U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:08 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,757,179 times

Advertisements

I hate to sound like a wet blanket but my husband and I together make almost $120K and it's a struggle every month. Our house payment is not unreasonable but we do have 3 kids and the associated costs that go with them (sports, activities, clothes, food, etc.). We heat with oil and that's an issue this year. Gas is up over $3/gal so that's an issue this year. And we're trying desperately to clean up some debt we incurred during a longish period of unemployment so that's an issue.

Still, when we moved here almost 11 years ago, it was my husband who was the main breadwinner and his salary was almost what the two of us make now and we did just fine on it back then. Cost of living has really gone up in 11 years. We really would like to be bringing in another $25-40K between the two of us to be able to afford the extras and not struggle every month just to pay the bills.

We are looking to make job changes that will afford us more money and/or go somewhere cheaper (big savings on housing). But so far, here we are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:27 PM

132 posts, read 452,111 times
NC..My husband makes almost that much by himself, but he has a ton of overtime and that has always been allowed with his company. No kids, very little debt, truck and 5th travel trailer (LOL). Your taxes on housing is lower than here. If you are looking for some place cheap...dont come here. Work is nonexistent. I work over the internet, medical transcription, and my docs are in New York, but I can work anywhere there is a lap top and internet connection. I think renting would be a great idea. we are even considering doing the work camping thing where you work at the campground for 20 hours a week and you stay for free. cant argue with that huh? thanks for your input...i think if you want inexpensive place to live...every one says Georgia....but I dont know about schools...the schools here are horrible!!! good luck to you! I am envious!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:57 PM

40 posts, read 152,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
See, that is one of the issues we are having....housing here stinks...and expenses are outrageous to say the least..we are so close to retirement...we are 50, but can retire at 54...and we know we are going to be retiring in MA with possibly a small home in Georgia to estabilish residency there. This is the advice of our tax guy. We just hate being here sooooooo very much and know that MA is our home in our heart! Man we miss it up there so very much, even though we are native Floridians. We spend every free minute in MA. We just got back from a month up there! Please keep the comments coming!
I am also a Florida Native that feels the same way. Whenever I come back from the Boston area, I am always bummed to be back in Florida. My friends try to discourage the move but I'm going to do it. Looking at real estate prices via the Internet the closer you get to Boston the more money and the further way you get less money. I've considered Arlington and Newton as choices. Now my real estate friend tells me home prices are going back up in 2008. Funny you say you do medical transcription because right now I do medical billing.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:36 PM

132 posts, read 452,111 times
Florida girl...I am envious!!! go!!!! dont look back! My friend is looking to move up there with us too. She hates it here. She has 3 kids and is a school teacher, so she should do good. Her husband is in retail. check out that Woburn, MA - Official Website it is really informative. I love, love love woburn!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts