Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 AM

289 posts, read 567,546 times

Advertisements

Well, first time in almost 40 years.

I'm thisclose to getting my house in West Roxbury on the market, and I don't want to *own* another thing. Don't want to be responsible for a blade of grass or a snowflake. I'd LIKE to stay in West Roxbury because of Millennium Park; I'm a photographer and dog-walker and Millennium is amazing for both, in addition to having a real people-community. I know there are parks in other towns, but none I've seen like Millennium.

My realtor, who really *gets* my house, doesn't get what I'm looking for in an apartment; I drove by a place he mentioned yesterday and while it <is> close to the Park, the street is seedy.

My question: Has anyone had a really good experience with an ethical rental agency between West Roxbury and Norwood? I'm looking for quiet, clean, friendly, small, un-seedy. So far everything I've seen on the net has only served to convince me I need an agent.

Never thought I'd be posting this sort of question, but here I go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 06:38 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
You need to find some apartments that look good on the outside on streets you like, find out the name of the complex and then do an internet search and see if a phone number comes up for a property management office. Then call the property management office and see if they have any rentals available.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
My realtor, who really *gets* my house, doesn't get what I'm looking for in an apartment; I drove by a place he mentioned yesterday and while it <is> close to the Park, the street is seedy.
Is it that your agent doesn't get what you're looking for or is it that they are just showing you what's available and most like what you've described?

I find with some customers I have to show them something even if I know they won't like it just because if I don't show them something they'll start thinking that I am ignoring them or doing a bad job. It's a double edged sword though. If you show someone like that too many properties that they don't like eventually they'll start to think you're not listening to them or you don't "get" what they're looking for. In the end though, it's a really a matter of what's available to see.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
@bostonbarney, you could pick out 2 or 3 complexes that appear to be your ideal and ask your agent if there are any openings there. It would at least give your agent something to work off of when similar properties become available. You must know West Roxbury inside out from living there a long time. You probably know it so well you could be very specific about I don't want to live between xx road and xy road, but want to live on xz road.

I quite frankly think your list of towns may be too narrow.

JP seems to have many more apartments and from what I have seen does not cost much more to live in than West Roxbury. Would you consider adding it to your list?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Best places (and deals) are usually in two-three family with one owner. I would go directly to the owners/look at CL under "by owners only"). Also see if any agent in the area is "rentals only" agent. They usually have steady customers and great deal of knowledge about where to look.
I did not get an impression that you are looking into big (and boring) rental complexes.
If you are member of anything; spread the word you are looking for a place; you might be pleasantly surprised.
Good luck!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 PM

392 posts, read 919,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Best places (and deals) are usually in two-three family with one owner. I would go directly to the owners/look at CL under "by owners only"). Also see if any agent in the area is "rentals only" agent. They usually have steady customers and great deal of knowledge about where to look.
I did not get an impression that you are looking into big (and boring) rental complexes.
If you are member of anything; spread the word you are looking for a place; you might be pleasantly surprised.
Good luck!
I agree. This is not to say that your current agent is not doing his job, it's just when someone works as mostly rental agent s/he would also know local landlords, who may have something available soon, but not advertised yet, etc. But maybe your agent knows more than you think. Talk to your agent openly, discuss once again what are the main features in an apartment you are looking for. Also ask him if he is really keen on looking for a rental for you, maybe he prefers to assist people who are buying and selling, not renting.

Also, drive around the area, you may see "for rent" signs, call their number (these landlords often only put a sign in the front yard, and don't use an agent, don't put it on craigslist either) Check out craigslist as well.

Best of luck!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:19 PM

392 posts, read 919,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
JP seems to have many more apartments and from what I have seen does not cost much more to live in than West Roxbury. Would you consider adding it to your list?
I second JP. Maybe there are at least parts of JP that you would consider?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 AM

289 posts, read 567,546 times
Thanks everybody. I've looked at a couple of complexes and didn't get good vibes...online reviews backed up my newly found psychic ability; I think I'm meant to be in a house setting. My selection of area is narrow, yes, but based on two things: A very close, large group of siblings, not wanting to move further from them in a different direction, and Millennium Park. I know JP would be worth checking out, but doesn't meet those two non-negotiable requirements.

I will follow all your suggestions...don't want to do too much looking myself, which is why I was wondering about a good rental realtor. I want to really simplify my life (which is pretty simple already); I want small, there's a dog/cat complication and being as I am an elder though not elderly with every major joint but one made of titanium (someday I just HAVE to go to the airport and see how loud the alarms are), a third floor walk-up wouldn't be desirable.

I hesitated posting this, because I know folks are bombarded with this sort of post...and I thank you for your considered replies. Now I am going to paint one last radiator and I will be just about done.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Chestnut Hill Realty seems to have units in large complexes in West Roxbury/Brookline/Chestnut Hill.

Would it be worth contacting them for any smaller units they may come across? Perhaps they sometimes get a West Roxbury listing?

Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 AM

20 posts, read 32,059 times
From looking in the past I don't believe most of the Chestnut Hill Realty properties allow pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: