Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 07:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
As a current New Hampshire resident with Massachusetts ties, I generally agree with Valerie's comments but in my opinion I am more worried about New York culture creeping up into New England from Connecticut. NY and CT are far worse than Massachusetts in regards to fiscal irresponsibility and socioeconomic stupidity.
Massachusetts has a constitution that requires a flat state income tax and a constitution that allows ballot initiatives. Prop 2 1/2 and the flat state income tax forced fiscal restraint on state and local government decades before most of the other blue states. In the 1970's, the state was called Taxachusetts. Today, it's middle of the pack for tax burden nationally and, other than New Hampshire, the low tax state in the Northeast. If you're not commutable to the Boston job market, the overall tax burden is well below the national average. It's the property taxes on expensive metro-Boston homes that skew the tax burden.

New Hampshire has no cities. Manchester at 110,000 is the only "city" and even that is tiny by regional standards. It doesn't have the budget crushing failed city problem found everywhere in the Northeast Corridor states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 AM

372 posts, read 576,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
in_newengland, here is a blog by a Connecticut woman who finds an incredible number of interesting and quirky things to see and do in CT. It's a great read that gives you a fresh look an under-appreciated state.

The Size of Connecticut
That’s very cool. Thanks!

Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 PM

636 posts, read 705,921 times
Do you miss massachusetts?

A very common response i have heard from ex Mass people who moved out of Mass, than came back to visit:
'They were missing Mass, some had not been back to Mass in decades, most could be called feeling homesick. But 3-4 hours after being back in Mass, Boston, they realized it was the same old same old, and looked forward to going back home, out of state.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:56 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
As said in another chat on this forum about MA:

A lot of good things said about Boston and MA. All deserved. That said, I left for two reason. Weather (winter/cold) and cost of living. Neither have changed and one cannot change.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:45 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You can miss somewhere without wanting to move back. I usually take not moving back as a sign you’re happier where you are now. If there’s nothing you miss, though, I take that as a sign you had a bad childhood.
Again, I had a great childhood. I might have had a great childhood if I had lived somewhere else at the time. My childhood was based on where my parents lived, I had no choice. I hate the cold and the ridiculous cost of living. There are more places to live in this country then just your hometown. I also got tired of the typical "clicky" high school people that stayed in my town and tried to make it like high school again. Grow up. That isn't to say I hate coming back, because I do a few times a year because I still have family in the area.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:29 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Nope.
Moved to Denver in 1980.
Plan to die here.
No bugs. No mildew. Mild winters. Low taxes. Clean, efficient government.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:56 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Again, I had a great childhood. I might have had a great childhood if I had lived somewhere else at the time. My childhood was based on where my parents lived, I had no choice. I hate the cold and the ridiculous cost of living. There are more places to live in this country then just your hometown. I also got tired of the typical "clicky" high school people that stayed in my town and tried to make it like high school again. Grow up. That isn't to say I hate coming back, because I do a few times a year because I still have family in the area.
I haven't been to my hometown in about 20 years. I'd never ever want to live there (for one it's just way too hot and humid, cold is so much easier to deal with). I like it here much better. There are still things I miss. That's all I was trying to say; even if you don't like somewhere there are going to be things you miss about it. I know a few people who miss absolutely nothing about where they grew up and with them it was because they had pretty bad childhoods.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Don't miss it. Spent 28 years in MA mostly in Metrowest burbs and last 12 in Los Angeles minus 1 year in DC. Weather is better here (even with the wildfire burning 3 miles from my home for a week), food is better, more "culture" and outdoors activities are better in my opinion since I like real mountains and the desert and of course don't have to deal with being eaten alive while enjoying the outdoors. Food and culture in MA is also pretty great compared to most places but there is much more of it in LA in my opinion. I had a decent childhood and experience growing up with lots of close friends so I have no negative memories about MA but there is nothing that would make me ever want to move back. I still have my connection to Boston sports but honestly it's a much healthier relationship since I left because it's not the all consuming fandom that it was when I lived there with sports radio and everyone talking about sports teams at work, school, in line at Dunk's etc.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:21 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Don't miss it. Spent 28 years in MA mostly in Metrowest burbs and last 12 in Los Angeles minus 1 year in DC. Weather is better here (even with the wildfire burning 3 miles from my home for a week), food is better, more "culture" and outdoors activities are better in my opinion since I like real mountains and the desert and of course don't have to deal with being eaten alive while enjoying the outdoors. Food and culture in MA is also pretty great compared to most places but there is much more of it in LA in my opinion. I had a decent childhood and experience growing up with lots of close friends so I have no negative memories about MA but there is nothing that would make me ever want to move back. I still have my connection to Boston sports but honestly it's a much healthier relationship since I left because it's not the all consuming fandom that it was when I lived there with sports radio and everyone talking about sports teams at work, school, in line at Dunk's etc.
Are you close to the Thomas fire? I hope they are able to get that under control soon.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:24 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Are you close to the Thomas fire? I hope they are able to get that under control soon.
That one is about 45 miles away but that is the big one and definitely effecting air quality even where I am. The Rye fire is the one I can see from my home and it's been burning for a week as well but it is at least 90% contained and "only" 6000 acres burned. Thomas has burned over 230k acres so far and only 15% contained. We've had constant drought here for years so everything is always dry and it is Santa Ana winds time of the year and constant strong winds makes it difficult to get under control. My family is in much better shape then many in Southern CA we just have had to stay in doors with doors and windows closed and air purifiers running 24 hrs/day for time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts