and stuck up. The people who say it's great are living in denial. It used to be a nice place but it has simply turned to hell and it's not getting better, it's getting worse. The only place I'd reccomend is the Berkshires but alas there are no jobs there. If you like living in a crowded scummy place with the WORST ROADS IN THE ENTIRE NATION and yes, I have been to every state, and to top it off pretentious, arrogant, unfriendly people and a big chunk of welfare recipients living off of your dime to buy drugs, steal from you and shoot at people, then move there. Oh and the taxes, those are great, too. Don't forget the lovely excise tax on your vehicle. And don't forget about the state police who would rather ticket you than clean up the place. The whole state STINKS. If you live there open up your eyes and experience another place to see what life could be like. Every time I have to go to MA I cringe in disgust. It really is that bad.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazab12 View Post
You got it exactly. MA is turning to crap by the minute. I got out of there as soon as I POSSIBLY could. When people say MA people are rude, they are RIGHT! The only reason some people like MA is because they've never been anywhere else. Everything is expensive, crime is growing and growing, the amount of people on welfare is growing, it's hard to find a place to go that isn't nasty or dirty, and 99% of the people are unfriendly and stuck up. The people who say it's great are living in denial. It used to be a nice place but it has simply turned to hell and it's not getting better, it's getting worse. The only place I'd reccomend is the Berkshires but alas there are no jobs there. If you like living in a crowded scummy place with the WORST ROADS IN THE ENTIRE NATION and yes, I have been to every state, and to top it off pretentious, arrogant, unfriendly people and a big chunk of welfare recipients living off of your dime to buy drugs, steal from you and shoot at people, then move there. Oh and the taxes, those are great, too. Don't forget the lovely excise tax on your vehicle. And don't forget about the state police who would rather ticket you than clean up the place. The whole state STINKS. If you live there open up your eyes and experience another place to see what life could be like. Every time I have to go to MA I cringe in disgust. It really is that bad.
I see some of your points but I think this is over doing it a little. I lived in western MA 21 years until I moved to TN recently and yes its not the best place to live but I wouldn't say its as bad as you are saying. A lot of people complain about rude people in MA, hate to say it but there are rude people EVERYWHERE! Being raised in western MA (I don't know how it is in eastern MA) but I haven't come across many rude people. At least not like I have read on some of these posts. I do admit to the roads, they seem to take the easy way out. I will also admit taxes there are pretty ridiculous. We may have had excise tax but at least we don't tax essentials like food. TN tax is high. Its 8.25 for food then 9.75 for state tax. Point is in every state I am sure (don't quote me on it cause I haven't been to every one) someone has something to complain about.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Tonight I watched The Boston Pops at the band shell on the Charles with fireworks for the July 4th celebration and it brought back so many bitter sweet memories. My parents took me to see The Pops so often I came to think of Arthur Fiedler as a man I knew.

On one occasion we took our motor home into Boston filled with friends to watch the fireworks over Boston Harbor.

Its at times like this that I miss New England so much.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:40 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
I recently moved back to MA after traveling all over the country over the past 9 months with the hopes of not returning back here to live when I started my new job. However, I quickly realized the grass isn't always greener. I'm glad I got away for a while because it made be appreciate MA. I'm the last person in the world who would be saying this 9 months ago but I'm glad I'm back in MA. You're going to have nice people and not so nice people no matter where you go in this world. All the bad people are not all concentrated in the Northeast. I find the people up here to be more real than most places in the country. To answer the OP, I did miss MA after a while and I'm glad I'm back. It's home to me and a great place at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts