Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,314 times

Advertisements

Phew, oil for heat and hot water. Say hello to a second mortgage. I had that in my condo for two years, one of the best days of my life was when they converted it to natural gas. I relied on electric heaters, lots of blankets, and I wouldn't turn the heat on unless it was like 30 degrees out or less. Having drafty doors or windows can be a big problem, so I'd make sure that they are insulated properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:44 PM

164 posts, read 188,497 times
Is your heat distributed via hot air or radiators or baseboard? One of our houses had radiators and another baseboard and both had to be bled every year or more to get the air out of the lines otherwise the heat does not circulate. One of our apartments had the cast iron radiators and they were always cold despite cranking up the heat. I had no idea that the radiators had to be bled and spent the coldest winter of my life there.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 PM

719 posts, read 987,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Buy a wood stove
This. No, really. Wood stoves can be extremely efficient, especially if combined with fans to circulate the heat. My parents in Maine have oil, but they use their wood stove almost exclusively to heat a 2,000+ square foot house. A couple of cords will get them through an entire winter. My guess is the stove would pay for itself in a couple of years.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:23 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCarnegie View Post
Is your heat distributed via hot air or radiators or baseboard? One of our houses had radiators and another baseboard and both had to be bled every year or more to get the air out of the lines otherwise the heat does not circulate. One of our apartments had the cast iron radiators and they were always cold despite cranking up the heat. I had no idea that the radiators had to be bled and spent the coldest winter of my life there.
Interesting. I've never heard of that before for hot water baseboards. I recently saw a house where all the water in the radiator system had been replaced with anti-freeze. It causes less corrosion in the metal components of the system and should your heat fail it will freeze at a much lower temperature so less likely to cause a burst pipe.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:06 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
If your furnace/boiler/burner is over 20 years old, you might look into replacing it for a more efficient system. By all means have it cleaned and checked once a year. Try to get used to setting your thermostat at 68 as you will burn less fuel and be healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts