U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:34 PM

380 posts, read 663,795 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are looking to move out of Northeastern PA due to rising crime in and around our town. I love the New England area, but my husband doesn't want worse winters than we already have. He doesn't mind staying the same, just doesn't want worse. I realize I might be pushing the envelope heading up this far north, but I've heard some of the New England states have a bit of a microclimate near the coast and don't have quite as harsh weather in the winters. Is this true of coastal Mass? If so, what ares would you recommend within about 20 minutes of the ocean that are good, safe, affordable neighborhoods to raise a family? By affordable, I would say no more than 200k for a house. Being near jobs would also be a plus! I would definitely not want to live in a city...quaint towns are great. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM

8,962 posts, read 13,958,540 times
Eastern Massachusetts is REALLY expensive, especially near the coast. You'd be looking at a small condo, most likely.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Thanks...I am trying to narrow down areas to look right now in the New England area. I guess Mass. may be out!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:02 PM

7,306 posts, read 4,853,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Thanks...I am trying to narrow down areas to look right now in the New England area. I guess Mass. may be out!
Yes, and even coastal New Hampshire would be out with a budget of only $200K. You would be pushed out to coastal Maine and that would be much worse than your PA winters.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:10 PM

That's what I was afraid of. It is so hard to give a budget, because I really don't know what jobs pay up that way in comparison to here. If the pay is higher, and hubby and I are able to both get decent paying jobs, we may be able to afford more. Although my dream is to live by the ocean, I wouldn't mind being inland, I just don't know how far inland we could go without being affected by severe winters?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:25 PM

7,306 posts, read 4,853,239 times
Quote:
That's what I was afraid of. It is so hard to give a budget, because I really don't know what jobs pay up that way in comparison to here. If the pay is higher, and hubby and I are able to both get decent paying jobs, we may be able to afford more.
If you could tweak the budget up to $250K-$275K it would open up a few spots within 15-20 miles of the NH seacoast.

Quote:
Although my dream is to live by the ocean, I wouldn't mind being inland, I just don't know how far inland we could go without being affected by severe winters?
Inland areas are not always worse than coastal areas. During nor'easters the coast usually gets hammered worse than inland areas. Of course it is impossible to predict which type of storms will be prevalent in a given winter.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:44 PM

18,864 posts, read 14,003,451 times
Maybe try the Middleboro, MA area or the Blackstone Valley area of MA (Uxbridge, Douglas, etc.)

I have friends in the Scranton/W-B area, and they say the winters are not really any warmer than up here (probably due to the elevation).

The South Coast of MA is also a possibility if you want to be right on the ocean (Swansea, Acushnet, Dartmouth, Fairhaven, etc.), but access to jobs is not great and the area in general might have too much of the kind of stuff you are trying to escape (Fall River and New Bedford primarily).

Old 11-06-2013, 06:05 PM

4,384 posts, read 5,765,346 times
Quote:
Hello,

My family and I are looking to move out of Northeastern PA due to rising crime in and around our town. I love the New England area, but my husband doesn't want worse winters than we already have. He doesn't mind staying the same, just doesn't want worse. I realize I might be pushing the envelope heading up this far north, but I've heard some of the New England states have a bit of a microclimate near the coast and don't have quite as harsh weather in the winters. Is this true of coastal Mass? If so, what ares would you recommend within about 20 minutes of the ocean that are good, safe, affordable neighborhoods to raise a family? By affordable, I would say no more than 200k for a house. Being near jobs would also be a plus! I would definitely not want to live in a city...quaint towns are great. Thank you!
For a house $200K and near the cost, you would be looking at Fall River or New Bedford, or a very small fixer-upper. Otherwise, you would be looking at a rural area west of Worcester.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:14 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,901,533 times
With a 200k budget you would be hard pressed to find a decent house in Springfield. The immediate suburbs would all be out of your price range.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,579,257 times
Halifax/Carver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts