Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:44 PM

74 posts, read 131,512 times

Advertisements

Ok- I've read through all the Cambrige commute related posts- so I think I'm ready to check my understanding of where we should look. We are a family of 4 and we basically want what everyone wants: good schools, easy commute (1 hr or less by public transportation), 3+ bedrooms 1800+sqft (we'd want a basement if the house didn't have a 4th bedroom...have to stick the inlaws somewhere when they visit!). I lean towards the small town vibe over the urban vibe- but I want to be within 10-15 minutes of shopping. Our lot doesn't have to be huge- .2 or bigger would be nice, but small lot isn't a deal breaker-especially if there is a park within walking distance. I would be willing to consider a house that needs cosmetic work- but it must be livable until we get around to it (e.g., I will replace linoleum, paint, etc; I don't want to completely gut a house) And max of $650K. We are going to come up in a couple of weeks and drive around to get a feel for different areas. Below are areas that we're going to look at- Let me know if there's any that you'd add to the list, any that you'd strike off the list (and why), or any on that list that we should definitely go to (for example, based on what I've read in other forums-I'm already excited to see West Concord). The list is organized by commuter lines. Oh and if I didn't see any houses listed for less than 650K, I didn't even put them on the list (i.e.,Weston!)

Fitchburg Line: Arlington, West Concord, Acton
Worcester Line: Framingham, Natick (S), Newton
Needham Heights Line: Needham, Dover
Forge Park Line: Walpole Franklin
Wickford Junction: Sharon
Greenbush Line: Hingham
Middleborough Line: Braintree, Milton

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,928 times
The Fitchburg line goes through Waltham. That has some great areas and may fit the bill. I think that it is about a 30 minute ride to Boston once aboard the train. Hope this helps

Old 10-14-2013, 04:21 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
What about places like Wakefield, Reading? Many of the towns you listed have trains that do not go into North station.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/

Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkane View Post

Of the towns on your list, the ones with small town feel are West Concord, Franklin, Natick and Walpole. Acton and Arlington have some small town feel. Arlington, then West Concord and Acton would be the better Cambridge commutes. I live in Acton and the closest big malls are in Nashua (20 min ride). Franklin, Natick and Walpole have all the big box shopping along with the small indie stores, longer commute though. I go with Casey's recommendation you check out Reading and some of the North Shore towns.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:30 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
You definitely will want to access North Station for easy access to Cambridge (North Station is just across the river from Cambridge). Here is a map to show the access points:

Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
You definitely will want to access North Station for easy access to Cambridge (North Station is just across the river from Cambridge). Here is a map to show the access points:
I agree with this. You can access any part of Cambridge from North Station.

East Cambridge or North part of Kendall from that one stop to Lechmere.

Other areas of Cambridge, fast walk from North Station to Red Line MGH.

If you pick a town North of Boston, you could also take the Orange line to North Station.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM

387 posts, read 916,204 times
I disagree that North Station is so much better for a Cambridge commute. That will put you two stops from Lechmere, but the commuter rails to Porter and South Station are only three and four stops, respectively, from Kendall/MIT. The red line also gives easy access to other Cambridge jobs in Alewife, Harvard Square, etc., not to mention South Station. The green line just isn't as popular for tech jobs.

The main benefit of the North Station towns is they are MUCH less expensive for a close-in town. Melrose, Wakefield, Stoneham, and Reading offer nice, middle-class towns within the 128 belt, plus with good transit and highway access and decent schools. If you look at the same type of town west or northwest of the city (e.g., Acton, Natick), it's literally twice the distance.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Less than 650K, under 1 hr commute to Cambridge- where should we look?

**Sorry if you're seeing question this twice- I accidentally posted it to the general Massachusetts forum instead of this one**
Ok- I've read through all the Cambrige commute related posts- so I think I'm ready to check my understanding of where we should look. We are a family of 4 and we basically want what everyone wants: good schools, easy commute (1 hr or less by public transportation), 3+ bedrooms 1800+sqft (we'd want a basement if the house didn't have a 4th bedroom...have to stick the inlaws somewhere when they visit!). I lean towards the small town vibe over the urban vibe- but I want to be within 10-15 minutes of shopping. Our lot doesn't have to be huge- .2 or bigger would be nice, but small lot isn't a deal breaker-especially if there is a park within walking distance. I would be willing to consider a house that needs cosmetic work- but it must be livable until we get around to it (e.g., I will replace linoleum, paint, etc; I don't want to completely gut a house) And max of $650K. We are going to come up in a couple of weeks and drive around to get a feel for different areas. Below are areas that we're going to explore- Let me know if there's any that you'd add to the list, any that you'd strike off the list (and why), or any on that list that we should definitely not miss (for example, based on what I've read in other forums-I'm already excited to see West Concord). The list is organized by commuter lines that he can switch to the red line from- His office is near Kendall Square. (So I generally ruled out towns on commuter lines that didn't feed into a red line station-let me know if that's a mistake!) Oh and if I didn't see any houses listed for less than 650K, I didn't even put them on the list (i.e.,Weston!)

Here's the list:

Thanks!!

Old 10-14-2013, 05:56 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
It's in the right forum. You don't want to live in the city, but the suburbs.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:08 PM

Oops- ok. I just see alot of Cambridge related posts in the Boston forum-sorry for the confusion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts