Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 9,006 times

Advertisements

I understand that it is considered an act of God and that nothing can be done about leaves that fall in your yard from the neighbor's trees. My problem is that they only clean them up once a week or sometimes not even that often. Most of the leaves in our yard is a result of them not cleaning them up and them blowing in our yard. Wouldn't that be neglect and that they should be responsible to clean them up since they aren't doing it on a regular basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 02:58 PM

419 posts, read 1,237,992 times
Coexist

LOL! JK

That bumper sticker is probably the most annoying bumper sticker of all time.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:37 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi Clem View Post
I understand that it is considered an act of God and that nothing can be done about leaves that fall in your yard from the neighbor's trees. My problem is that they only clean them up once a week or sometimes not even that often. Most of the leaves in our yard is a result of them not cleaning them up and them blowing in our yard. Wouldn't that be neglect and that they should be responsible to clean them up since they aren't doing it on a regular basis?
Your 1st sentence doesn't agree with your last one.

If they rake them up once a week they are conscientious.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:39 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,126 times
Is there a law that says you have to rake up leaves. I have much more important things to do on the weekends than pick up leaves.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:47 AM

248 posts, read 342,764 times
We don't rake, but then again, we have no neighbors nearby to complain. We have some Gator mulching blades on the mowing deck of the tractor...they turn the leaves to near dust, which then serves as grass food. If raking leaves is becoming too much of a chore, try mulching them and just leaving them. Much less work than raking. I believe you can get good mulching blades for many mowers, as long as the mower has closed deck sides to send the leaves back through the blades multiple times.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:22 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Is there a law that says you have to rake up leaves. I have much more important things to do on the weekends than pick up leaves.
Like surfing the web? Everyone has different priorities.

The "law" for raking leaves is based on local town ordinance. Some towns have an ordinance of some sort which states you must keep your lawn in "presentable condition." Once I got a $100 citation for letting my grass grow to my ankles. This was when I used to live in Atlanta.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:23 PM

204 posts, read 286,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Once I got a $100 citation for letting my grass grow to my ankles. This was when I used to live in Atlanta.
Yikes. This is why I never looked at any places with an HOA, I just pictured some nosy lady running around my yard measuring my grass with a ruler. I know it's healthier for my grass to cut no more than 1/3 the length at a time, so I do end up mowing fairly frequently, but cripes. I will get to it when I get to it. Get off my lawn! :shakes cane:

I think I've gotten the best of both worlds in my neighborhood - nobody gets up your schnozz about it, but everyone seems to keep their yards tidy and pretty of their own volition.

To Debi: I agree, once a week is plenty conscientious.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,126 times
If I rake my yard it is usually around thanksgiving. But I mostly just let them blow away. I purposely bought a house with no trees on the property and minimal landscape. Like I said I prefer family time and me time over yard work time.

And I'll be Damned if some yahoo from town hall thinks they can tell me what do with my property. I pay my taxes and will do as I see fit.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:07 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,616,978 times
We lived in a house where the neighbor's leaves blew in our yard. I didn't like it one bit. Then I began to find beautiful long branches from their curly willows that also broke off and blew in our yard. Some of those things went for quite a bit when it's a 2" branch, tall and curly that one puts in a container on the floor for decorative purposes. Other much thinner branches made wonderful wreathes tiny, or small, or medium as gifts or decorations. So I was excited to rake the leaves on my lawn and find the curly willow pieces.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:08 PM

7 posts, read 18,746 times
This is so interesting to read. A few years ago a neighbour across and down one told me she was very upset that they always have to rake our leaves. There is a decent size maple on the tree belt in front of our house. The leaves drop mostly in the street and yes, they blow away. We rake once or twice. Our city does a pick up, they want piles, un-bagged, in the street. I was so surprised she was angry with us! If you don't want to rake then don't. I guarantee you they will continue to blow on. The wind is almost always blowing. Raking once a week seems crazy to me. And blaming a neighbour for not "catching" the right moment, gathering the leaves after they fall and before the next gusty day, is just too much!

If they blew in, they can blow out! In Albuquerque I watched landscapers lift huge tumbleweeds, like a big dead bush, over the fence at a bank so they could just keep on going. Leaves are easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: