Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 24,809 times

Advertisements

Hey.

I am a healthy man in his mid 20s, currently paying for Cobra.

I don't really want to.

It's damn expensive, ($570) per month, and I never even goto the doctor.

So... What happens if I cancel it? (I'm not even sure HOW to cancel it. Would just stop paying the payments be an unwise thing to do?)

Would I be eligible for mass health or commonwealth care if I cancel?

It seems like I need a lawyer to get anything done, because I can't get a straight answer from anyone without reading 99 pages of documents. (That are so damn confusing it's like... Man screw health insurance all together).

Anyone offer any advice?

My situation: I'm an unemployed grad student with 0 income.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 04:37 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,610,000 times
I hear your pain. I went through this not too long ago.

You should have received an application with your unemployment package for cobra subsidy. It is a separate program from MassHealth. If you apply to MassHealth, they will ask on the application if you were offered cobra. You have to use up the cobra before you can qualify for MassHealth. With Commonwealth Care, I believe you have to prove that you could not afford the healthcare offered through Cobra before being able to purchase individual insurance. If you purchase insurance outside Commonwealth Care, you can only buy it or change plans in August. If you qualify for one of these programs, there may be a wait processing paperwork.

The new Federal healthcare laws will likely change some of these rules.

Other considerations are the fines you will get both on state and now federal level for being uninsured.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 PM

10 posts, read 24,809 times
That sucks.

So basically I'm forced to pay $570 per month for a service I don't want.

And if I stop paying I'm breaking the law?

America. Home of the free.

PS: Thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: