Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:36 AM

27 posts, read 18,526 times

Advertisements

This past summer the legislature passed into law a linking of the gas tax to the Consumer Price Index! That means as inflation rises so does the Massachusetts gas tax. It is the gas tax to infinity and beyond.

Taxachusetts has enough taxes we don't need this one!

Tank the Automatic Gas Tax IncreasesTank the Gas Tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Thank you for that commercial advertisement.

I see nothing wrong with the annual gasoline tax increase pegged to COL. It actually makes perfect sense. If prices go up, then things cost more, so revenues need to go up to pay for those things. Pegging tax rates to COL is rational. If you want to take a crack at achieving the objectives of government with lower cost approaches, that's a different matter. I'd rather see those efficiencies result in reductions in the income tax, rather than the gasoline tax anyway.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 AM

27 posts, read 18,526 times
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with the annual gasoline tax increase pegged to COL. It actually makes perfect sense. If prices go up, then things cost more, so revenues need to go up to pay for those things. Pegging tax rates to COL is rational. If you want to take a crack at achieving the objectives of government with lower cost approaches, that's a different matter. I'd rather see those efficiencies result in reductions in the income tax, rather than the gasoline tax anyway.
Really...As though higher gas prices won't adversely affect the poor that you so pretend to be concerned about.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:29 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Really...As though higher income taxes won't adversely affect the poor that you apparently don't care about (calling them "parasites" and otherwise disparaging such people in your posted comments). Your feigned-concern for those less fortunate is ludicrous in the context of your prior comments.

Putting aside your inanely partisan and vacuous nonsense, pegging the gasoline tax to COL is a reasonable compromise between the two sides, since it respects the conservative concern about increasing deficits, while at the same time both disincentivizing non-essential fossil fuel consumption and incentivizing investment in cleaner energy sources. You obviously forgot that liberals care about the state of the planet we leave to our grandchildren, even if right-wingers couldn't care less about how their actions today adversely impact the lives of their grandchildren.

Furthermore, liberals understand that it is more important to foster living wage jobs where people live rather than wasting political capital fostering people commuting long distances to such jobs.

This disconnect between the reality of the left-leaning perspective and your understanding of it is very telling. I understand, and continue to work to understand, what motivates right-leaning people, but apparently part of right-wing perspective is that foundational refusal to acknowledge that reasonable people could hold to opposing perspectives, and hence the failure to understand what it is that liberals actually support and why.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 AM

15 posts, read 39,254 times
No.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM

7 posts, read 23,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Really...As though higher income taxes won't adversely affect the poor that you apparently don't care about (calling them "parasites" and otherwise disparaging such people in your posted comments). Your feigned-concern for those less fortunate is ludicrous in the context of your prior comments.

Putting aside your inanely partisan and vacuous nonsense, pegging the gasoline tax to COL is a reasonable compromise between the two sides, since it respects the conservative concern about increasing deficits, while at the same time both disincentivizing non-essential fossil fuel consumption and incentivizing investment in cleaner energy sources. You obviously forgot that liberals care about the state of the planet we leave to our grandchildren, even if right-wingers couldn't care less about how their actions today adversely impact the lives of their grandchildren.

Furthermore, liberals understand that it is more important to foster living wage jobs where people live rather than wasting political capital fostering people commuting long distances to such jobs.

This disconnect between the reality of the left-leaning perspective and your understanding of it is very telling. I understand, and continue to work to understand, what motivates right-leaning people, but apparently part of right-wing perspective is that foundational refusal to acknowledge that reasonable people could hold to opposing perspectives, and hence the failure to understand what it is that liberals actually support and why.

BUU YOU'RE MY HERO OF THE DAY <3<3

Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Given that it is Massachusetts and given that taxes will always go up, I would much rather have the gas tax increase, or sales tax. Both of which can be creatively avoided, opposed to an income tax increase which there is no way out of.

It is like the prop 2.5 that failed in my town over pretty much a minuscule increase in the property tax bill. Well since they override passed in the other districts, the town was forced to pay up and couldn't raise property taxes. Now, I have restrictions on my trash pickup for the next forever.

So no, I would not want the gas tax repealed so the governor can go after my income. No thanks, I can buy gas in NH.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
I support raising the gas tax as well. Sorry phantom - I think you're in the minority.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Given that it is Massachusetts and given that taxes will always go up, I would much rather have the gas tax increase, or sales tax. Both of which can be creatively avoided, opposed to an income tax increase which there is no way out of.

It is like the prop 2.5 that failed in my town over pretty much a minuscule increase in the property tax bill. Well since they override passed in the other districts, the town was forced to pay up and couldn't raise property taxes. Now, I have restrictions on my trash pickup for the next forever.

So no, I would not want the gas tax repealed so the governor can go after my income. No thanks, I can buy gas in NH.
While I am generally against tax increases in an already overtaxed state, I actually agree with this (now as long as the revenue is used solidly for its intended purpose).

Old 10-19-2013, 06:28 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
In all fairness, the T fares should be increased automatically every year also. And the higher the gas tax, the more the areas outside of Boston get hurt in terms of real estate values. Massachusetts should not be so Boston-centric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts