Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 PM

11 posts, read 27,647 times

Advertisements

How about Wellesley? Someone suggested it, wanted a second opinion.
How is the school system? GreatSchools.Org seems to think it is good, and I heard that commute to boxborough would be in the opposite direction as the majoirty. I also saw on another thread that Wellesley should be avoided. Is that correct? Any particular reason?

And how is Hopkinton commute wise? Schools seem to be good.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:21 AM

Also, I am very much interested in Acton and Concord. Can't seem to find places to rent at Sudbury and Stow, even though the schools look great.

Anything I need to know about Acton and/or Concord?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwatch View Post
Also, I am very much interested in Acton and Concord. Can't seem to find places to rent at Sudbury and Stow, even though the schools look great.

It's hard to find rentals in the suburbs of Boston. Most rental homes are not kept up that we'll either and because of the low inventory of units rents are high. In some areas of the country rentals are common and therefore cheaper than buying. Around here it seems you get better value when you buy.

Quote:
How is the school system? GreatSchools.Org seems to think it is good, and I heard that commute to boxborough would be in the opposite direction as the majoirty. I also saw on another thread that Wellesley should be avoided. Is that correct? Any particular reason?

Wellesley is a really lovely town with a great school system and a wonderful town center plus easy access to Boston and major routes. The big downside is that like most burbs with good schools inside of rt 128 the home's are quite expensive. Lexington is a similar town but a little less expensive and a much easier commute to Boxborough but not a wonderful commute to Boston.

On here you'll see a lot of threads saying Wellesley is snobby and has a "keeping up with the Joneses" or nouveau riche atmosphere. Likely the only reason you would find anything negative said about the town. It's a stereotype though and likely if you moved there you would be able to find people to be friends with.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:

Hopkinton would be a decent commute for both of you.

Wellesley will be stretching it for the Boxborough commuter. I once commuted from Natick to Boxborough and it was about an hour door to door, and that was when there were fewer people living out here.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Acton has many townhomes, luxury as well as mid range, so that will be an easier town to find a rental in. Acton has great schools that cater to the individuality of the student.

Concord is an upscale town, also with high achievers and competitive schools.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
It's hard to find rentals in the suburbs of Boston. Most rental homes are not kept up that we'll either and because of the low inventory of units rents are high. In some areas of the country rentals are common and therefore cheaper than buying. Around here it seems you get better value when you buy.
Completely agree with this statement. If you have the down-payment, financial qualifications and have decided on an area, it is much more economical to buy than to rent. I am on the way to selling my place and am having absolute sticker shock on how much more it is going to cost me to rent a place like the one I will be selling.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
redwatch: did you mention a price range? some of these towns you're asking about later in the thread (i.e. Wellesley, Concord) have housing prices of around $1 million for a typical 4 bed 2.5 bath colonial and don't have many rentals. Cheaper towns with good schools such as Acton and Natick may have more rentals due to their larger stock of townhomes and apartments.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:03 AM

We can't afford to buy immediately, may be later. We were planning to rent for now, and were looking at around $2000 per month for a 2 bedroom/1+ bath. I have been looking around on rent.com etc to find places, and turns out that Acton and Natick have a few apartments, though can't say how good from the photos. My husband will be there shortly to check out the places. We are giving Acton higher preference for now. Might change once we see the places

Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 AM

We have narrowed it down to Acton and Natick, slightly higher preference to Acton. How would you compare Acton and Natick?
And the school system - I believe both are good. Is that right?

Thanks for all the help. I found this forum really helpful.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
We have narrowed it down to Acton and Natick, slightly higher preference to Acton. How would you compare Acton and Natick?
And the school system - I believe both are good. Is that right?

Thanks for all the help. I found this forum really helpful.

Both school systems are rated well. Natick's is rated very good. Acton's is consistently rated one of the top in the state.

Natick is closer to mall shopping. Acton has more green space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts