Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times

Advertisements

For the poster who suggested Roslindale, etc., that would X out any housing anywhere near the OP's budget. Maybe that poster didn't notice why OP was mentioning Pittsfield. There's nowhere in eastern Mass. where housing would be anything like Pittsfield. I imagine that's one reason she is focusing on Pittsfield- a decent-sized area with hospitals but a far cry from the medical mass of Boston and absolutely unaffordable houses. Since she posted some addresses that worked for her, I'd say Pittsfield is a good idea. (Anecdotally, a friend of mine who married into wealth moved to Pittsfield, the rich part wherever that is, and raised a family quite well and both she and husband started businesses there that have employed a lot of people, and they did not live that large despite their assets).
A lot of places love to hire new grad RNs because, well, they're *cheap* so even if there aren't a lot of jobs (which has been becoming the case) new grads have a headstart if not trying for one of the big-name hospitals in Boston. Best wishes to OP and her family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 06:14 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
So what does your fiancee do for work?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Why Mass., & why Pittsfield in particular?

And "finding a place for under 80k that is ideal", is that possible in MA? The COL is very expensive here.
Any place in Pittsfield in that price range will need major renovation work. I would second looking at moving back to Tennessee.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 AM

8 posts, read 18,921 times
For raising kids, I would first look into the school system. Topsfield is a great place. Small town, nice downtown area, close to all major malls, restaurants, etc. and the school system is on of the top in MA. Look up Masconomet regional high school.

Middleton is also nice, more affordable than Topsfield in certain areas. I would stay away from school systems in Peabody, Lynn, Saugus, Andover, Haverhill. You will notice it's cheaper to live in these towns/cities, but the schools are terrible. By the time you graduate from Peabody, Lynn and Saugus, students are at least a full year behind academically than, say, the Topsfield, Lynnfield, Lexington school systems. There is little to no academic/social support in these schools and often your child will slide through the cracks.

Andover, while a nice town, is full of residents who pay for private schooling, which means the public school tends to suffer because most overrides...used to improve a school....are not approved by the town.

So to recap: Topsfield, Hamilton, Wenham, Lynnfield, Lexington, Danvers, ipswich, Middleton, Boxford. These are excellent school systems, often allowing for affordable homes in certain areas of each town.

Oh, and I just remembered that the Triton school district is great as well, but I can't remember which towns are included. Just google triton schools.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM

10,019 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiferbelle05 View Post
For raising kids, I would first look into the school system. Topsfield is a great place. Small town, nice downtown area, close to all major malls, restaurants, etc. and the school system is on of the top in MA. Look up Masconomet regional high school.

Middleton is also nice, more affordable than Topsfield in certain areas. I would stay away from school systems in Peabody, Lynn, Saugus, Andover, Haverhill. You will notice it's cheaper to live in these towns/cities, but the schools are terrible. By the time you graduate from Peabody, Lynn and Saugus, students are at least a full year behind academically than, say, the Topsfield, Lynnfield, Lexington school systems. There is little to no academic/social support in these schools and often your child will slide through the cracks.

Andover, while a nice town, is full of residents who pay for private schooling, which means the public school tends to suffer because most overrides...used to improve a school....are not approved by the town.

So to recap: Topsfield, Hamilton, Wenham, Lynnfield, Lexington, Danvers, ipswich, Middleton, Boxford. These are excellent school systems, often allowing for affordable homes in certain areas of each town.

Oh, and I just remembered that the Triton school district is great as well, but I can't remember which towns are included. Just google triton schools.

The OP isn't looking into those areas as they are beyond her budget.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDreamer View Post
Yes...that's why I chose to look at Pittsfield.
You don't necessarily have to move out as far as Pittsfield. There are many hospitals all over the place, and outside route 128, and better yet, route 495, the prices do start to drop. I would also consider New Hampshire or Rhode Island.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 AM

613 posts, read 944,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDreamer View Post
Wow ...really friendly, aren't ya?? I found nothing helpful here in your comment. Not everyone is rich, or looking for a quarter million dollar mcmansion...I just want a nice, older house...nothing fancy. I like what I have seen in MA....thanks for recommending I move elsewhere.
And also get really annoyed when well-intentioned people try to point out the realities of buying a decent house in Mass. for $80K. (BTW, there are no "quarter million dollar mcmansions" here--in my town they go for $1.3 mil., & up).

I did a search--in the MLS right now there are 4 properties under $100K in Pittsfield, all either $90 or $95K. They all look pretty grim to me, but maybe you'd like them.

All I know is, I would so not be moving to Mass. with an 80K housing budget. I'd be outa here so fast your head would spin. There are people here (with a lot more to spend) tearing their hair out trying to find a nice place (not even near a mcmansion). Including me--hey, I've been recommending to myself to "move elsewhere", & get a way nicer house for less $$.

I mentioned NC b/c I like it, & it's way more affordable. I have family & friends in IN who seem to love it there (?), & $80K can go a fairly long way in some places. Just examples, but probably "offensive" again.....but hey, knock yourself out, it's your $80K.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-30-2013 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 08-30-2013, 01:35 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,261,432 times
I live in Western Mass. (Northampton) and go to Pittsfield once a week as part of my job. Pittsfield is working on gentrifying, but it is a city with strong blue-collar roots and still has lots of unemployment (not to mention some drugs and crime. Some areas aren't safe). On the plus side, there are some lovely neighborhoods, too. The Berkshires in general, for years, have been a summer area for New Yorkers, so (mostly south of Pittsfield, in Lenox, Stockbridge, etc.), you'll see many tourists. They come for the skiing in winter, too. It tends to be fairly cloudy there; I notice this every week as I drive from the sunny valley westward (not EVERY day, of course). It is routinely the coldest part of the state and does get some of the most snow, but there are lots of swimming areas in the summer. I imagine the schools are only just OK. The hospital is decent though quite small (I work in health care, too). What else do you need to know?

Old 08-30-2013, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 21,394 times
I'm finishing my RN this year! Good luck :-) I am from MA and live in MA. My family is from MA and many work in healthcare/are nurses etc. There are many homes you can find on the cheaper side, under 100k and western MA has a good deal of them. There are also many nursing jobs all over the state, and great hospitals, not just here in Boston, where I live and work. My husband and I are looking to move to central MA as our family is there and we rent in Boston and could never afford to buy here.Our budget is under $150k, my husband is in building and we are looking for a fixer upper and we are finding plenty of options.

I would think look at the various hospitals etc and when you land an interview come up, visit etc and get a feel for the town. There are many towns with nice people. I think generally, people are kindof quiet, keep to themselves, but are good hearted here.

GL!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
For the poster who suggested Roslindale, etc., that would X out any housing anywhere near the OP's budget. Maybe that poster didn't notice why OP was mentioning Pittsfield. There's nowhere in eastern Mass. where housing would be anything like Pittsfield. I imagine that's one reason she is focusing on Pittsfield- a decent-sized area with hospitals but a far cry from the medical mass of Boston and absolutely unaffordable houses. Since she posted some addresses that worked for her, I'd say Pittsfield is a good idea. (Anecdotally, a friend of mine who married into wealth moved to Pittsfield, the rich part wherever that is, and raised a family quite well and both she and husband started businesses there that have employed a lot of people, and they did not live that large despite their assets).
A lot of places love to hire new grad RNs because, well, they're *cheap* so even if there aren't a lot of jobs (which has been becoming the case) new grads have a headstart if not trying for one of the big-name hospitals in Boston. Best wishes to OP and her family.
Hi, I know that but for jobs if she gets one and to rent with her saving her 80000 it may work.
My thought was public transportation and lots of hospitals if she finds a job then she has more money
to save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts