Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:13 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Not Mexican, but Elizabeth's on Acushnet Ave. in New Bedford has excellent, authentic Guatemalan cuisine. The reason I bring it up is because they serve some of the best tacos I've had in the Northeast. They have options like tripe, lengua, carnitas, etc. on homemade corn tortillas. Its also dirt cheap ($4.50 for 3 tacos). It's the type of place that you might be skeptical of (rough looking neighborhood, minimal signage, etc.) but it's worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Taqueria El Amigo in Waltham.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Sit down: Angela's Cafe in East Boston (Angelas Cafe)

Taquería: Taqueria Jalisco in East Boston (Taqueria Jalisco - East Boston - Boston, MA)

Tortilleria: Tortilleria La Niña in Everett (New England Tortillas)

Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,034 times
Oh my god it took to PAGE TWO before Angela's in Eastie got mentioned?!

There's also this fancy place in the Seaport that I ate at once that was pretty good. Forget the name.

Also, you know what's a really great place? El Azteca in Attleboro. And I trust it because the Attleboro/Pawtucket/Central Falls area has a lot of people from Mexico (for New England at least). They have a good mole sauce in my opinion.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
The late Forest Cafe in Cambridge (the Budweiser bar on Mass. Ave with the giant stuffed iguana in the window two blocks north of the Common). Lots of great fish dishes.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Remarkably, we've gone from one chain to another, for our favorite: From On the Border in Woburn to Margarita's in Lexington/Bedford. Ixtapa in Woburn is also quite good. I think the problem with talking about "favorite Mexican restaurant" is that different people have different expectations for what Mexican cuisine is for, for them, and even the same person may view very different dining experiences as serving different "purposes" and therefore may have a favorite Mexican restaurant in one circumstance and a different favorite Mexican restaurant in another circumstance.
I pretty much dig all types whether they be Tex-Mex, Southwestern or the various authentic Mexican cuisines; but as long as they're done well (as opposed to the places where the chips and salsa are the best thing going).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor
SolAzteca near Boston University is another good one.
2nd that, in fact I had totally forgotten about the place. Glad to see they're still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irfox
Not Mexican, but Elizabeth's on Acushnet Ave. in New Bedford has excellent, authentic Guatemalan cuisine. The reason I bring it up is because they serve some of the best tacos I've had in the Northeast. They have options like tripe, lengua, carnitas, etc. on homemade corn tortillas. Its also dirt cheap ($4.50 for 3 tacos). It's the type of place that you might be skeptical of (rough looking neighborhood, minimal signage, etc.) but it's worth the effort.
There is a tiny hole in the wall Guatemalan place "Mi Pequeña" on Pine St. in Attleboro (not a great area) that have likewise had among the best tacos I've eaten. Real diamond in the rough, and a good bargain too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment
Also, you know what's a really great place? El Azteca in Attleboro. And I trust it because the Attleboro/Pawtucket/Central Falls area has a lot of people from Mexico (for New England at least). They have a good mole sauce in my opinion.
The best Mexican I've had in that area (certainly beats the one in Plainville). I've never tried the mole though, that's something the more "Tex-Mex" places never do right. Will have to give that a shot next time.

There was a wonderful place "Luana's" on Rte. 1 in S. Attleboro that unfortunately closed a while back. It was basically a one-woman operation (she would take your order, bring your margarita out, and go cook your food), and she did a fine job at all 3. My assumption is that she finally retired.

I haven't had the Acapulco's chain in years (remember being underwhelmed), but recently I've heard an unusual amount of people raving about it. Maybe I'll have to check it out again. Of course those could also be the same people who voted for Dunkin Donuts in the "favorite donuts" thread or for Dominos as the best pizza, so I'll have to see.

Last edited by massnative71; 09-04-2013 at 12:41 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I lived in Southern Mexico, so I am pretty picky. Places like On the Border, Iguana Cantina, Border Cafe, Margarita's, etc are NOT Mexican - they are Tex-Mex. Big difference.
I've never lived in Mexico, but I started to read this thread and had the exact same thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For sit-down restaurants: Tu y Yo in Somerville
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Adding:
Tu y Yo in Somerville
Tu y Yo is a fantastic restaurant. The first time I went there I had no idea what real Mexican food was but everything on the menu is delicious. They had a second location in Needham which just closed a few months ago. Personally, I think it closed for two reasons:

1. A seemingly cursed location where restaurant after restaurant has died
2. The few people who ventured in I have no doubt expected fajitas and burritos not authentic Mexican cuisine and when they saw what was on the menu just left

Old 09-04-2013, 05:12 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
El Sarape in Weymouth.

Only wish they served fresh and flipping off the boat in authentic Mayan fish dishes like La Tarraya an amazing restaurant in Playa del Carmen.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 PM

546 posts, read 1,376,278 times
Just ate at a place called "the Mexican Corner" in New Rochelle NY YUMMAY,
I know it is out of our area, but had to chime in after eating there. Real treat

Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 PM

701 posts, read 1,428,272 times
Back when I lived in Boston, Sol Azteca was heads and shoulders above any other Mexican sit-down place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts