U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 06:42 AM

49 posts, read 79,965 times

Advertisements

Even though its home, fact is I moved away some and cant get brought back into the fold and now I am reminded why I am 33 and still have some of the same thoughts when I was 20 living here. This state is bad. The liberal blue politics are bad and not only for the ideology itself but because nearly all blue states have traffic problems with insane *******ry and everything gets overpriced, tough to meet new people or date anyone decent. I just can't handle it anymore.. thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 07:53 AM

40,793 posts, read 33,150,169 times
This state is clearly not for you. I found dating here in my 30s to be awesome. Good job market too.

But you should seek a place more to your liking. Maybe the bible belt.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:34 AM

8,086 posts, read 12,550,596 times
MA is not for everyone. If you're looking for someplace with a lower COL and a more conservative reputation you could give Texas a try. Just because you're from here doesn't mean you have to stay here if you don't like it.

Personally, I love it here and when I was dating in my younger days I thought the scene was great. I actually met my wife around the time I turned 30.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:47 AM

3,486 posts, read 4,187,515 times
How about Florida

Old 12-25-2013, 10:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,012,579 times
You are at the right age to be trying out different things. But at some point you need to settle and decide where you will be happy-er long term. This is very intense area, and I can see people that not attracted to it. COL is also not very friendly for people starting out.
Be smart and honest with yourself. What do you need to be happy? Where can you see your long term career go? Which areas are having best opportunity for you long term? What is more important: family, career, lifestyle? All?

My advice while you are here, to concentrate on being positive. Like attracts like. Take some time to consider your next steps. Every area has some pluses and drawbacks,"perfection" and good fit are in the eye of the beholder. Again, be positive, concentrate on the positive, and things will get easier for you. Most people go through similar kind of self-discovery sooner or later. However, if you do not shift your mindset (into more positive frame of mind), you might end-up chasing your tail for a long, long time. It is not about what you have (or not), but what you make with what you have.
Good luck!
Happy Holidays!

Old 12-25-2013, 10:54 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,359,731 times
If you can find a job, Western MA (minus Springfield) Pioneer Valley has no traffic, is prettier, much cheaper (rent a 2-bed apt for under $900) and the people are slightly less cold. Some towns don't even have a Dunks, which is a plus. Nice downtowns that may be small, but emphasize local and quality stores and restaurants over chains and quantity.

Bunch of commie whackos out here though! Take it from a guilty Green Party voter here, yours truly.

As for leaving - how about Tennessee or North Carolina? I've always loved it down there! Fried food and barbecue, friendliness, and cheap livin!

Old 12-25-2013, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,307 times
MA probably hasn't changed in the past 40 years -- still blue, cold, expensive, and nanny state-ish

Old 12-25-2013, 01:51 PM

7,381 posts, read 4,901,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This state is clearly not for you. I found dating here in my 30s to be awesome. Good job market too.

But you should seek a place more to your liking. Maybe the bible belt.
Now wait one minute. Just because someone does not like Massachusetts politics does not mean they will find the bible belt to be appropriate. There is a huge middle ground between big, nanny state government and the bible belt.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Now wait one minute. Just because someone does not like Massachusetts politics does not mean they will find the bible belt to be appropriate. There is a huge middle ground between big, nanny state government and the bible belt.
Actually, I have considered TN, but not the deep south like Mississippi or Alabama or anywhere too populated down there like Nashville or Atlanta, Charlotte.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbertire62 View Post
MA probably hasn't changed in the past 40 years -- still blue, cold, expensive, and nanny state-ish
Yea mentally, It seems to be the state making the least progress.. Its like nothings changed at all here. All the suburbs are the same, the cities haven't made lots of strides.. Not one city in MA will ever pass Boston in jobs or in a hot new place to come to.. The others are still stagnant after the mill life exploded. Lawrence will never improve neither will Lowell.. Maybe Worcester? Although that's gotten pretty crowded too. MA other than if you get to experience Boston and meet someone in your bracket seems like a black hole. How can the South be a whole lot worse? The working classes here are backwards in their own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts