Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:17 PM

9 posts, read 18,371 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been posting here quite a bit lately because I am looking to move closer to my work in Hopkinton. It started from "whether should I commute from Revere to Hopkinton or not" to "where to live if work is in Hopkinton". Since, I did not want to mix this with those threads, I decided to start a new thread here.

I got some very useful feedback and I decided to ditch Revere and move to Framingham which is much closer to work and also within reasonable commute distance to Boston.

Now, the next big question is - Should I rent or buy a condo in Framingham? This is probably the biggest decision of my life and I really need your help.

I am 26 and this will be the first time I have thought of becoming a homeowner so I have 0 experience with real estate. So, please consider that when giving suggestions. What I am essentially looking for is a 2b/2b condo where I can live as well as rent the other room out. How and where should I start my search? Any links/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is buying a condo in Framingham practical in my situation?

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:46 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I don't think it's ever practical to buy before becoming familiar with an area. Framingham has a large number of condos that were tossed up and aren't very valuable,and you don't know your neighborhoods. It seems much wiser (although some trouble) to rent somewhere, work, get to know that area and town and then decide. In fact, if you're willing to live with someone or have to for finances, do so in a rental and then take your time learning about buying and about the town.Best wishes.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:27 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Chapel Hill and the complexes along Route 9 have held their value well.

There is a nice townhome at Apple D'Or on MLS right now that looks priced right. However, you will likely be in a residential neighborhood with mostly families in North Framingham.

Not in Framingham but close are the group of complexes across from the West Natick commuter rail. Names of associations are Natick Green, Village Green, etc. These are always popular with young professionals commuting into Boston. You could take 135 all the way down into Hopkinton from there.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
One big question for the OP is . . . how long do you see yourself living in this place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Not in Framingham but close are the group of complexes across from the West Natick commuter rail. Names of associations are Natick Green, Village Green, etc. These are always popular with young professionals commuting into Boston. You could take 135 all the way down into Hopkinton from there.
The three complexes are Natick Village, Natick Green, and Deerfield Forest. Personally, I would feel better about buying there than almost anywhere in Framingham from a perspective of "am I going to get my money back when I go to sell?" The town of Natick on the whole held value better than Framingham during the recent real estate down turn.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 AM

Hi MikePRU, I am not really sure about that. I have been moving a lot and want to settle down eventually.

Having said that, my ultimate destination is California maybe sometime in the future. But, even if I buy a condo here and leave Mass, I can still rent it out, right?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,380 times
renting it out all depends on the bylaws as some of em can be insane. the the bylaws to a lawyer and have them go over it

Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
You can but being a landlord (especially from across the country) can be a major PITA. Also, some associations limit your ability to rent your unit and others don't allow renting at all. So, make sure to review the condo docs in detail before committing fully to buying.

Personally, I wouldn't buy property unless I planned to hold it for a minimum of 5 years.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 AM

I went and did some research on condos in the Framingham area. And, I was disappointed to see that there are not a lot of options. I was able to find the one on Apple D'or and there were around 3-4 listed in Chapel Hill condos (1500 Worcester Road). Almost, all of these are 2 bedroom condos in the price range of 200,000-250,000.

Are these worth considering? I am not sure I liked what I saw so far..

Old 11-05-2013, 09:25 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
OP... sounds like you are rushing to buy but doesn't sound like you are ready... as in knowing the area, the market, your own outlook on staying or moving.... Did you get flushed with money or something?

Seriously, if you're asking the questions that you posted, you are NOT READY!! Why don't you rent a yr or 2 in the area. (another poster recommended this as well). You may even find an apt in or near those same complexes. That'll give you time to figure out do you want to put down a lot of money to own similar units or continue renting.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:54 AM

Hi mmyk72, You are right!
I am definitely not ready. And, I was just looking whats out there. Not really thinking about it seriously.
And, no I am not flushed with money lol.

I am going to rent initially. I just wanted to get a headstart and start looking atleast and get a sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts