Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 AM

40 posts, read 75,897 times

Advertisements

Thank you Princess, Beachcomber and capenewfs and anyone else that added to this post. I appreciate your candid replies. I've lived in NYC for the last 10 years and my wife grew up there so in a way we have a sense of what is "sketchy" or in other words "shady". I've started researching farms and markets and have contacted a few people such as Coonamessett and Tom Friary's Organic Farm. I have to say I'm excited and just wanted more info from residents of the cape. Everyone has their own experiences and it's all valid and important to listen to them. I hear of many young people leaving the cape so that always makes me slightly anxious but I'm hoping I can come and create some opportunities. I've also reached out to cape cod young professionals as well. There seems to be a small community supporting local agriculture and industries. All which are in fairly short driving distance from each other. I'm familiar with Wareham and it's degraded situation yet the only thing I know about is Cranberry Highway and asking a resident about the area. He replied he wanted out and its a lot of poverty and welfare and no opportunities. I hope to get to know people and see what the community is needing or wanting as I think everyone that lives there wants it to thrive. Best regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
Good luck with the move. Sounds like you are being proactive in establishing connections. I think in any situation whether it is a community purported to be perfect or one that has publicized rough spots, going in with your eyes open will lead to a better experience. IMHO, those communities that share what is happening are much more desirable than those that work to maintain a facade. Identifying a problem is the first step to making things better. I love the Cape and think Cape people are for the most part honest and earnest about wanting to live life in a simpler way.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,589 times
Default Good Ole Cape Cod.

Umm wow if You think East Falmouth is bad, you must live next door to Andy Griffith! Lol but really?? Wow we have had mabey 3 or 4 big stories since 1971! Born and raised here 4th generation and couldn't possibly be more proud!
I have tried Florida for 1 year and everyone told me I would be back. OMG they couldn't have been more right!! My Family is from Oyster Pond RD and owned one of the best boat yards, in East Fal! Never met better honest hard working family ppl! If you judge our town because of mabey 3 murders since I was born here in 1971 and yes we actually have some ppl who are on dare I say "drugs"! Then I humbly apologize for living in an all American town. But all I can say is I'm from a long line of natives and just " had " to spread my wings and boy did I learn how awful it is out there off our island. I'm the wimpiest of wimps and I only feel safe raising my sweet beautiful girl right here and only here.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,589 times
Default oh and!

Oh and I must say I am a pretty blond green eyed woman and since I was able to ride a bike I have been peddling ( my bike! Not drugs) I have never been attacked or harassed or offered drugs by anyone in East Falmouth ever! As a matter of fact almost everyone you pass bye will offer you a friendly smile and a comment about what a beautiful day it is! Love them and unfortunately I have ran out of gas and broken down a few times and I neverwent more than 1 min without a bunch of helpful caring ppl offering to help and almost never willing to accept a few dollars for there help or time I am more than thankful I was raised here and can call this town my home .

Old 08-22-2014, 07:02 AM

Glad you love where you live and feel safe. That's important. Everyone should have the right to that. Sounds like your family is very successful. That's great too. There are some great people in East Falmouth. Unfortunately, there are some pretty awful people too. Sometimes when you are in it, you don't see it because you are associating only with people who share your values. There is a familiarity that breeds a sense of safety. Moving to a new area with children especially, it is important to know the whole story.

I don't consider what has been happening in East Falmouth "normal" for a small town in a premiere vacation destination. I think we just have a different definition of normal. That's okay. I didn't have time to cut and paste all the individual stories in recent weeks. [domain blocked due to spam] has taken the headlines from quite a few since early July. No need to hop into the way back machine for more. Anyone who wants that info can google.

Good, hardworking people should not have to tolerate this. And people like you, who grew up in town knows that history. It was/is an affordable area in CC, it's too bad that a bad element has capitalized on that.

This story in WHDH was particularly disturbing.

4 arrested after drug bust in East Falmouth - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

.com/city/east-falmouth-ma]East Falmouth News - [domain blocked due to spam]

Last edited by Beachcomber4; 08-22-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
The Cape in general has had an upswing in heroin and Oxytocin use in the last few years, not any towns in general. And remember, just because the papers might say you died in a certain town, doesn't mean you lived there.

Trouble In Paradise: Opiate Use Spikes On Martha's Vineyard : NPR

6 deaths on MV in 8 months and many more overdoses. This is nothing that would stop me from moving there, if i was the OP, my point is that it is not really concentrated in any one area.

Last edited by Utopian Slums; 08-26-2014 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
The Cape in general has had an upswing in heroin and Oxytocin use in the last few years, not any towns in general. And remember, just because the papers might say you died in a certain town, doesn't mean you lived there.

Trouble In Paradise: Opiate Use Spikes On Martha's Vineyard : NPR

6 deaths on MV in 8 months and many more overdoses. This is nothing that would stop me from moving there, if i was the OP, my point is that it is not really concentrated in any one area.
Use is not the issue. You are correct, it is rampant.

Heroin deaths shock, mobilize Scituate families - Metro - The Boston Globe

My fear is the crime that accompanies it- especially in "affordable" communities where those who are often most desperate have to live and where those with the most money flock to buy their drugs and then head back to their comfortable community.

Here is a story of a problem that spilled over into a densely travelled tourist area and retail store:

Falmouth man arrested after a night of violence | CapeCodToday.Com

This story is disturbing.

It's sad.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Yikes to the Falmouth case! An arrow and everything!!? I doubt this guy was on heroin or other opiates unless it was in combo w crack, cocaine or another stimulant.

The Situate case is tragic yet common and i don't see it going away anytime soon. I just read a hospital pamphlet about Narcan being available as a prescription to the "vulnerable population." But since it is not something you can really OD on, i almost feel like it should be in EVERY house "just in case." Like a fire extinguisher.

I keep charcoal around i bought on Amazon just in case of any accidental ODs of myself, neighbors, pets etc. I'm not a drug user but i'm not a "fire-starter" either and accidents do happen.

My grandfather found my uncle dead on the bathroom floor 2 years ago from sniffing heroin. The bag right next to him. He didnt know he relapsed. If Narcan was in the medicine cabinet, he *might* have been saved.

I don't worry about the crime w opiate abuse in affluent neighborhoods (except the actual drug use and risk to selves) because what i've seen, its mostly "friendly fraud" there like the kid in situate stealing from his fam.

But you're right, in the poorer neighborhoods, they have no one to steal from but each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts