U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 AM
 
19 posts, read 62,316 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Currently we are looking for buying a house around Framingham but not in Framingham. Our budget is 40k in total, targeting good school system (we have a 15-month-old baby), 3 bedrooms or 2 bedrooms with potential to add one more later on.

My husband prefers to buy a new condo in Southboro with 2000+ sf ,2 garages and high quality of decoration,priced at 40k. But that condo is just off Rt. 9, so it should be noisy. Both of us work near the city, so I prefer South Wayland which means 15 minutes less commute one way. There is a 50 year old house in wayland, in run-down condition, 1500 sf, 3 br and 1.5 bath, no garage, priced a little bit under 40k. I'm thinking buying this one and then update the kitchen(with recessed lighting,granite countertop,modern cabinet,stainless appliances), hardwood floors, windows, and add a shower in the half bath if possible.

Does anyone of you has similar experience with remodeling a house and can you please give me a rough idea how much money, time and effort it would take?

Considering our situation, is it worth to buy the older house and take efforts to remodel it? How's southboro comparing to Wayland?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
 
17,370 posts, read 30,522,646 times
Reputation: 32694
I think Wayland is a terrific community. But what does "rundown" mean? If it's just cosmetics, paint, countertops, fixtures, OK. Is it structurally sound? How about the plumbing and pipes and electrical wiring, if it's that old? Is it on septic, and do you need a new septic system (that can run $30K, believe me).
Your budget sounds kind of low, no matter what, for a "rundown" house. But Wayland is a great town- beautiful, historic, schools, etc.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Metrowest, MA
1,810 posts, read 10,155,985 times
Reputation: 921
Kitchen and Bath remodeling are the most expensive room in the house. Kitchen remodeling starts around $10K and can easily go up to $50K.

Appliances - starts around $2000 and can go up to $10K.
Hardwood Floor - $10-15/sq ft -> 500 sq ft = $5000
granite counter top ranges from $60 to $120 a square foot
cabinet - $3000 - $30,000
Sink - $300- $1000
faucet - $50 - $250.
Plumber - $100/hr
It adds up fast. you better put in sweat equity.

In general, condo do not appreciate in price as fast as single family house. One of the reason is on the same lot, one can build 10 condo versus 1-2 house. Supply is usually more than demand. Also, the high price you are paying now is for the "newest". You get new appliance, carpet, .... etc. In a few years if you want to sell, they are not as new anymore.

However, you have a young child. The question is do you even have the time or resources to remodel. If you find a contractor, it will be much more expensive.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 05:17 AM
 
735 posts, read 3,378,095 times
Reputation: 253
Default don't underestimate the cost of materials!

Hi Spring!

Just recently buying a SF home and completely renovating the kitchen and downstairs bathroom, I can tell you exactly what you are getting into. Heck- I have the receipts right in front of me

I assume you mean $400K as your budget? That will get you a move-in ready SF home in Ashland- I have seen a few.

Southborough is a great area! But you probably won't find many options under $400K for SF homes. I would avoid condos- they don't appreciate and dealing with neighbors and an association can be a real drag...


The renovations you are talking about are costly. Keep in mind, appliances along will be about $4K. Cabinets will be about $5K. Even if you cut corners, it will still add up.

I could go over everything, but to give you a rough idea, the kitchen would cost you about $30K easily, and the minor bathroom fixes about $2,500. Screws, nails, glue etc- all of these little things add up fast. Raw materials alone are probably $5K. Labor also can add up fast- a good rule of thumb is about $600/day for a licensed contractor and carpenter.

But having the time to do that, or have a contractor in your house for about a month probably is not ideal.

You should consider buying a house in the area that is slightly more expensive, but needs less work. That is my best advice.

Best of luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 AM
 
Location: 42°22'55.2"N 71°24'46.8"W
4,845 posts, read 11,004,205 times
Reputation: 2933
I think your definition of run-down is way off compared to the average person who lives here. I know of the house you're speaking of in Wayland and that kitchen is not bad at all. Also, the rest of the house has been updated in the past year! The only thing I don't like about that house is the neighborhood it's in -- there's a guy who rides a motorcycle up and down that street all the time. If $400k is your budget and you'd like a nicer newer home, then I'd agree w/NY'er and say that an updated SFH in Ashland is probably a better bet for you. If you can deal w/an older home w/all the renovations and maintenance you'll be doing, then you can probably find something in Southboro that will be in your budget (w/better schools too since you have a young child).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
 
19 posts, read 62,316 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think Wayland is a terrific community. But what does "rundown" mean? If it's just cosmetics, paint, countertops, fixtures, OK. Is it structurally sound? How about the plumbing and pipes and electrical wiring, if it's that old? Is it on septic, and do you need a new septic system (that can run $30K, believe me).
Your budget sounds kind of low, no matter what, for a "rundown" house. But Wayland is a great town- beautiful, historic, schools, etc.
I may have misused 'rundown' there. The bone of the house seems OK, and I guess the major effort I'll need to put on is cosmetics, paint,hardwood floors,new kitchens,lighting, etc. It's private sewage, but don't know how old it is. Anyway, I guess the renovation cost may be over $50k to get the condition we want. I like Wayland the most in this area, but it's quite expensive
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 AM
 
19 posts, read 62,316 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Kitchen and Bath remodeling are the most expensive room in the house. Kitchen remodeling starts around $10K and can easily go up to $50K.

Appliances - starts around $2000 and can go up to $10K.
Hardwood Floor - $10-15/sq ft -> 500 sq ft = $5000
granite counter top ranges from $60 to $120 a square foot
cabinet - $3000 - $30,000
Sink - $300- $1000
faucet - $50 - $250.
Plumber - $100/hr
It adds up fast. you better put in sweat equity.

In general, condo do not appreciate in price as fast as single family house. One of the reason is on the same lot, one can build 10 condo versus 1-2 house. Supply is usually more than demand. Also, the high price you are paying now is for the "newest". You get new appliance, carpet, .... etc. In a few years if you want to sell, they are not as new anymore.

However, you have a young child. The question is do you even have the time or resources to remodel. If you find a contractor, it will be much more expensive.
Thanks for the probing point and detailed remodeling cost, really appreciate it! We should not have enough energy to deal with house remodeling, which we never experienced before. I underestimated the workload and cost could be involved.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 09:40 AM
 
19 posts, read 62,316 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
Hi Spring!

Just recently buying a SF home and completely renovating the kitchen and downstairs bathroom, I can tell you exactly what you are getting into. Heck- I have the receipts right in front of me

I assume you mean $400K as your budget? That will get you a move-in ready SF home in Ashland- I have seen a few.

Southborough is a great area! But you probably won't find many options under $400K for SF homes. I would avoid condos- they don't appreciate and dealing with neighbors and an association can be a real drag...


The renovations you are talking about are costly. Keep in mind, appliances along will be about $4K. Cabinets will be about $5K. Even if you cut corners, it will still add up.

I could go over everything, but to give you a rough idea, the kitchen would cost you about $30K easily, and the minor bathroom fixes about $2,500. Screws, nails, glue etc- all of these little things add up fast. Raw materials alone are probably $5K. Labor also can add up fast- a good rule of thumb is about $600/day for a licensed contractor and carpenter.

But having the time to do that, or have a contractor in your house for about a month probably is not ideal.

You should consider buying a house in the area that is slightly more expensive, but needs less work. That is my best advice.

Best of luck!
Hi NY'er,
Congratulations on completion of the renovation! The cost you listed did shock me a little bit. I may change my plan considering your suggestions.
Enjoy your new house.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 AM
 
19 posts, read 62,316 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I think your definition of run-down is way off compared to the average person who lives here. I know of the house you're speaking of in Wayland and that kitchen is not bad at all. Also, the rest of the house has been updated in the past year! The only thing I don't like about that house is the neighborhood it's in -- there's a guy who rides a motorcycle up and down that street all the time. If $400k is your budget and you'd like a nicer newer home, then I'd agree w/NY'er and say that an updated SFH in Ashland is probably a better bet for you. If you can deal w/an older home w/all the renovations and maintenance you'll be doing, then you can probably find something in Southboro that will be in your budget (w/better schools too since you have a young child).
We may not talking about the same house. I know the house you mentioned, it's in mint cool move-in condition, and it's almost exactly $400k. The big concern I have is it's in a major road. The house I mentioned is a couple of $10k below $400k, and the inside is dated, not really run-down though.

I saw another 50-year-old house in wayland, priced at $350k. If you know of it, are you familiar with the nearby neighborhood?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 PM
 
17,370 posts, read 30,522,646 times
Reputation: 32694
"It's private sewage, but don't know how old it is."
Age doesn't really matter. Any time you go for a building permit or a property changes hands, you have to pass a septic inspection. If the house has been empty and you're going for a building permit, it has to pass to "new construction" standards. If the house is occupied continuously, it has to be upgraded to "maximum feasible compliance," which is basically up to the local and state board of health. If it is less than 100 feet from a defined wetlands, run away and don't stop running.
The whole septic issue is enormous when buying a property in Massachusetts since a change in the laws around 1994. I went through it. I don't recommend it.
You can always put in an offer "pending Title 5 certifiate," meaning the seller is responsible for turning the property over with a certificate of compliance (passing) or an approved plan for an upgrade (with the price of the house reflecting the cost of the upgrade- the seller should get the estimates for you, and the board of health approval of that plan).
If the house seems unusually cheap for its condition and location, it could very well be a septic issue. Just ask about a Title 5 certificate. And DO NOT get involved. Trust me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top