Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong. Walking with headphones and head down in Allston late at night is a bad idea. But top 5 bad neighborhoods in the State? No way. (I actually thinking including Brighton is far odder than Allston).

But your points are taken. Perhaps I took the question to literally. It was bad areas to avoid. Not places to not live in, or not live in when you had children. Or places that were bad and are now great.

The children thing is especially pertinent as there are lots of good towns to live in that have subpar schools. That is quite common. So really that is a different question entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 10:24 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLincoln86 View Post
massnative71: Boston is a big place, so it has good and bad neighborhoods.

Timberline: Clearly jewban has a Boston centric view. (someone who doesn't have a car?) Including Allston on the list is just odd. I tend to think small bad cities are way, way worse then bad areas of Boston. (In Boston you always have a smattering of students and young professionals who are there for cheap rents and short commutes...
Boston has 48 sq. miles.

Brockton is 21.5 sq. miles.

Worcester is 37.6 sq. miles.

Lowell has 14.56 sq. miles.

All have plenty of good and bad, there is no reason why the rest of Boston should get a free pass while the other ENTIRE cities get painted the same. I believe that even going whole cities, Boston has the highest crime rate of them all.

Cheap rents, where? In Allston???

Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Allston has plenty of cheap rents, sure. It's all relative though, and when you're just starting out you'll have several roommates.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:22 PM

127 posts, read 147,018 times
Don't understand, this thread asks people what areas they avoid, I answer, and then get attacked and told I don't get out, don't know the area, don't have an automobile, etc. Unreal.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 PM

513 posts, read 695,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewban View Post
Don't understand, this thread asks people what areas they avoid, I answer, and then get attacked and told I don't get out, don't know the area, don't have an automobile, etc. Unreal.
Well you listed Marlborough as #5 area to avoid. I think that shows you don't get out much, or at the very least have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,459 times
Fitchburg/Leominster are not that bad. I've lived there forever and there is nowhere that is "dangerous

Old 10-22-2013, 01:24 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
Roxbury
Mattapan
Dorchester
Lawrence
Brockton

Additionally, I would avoid the following areas:

Springfield
Holyoke
Marlborough
Fitchberg
Fall River
New Bedford
Everett
and most of Lowell

Not sure how Billerica makes the list. It's a little rough around the edges in some spots but overall a safe place to live.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:24 PM

513 posts, read 695,610 times
Again with Marlborough? Marlborough is perfectly safe, everyone here must be from Southboro or something. I have honestly never in my life heard anyone say to avoid Marlborough before visiting this site. A couple spots look a little rundown, but even those areas are fine. To think it ranks anywhere near top 5 areas to avoid is absurd and completely void of any sound reasoning.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Again with Marlborough? Marlborough is perfectly safe, everyone here must be from Southboro or something. I have honestly never in my life heard anyone say to avoid Marlborough before visiting this site. A couple spots look a little rundown, but even those areas are fine. To think it ranks anywhere near top 5 areas to avoid is absurd and completely void of any sound reasoning.
It just wouldn't be one of my choices if I am looking for a place to raise a family given the better alternatives out there. It's nothing against the families or residents who live there now.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 AM

15 posts, read 39,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Boston has 48 sq. miles.

Brockton is 21.5 sq. miles.

Worcester is 37.6 sq. miles.

Lowell has 14.56 sq. miles.

All have plenty of good and bad, there is no reason why the rest of Boston should get a free pass while the other ENTIRE cities get painted the same. I believe that even going whole cities, Boston has the highest crime rate of them all.

Cheap rents, where? In Allston???
You bring up a great point. Springfield has actually had a 50% drop off in crime in 10 years, and I believe other cities in MA have had similar success, but they can't shake the stigma and perception of high crime, while Boston seems to get a free pass even though it's the murder capital of the state and nationally isn't even a low crime large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts