Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:44 AM

74 posts, read 130,890 times

Advertisements

I've seen the term "townie" used a few times in this forum- and I just want to make sure I grasp the meaning. Generally it seems to mean that they're unfriendly to outsiders?? Can anyone elaborate? And tell me where the "townie" towns are? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:36 AM

8,786 posts, read 6,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkane View Post
I've seen the term "townie" used a few times in this forum- and I just want to make sure I grasp the meaning. Generally it seems to mean that they're unfriendly to outsiders?? Can anyone elaborate? And tell me where the "townie" towns are? Thanks!
Townies are people who won't leave their childhood town under any circumstances. They are not necessarily unfriendly to outsiders but the viewpoints of the two groups often clash. Northern Middlesex County has a fair number of townie towns including Dracut, Tyngsborough, Billerica and Tewksbury.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:49 AM

503 posts, read 1,197,392 times
Quote:
And tell me where the "townie" towns are? Thanks!
Charlestown is definitely a "townie town".
I would think South Boston also.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:23 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,122,332 times
I'm sure there are some who grow up in and never leave Wellesley, Needham, Hingham, Marblehead, etc., but since these are desirable towns, one would never label these people townies, right?

Townies apply more to blue collar areas, I think. Didn't grow up here, but I think it applies to lower socioeconomic areas...

Would someone who grew up in a grittier part of desirable Brookline or Newton be a townie as long as they remain, but still inherit a basic house but work blue collar and never get a degree? Long run-on sentence, yes...

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 12-08-2013 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-08-2013, 12:53 PM

4,881 posts, read 13,744,360 times
"Townie" is used in Boston slang to connote someone from Charlestown - emphasis on "from." Townies put a spin on the word when describing newcomers; they call 'em "toonies." At least this was the case for a while. Now with so many original townies relocated to the suburbs, behind the wave of urban pioneers and yuppies, it may not be used much if at all now. ("Jesus, Mary, and Joseph - cahn't go to the Foodmasta no moah. Now it's a Whole Foods fah the toonies.")

I agree that "townie" describes people from locations which are mainly middle-class or lower on the economic ladder. (It's hardly exclusive to Massachusetts or New England. When I went to college in a downtrodden small city in Indiana the citizens there were labeled the same way.) Strange how that is. "Local" tends to be used as a noun when you're talking about folks living in more affluent neighborhoods or towns, instead.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:52 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,580,343 times
It started being used in college towns, town vs. gown, with a person from the college town also attending the college distinguished as a commuter. I never heard the term until I watched the movie "Breaking Away." More recently it implies a middle or lower class person who may have some education or not with strong loyalties to the place they grew up in and their long time friends. They desire to preserve the town as they have always known it. Against the opinion of some on this forum, to me a townie need not have lived in the town all their lives. Someone could go away to college or military service and still be a townie if they come back to resettle in the same town they were born in.

Townies are in suburbs, not just urban and rural areas. There are townies in Acton, Natick and yes, Concord. Although they have almost become extinct in Concord in the last ten years. The 99 in West Concord was a big townie hangout, not too long ago.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:32 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,909,606 times
Quote:
In real life, I've only heard the word used to refer to longtime residents of Charlestown.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:42 PM

14,190 posts, read 14,543,530 times
To me townies mean the local populace born, brought up, and still live in the same town. In Boston slang it did refer to the Charlestown locals but it is not limited to that alone.

The students at Phillips Academy Andover called the local Andover kids townies. The local Andover kids called them PAers as in Pain in the Assers.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:34 PM

26,634 posts, read 28,423,267 times
To me it means the people who were born and brought up in the town and don't have much experience with the outside world. Their friends are kids they went to school with or are their relatives. They are set in their ways even while they are still young. They are usually not educated beyond high school. They know--or are related to-- everyone in town except newcomers and before the newcomers came along they ran the entire town. They are big fish in a small pond. This is the case in the more rural and small town areas.

In general I think it's local people who are looked down upon by newcomers who may be more priviliged and advantaged.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:07 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,245,456 times
It's still an active distinction in many college towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts