Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Some of us do not live in a city or do our walking for a short distance in a suburb--we do need good winter clothing.

Someone asked about gloves: You can find warm gloves but if you want something really warm it's mittens. For mittens the warmest I ever had were bought in Iceland and were suede on the outside and shearling on the inside. They kept my hands warm while waiting at bus stops or out ice skating--someone liked them so much that they stole them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
People living in Mass. really need "winter gear". I don't know where timberline lives, but it gets really cold for way more than just "a week all year" here in Mass. A "deep freeze" can last for weeks. Then there's blizzards.

And yeah, layers are great. But you also need a serious winter coat. I have 2: the "Baxter State Parka" from llbean, & the "Rugged Ridge Parka" for $189. The "Rugged Ridge" is good for almost anything down to.......15 degrees say; the "Baxter State" down to below zero.

I also just got a pair of llbean fleece-lined jeans--they seem great, & also ordered new "Duofold" long-johns. Then there's snow tires, snow-blowers, etc........Winter's a serious business here......

I live in Somerville and work in Boston. Grew up in Belmont and Arlington. No, you do not need dedicated winter coats. Not sure where you get that. I never saw the purpose. And I'm outside doing winter nature photography and snow shoeing a lot. If you want to spend a couple of hundred on a coat you use for a few months, that is your business. Lived in places as cold or colder that MA (NW Vermont and South Central WI and really didn't see the need there, either).

If you work outside, that is a different issue entirely.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I live in Somerville and work in Boston. Grew up in Belmont and Arlington. No, you do not need dedicated winter coats. Not sure where you get that. I never saw the purpose. And I'm outside doing winter nature photography and snow shoeing a lot. If you want to spend a couple of hundred on a coat you use for a few months, that is your business. Lived in places as cold or colder that MA (NW Vermont and South Central WI and really didn't see the need there, either).

Keep in mind everyone has a different tolerance for cold. An undershirt, dress shirt and overcoat might be good for you in 20 degree weather, but other people might need to add a wool sweater and use a wind-breaking coat instead of the overcoat. I prefer a down wind-breaking jacket because I just wear an undershirt and dress shirt to work. I don't like wearing sweaters because it gets too hot when I'm indoors.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Keep in mind everyone has a different tolerance for cold. An undershirt, dress shirt and overcoat might be good for you in 20 degree weather, but other people might need to add a wool sweater and use a wind-breaking coat instead of the overcoat. I prefer a down wind-breaking jacket because I just wear an undershirt and dress shirt to work. I don't like wearing sweaters because it gets too hot when I'm indoors.

Fair enough, but I never understood what you do. Layers always seemed to make the most sense, you can just take another off or add one one depending on how you feel or how the temp changes over the day. A sweater comes off easily at work.

Each to their own. So, the answer is you can get fancy winter only gear if you want to, but you don't really have to if you are willing to dress in layers.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:14 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
One aspect is what is the "dress" expectancy/need is. On one end is get the job done and we do not care what you look like. On the other end it is still get the job done but we do care what you look like. Which end you fit on (or in the middle) can be a deciding factor how one dresses. Thermal bib overalls from Carhartt might be the answer. LL Bean flannel lined chinos might be the answer. Wool dress pants, even if thermal underwear underneath, might be the answer.

Do I get in my car in my garage and park at work in a garage at work or do I walk to a bus top and wait for the bus?

Do I shovel my own driveway or do I stand in the window with a hot cup coffee and watch others clear my driveway? I will need to dress differently for either.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:48 AM

613 posts, read 944,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

This is new to me--people in New England who don't need "dedicated winter coats". And I also wear "layers" all the time in Winter. Heck, I wear layers in winter just in my house. As far as: "Not sure where you get that"--it's just a crazy idea I got after surviving 40 years + in Mass., NY, Switzerland, etc.

It's already been down to 14 degrees at night/still in the morning where I am this year, & it's only Nov. I take that very seriously. I've also been to Colorado, Chicago, WI, Syracuse, & Switzerland in winter. Seemed like everybody in those places had "dedicated winter coats". Someone mentioned not needing a winter coat in Wisconsin--last time I was there in winter it was 2 degrees part of the time. Last time I was in Chicago in winter it was 5 degrees, & the wind was howling.

I just think, for the vast majority of people, it's bad advice to tell them that that they can do w/o a winter coat in places where it can get down to 20 degrees, or 5 degrees, or below zero even........& what's the point, to save $200 on a coat? Or a macho thing? I don't want to be macho in winter, I want to survive.

I also have shorts I only wear in summer......maybe that's silly too?

Old 11-29-2013, 11:53 AM

It has nothing to do with being macho. It has to do with spending a couple of hundred dollars on a piece of clothing that will be used for a couple of dozen days a year only, if that. Nothing that can be done with a silly looking fluffy parka that can't be done with an extra layer under a fall coat. That's all I'm saying. Today I'm at work and I wore my work clothes, along with a sweater and a fleece. Add hats and gloves and it was perfectly fine for the mile and half or so walk to work. If it was single digits I'd add a thermal layer as I often do when I run, if it was windy you put on a windbreaker shell. Simple. No more expenditure for extra part time clothes that aren't really necessary.

It's your money, do what you will with it, perhaps I'm more frugal that some, but I don't spend money on clothes I don't need (or anything really). BTW, I mentioned Wisconsin lived there for just shy of ten years and never bought a dedicated winter coat (nor did I when I lived in Burlington VT) even when working for the DNR outside a number of those years doing habitat restoration cutting or tagging at deer check stations. Just seemed like a waste of money to me then as it is now. I don't own any shorts myself so I have no comment on that. They look ridiculous to me (on adults).

Old 11-29-2013, 03:33 PM

289 posts, read 567,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Warmest and lightest jacket for adults and kids. I have these and they are really warm. A lot of the time I put them on with just a shirt underneath and they work fine.
BC MicroThermâ„¢ Down Jacket 2.0 | First Ascent
BC MicroThermâ„¢ Down Jacket 2.0 | First Ascent
Boys' MicroThermâ„¢ Down Hooded Jacket | First Ascent

I see LL Bean now has similar.
Ultralight 850 Down Jacket: Jackets and Vests | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
Ultralight 850 Down Coat, Long: Winter Jackets | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

I can never find a pair of good looking gloves that keep my hands warm.
I agree about the gloves. Maybe we could go into business together and make a million.

I *used* to love LLBean's coats, but last year I bought one of their long down coats and was sure I would love it, until the first day I went walking and put my *knuckles* into the pockets. I don't care how warm a coat is if I can't put my hands in deep pockets

Old 11-29-2013, 03:37 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Most people will want a winter coat or winter jacket. If you are out running or working hard outside, maybe not, but I've lived here all my life and always had a winter coat. I do without fall and spring coats but never without a good winter coat.

I am very frugal too. The money you pay for a good L.L.Bean (or other) down parka will be worth it because it is well made and it will last for years. Same with good boots. Maybe you think it's old fashioned but it works.

Try grocery shopping and pushing the cart full of groceries, unlocking your car, packing the groceries into the car, taking the cart back where it belongs, walking back to your freezing car. With the icy wind blowing and temps down into the teens, you need a real coat. If it's "cool" to just dress in layers and not even have a winter coat, so be it, but for most people, they'd rather be warm. A down jacket is warm and light=comfortable too.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:54 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Buy a long down parka/coat with a usable hood. Add a heavy winter scarf and gloves with insulation.
Wear layers so you can take something off as it warms up. I find Marshall's and Kmart good for deals.
Also a nice fake fur coat with hood for dressier warmup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts