Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:25 AM

39 posts, read 168,893 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if your aware of this but greenfield is not the only town in franklin county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:44 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelmannn View Post
Both hampshire and hampden counties have a higher percentage of people below the poverty line.
If true, isn't this statistic somewhat misleading? In Hampshire county at least this may be due at least in part to the large number of college students living there.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 17,855 times
Default Want To Get Out Of Nyc To Give My Kids & Family Better Life In Mass.

Hi, I'm looking for some real insightful opinions. I am a mother of two boys 9 and 5. My 9 year old was just diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and the NYC school system is not addressing his needs. My husband wants to relocate and is applying for jobs in MA because we were told the schools were great especially for children with special needs. I told him I'd live anywhere I didn't have to fly back or drive more than 4 hours to NYC to visit our families. He's applied in Northampton (Hampshire County) and was wondering what it was all about and if was what we are looking for #1 schools #2 down to earth progressive community (we don't have a lot of money and could only afford in the $200-300K range). Hoping to find a diamond in the rough so to speak. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by reneemac; 01-10-2008 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,598 times
Here's what Greenfield and it's schools are like -

David Lanoie, the Chair of the Greenfield School Committee (who choiced his own kids out to other towns) resigned.

The Mayor knew she couldn't get herself appointed Chair, so she abruptly canceled the scheduled school committee meeting to avoid the vote. The SC met anyway and elected a new Chair (not Mayor Forgey). There was talk of lawyers, etc. and the Mayor had to back down with egg on her face.

Today, the interim Superintendent resigned (after only 5 months on the job). Since there hasn't been any movement toward hiring a new Supt, they are looking for another "interim" Supt. Two years ago, Greenfield hired a principal who only stayed 2 months and went backto New York in a hurry.

Also, the Mass Dept of Education today announced that the Greenfield Schools are under-performing with very high dropout rates. been there, done that, already before.

Dysfunctional hillbillies don't do well with a concept like education. Greenfield's a great place for racism, anti-semitism, shooting guns, and driving jacked up pick-up trucks painted with grey primer.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 AM

739 posts, read 2,186,449 times
GoNOMAD, Franklin County Tech is even worse than Greenfield H.S.

I feel bad for your friend. I know from experience most teachers go into teaching with honorable intentions, certainly not for the low pay and low status.

The Greenfield School Committee just elected a new Chairman. He has no children and works in a local sign shop. Pretty minimal qualifications to be running a school system.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 AM

Franklin county tech is not the same school it was 20 years ago. While they do poorly on testing i would guess that would be because thay only get half the academic time that a regular high school gets so they can focus on their trade.
Greenfield high graduation rate - 68.4
Franklin county tech's graduation rate - 87.4
As compared to other tech schools in western ma. there ranked the same as Smith voc and higher than Putnum, Dean and Sci tech.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:21 PM

156 posts, read 562,625 times
Has anybody who is posting these messages been in Greenfield during all or most of the last 15 years? The reason I ask is that it was a great place to grow up and I still have fond memories. I haven't lived there in 15 years but have visited a few times. On the surface it doesn't seem to have changed that much, but according to these posts it's really gone downhill. Actually it's funny that someone mentioned how red-necked it is, since the businesses I've seen go up in my absence include a coffee shop, brew-pub and Thai restaurants, which don't generally strike me as redneck. Like I said, if anybody could offer insights as to the change in the last 15-20 years, it would be appreciated.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 AM

I think the biggest change is the high school. It has certainly gone down hill. As far as crime goes it's probably about the same as it was 15 years ago maybe just a tick more now. Crack wasn't around then but it is now so that's another change but drugs are everywhere and have been since I was a kid. The town still tries to keep big business out to protect their downtown shopping which i've never gotten why they do that, I don't think i've ever shopped downtown. As far as feeling safe I still feel safe their it's certainly not like Holyoke or Springfield.
They also have the best chinese restaraunt I have been to, I can't think of the name but it's right down the street from apple bees.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM

739 posts, read 2,186,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelmannn View Post
The town still tries to keep big business out to protect their downtown shopping which i've never gotten why they do that, I don't think i've ever shopped downtown. .
Totally wrong. Actually, it's just the opposite.

Greenfield is not trying to keep big business out. It's common knowledge in town that Mayor Forgery, Town Council President Maloney, former TC Pres. Farrell, and others, are trying very hard to get a Walmart, Target, or other big box store to come to Gfld, but can't get one.

The Mayor's Economic Development Director, Marlene Marrocco, is facing formal censure for lying to the Town Council about having a state wetlands act waiver for the vacant commercial property where they want to build a big box store.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 AM

Maybe they can't get a big box store because they have turned down wal marts proposals 5 times in the last 20 years. I haven't been up to date the last 2 years on the wal mart deal the last 2 years so you might be right on what there trying to do but the 18 years before that they wanted nothing to do with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts