U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM

132 posts, read 452,025 times

Advertisements

Hello all...

Well, we think my husband has been offered an intracorporate transfer to MA!!! About 2 days before the offer came in, the company issued a hiring freeze, so we are awaiting that outcome.

He has been offered a decent raise for moving up there. Can you all tell me what you think is a good income to live comfortably somewhere in between Andover and Boston. We love Woburn, but doesnt have to be there, just some place like that. His territory would cover that area. I hope this comes through....I am soooooooo over Florida!!!! now we just have to sell this hunk of block and mortar....anyone want a house?????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 AM

141 posts, read 201,051 times
Housing is pretty expensive in that area. I would take a look at the cost of living where you are now and in the Boston area and make sure the new salary reflects the difference. What seems like a good raise now might actually put you behind where you are now financially.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 AM

See, that is one of the issues we are having....housing here stinks...and expenses are outrageous to say the least..we are so close to retirement...we are 50, but can retire at 54...and we know we are going to be retiring in MA with possibly a small home in Georgia to estabilish residency there. This is the advice of our tax guy. We just hate being here sooooooo very much and know that MA is our home in our heart! Man we miss it up there so very much, even though we are native Floridians. We spend every free minute in MA. We just got back from a month up there! Please keep the comments coming!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 AM

How much are you able to afford?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 AM

NOW THATS THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION.... When we first had this house appraised about 2 years ago, it was valued at 450K with us owing about 40 on it. Now, oh man....with things like they are here....our real estate lady says it may sell for 325 IF WE ARE LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUK!!!! I do NOT want anything big. its just me and hubby and 4 dogs.....and I dont want to spend all my days cleaning and doing upkeep! so...there you go...if we wait a year, then possibly...but I doubt it....housing prices will go up!! I need a crystal ball!!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 AM

As you know, it is a buyers market right now and it will be for a while.

By the way, why do you want to establish residency in GA?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Well, I don't WANT to estabilish residency in Georgia...our financial advisor said that Georgia is an excellent state to have residency in because property taxes are cheaper than here to begin with and because when you turn 60 (or 62) a portion of the property taxes are cut, school tax etc. This will reduce property taxes about 30 to 40%. They are also supposed to have excellent retirement taxes compared to all other states. I don't plan on living there any more than I have to. According to financial guy, that should be about a month per year. I think I can handle that! this is all if we take the retirement route before we can get moved!

It must be a buyers market, cause it sure aint a sellers!!! LOL!!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM

2,938 posts, read 5,221,830 times
If your looking for cheaper houses, taxes, and expenses, MA is not the state to have residency in. NH would be alot cheaper for taxes overall. No state income tax, but property taxes are higher.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,890,230 times
"A good income to live comfortably": this could mean virtually anything to anyone. "Comfortable" to some is knowing that they'll be able to pay the rent this month; for others it's an eight figure trust fund.

You can check out houses in your targeted area(s) at realtor.com, make a determination of what type of house you would want/expect, determine a ball park price for it, and extrapolate your "comfortable" income amount from that data.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,256,746 times
Given your age, and your comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
I do NOT want anything big. its just me and hubby and 4 dogs.....and I dont want to spend all my days cleaning and doing upkeep!
you might be best off renting for a couple of years, then buying a condo in a 55+ development. The rule is that ONE person who is buying needs to have reached 55, they are not retirement homes, but communities for people who are getting close to retirement, and who are over the whole mowing, painting, upkeep thing and want to enjoy life Finding a rental w/ 4 dogs might be tough, but a regular poster on this MA board managed to find a place in just a couple of days. By renting for a couple of years, you'll get to know the area very well, and will be able to make an informed decision, not a quick one made from hundreds of miles away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
See, that is one of the issues we are having....housing here stinks...and expenses are outrageous to say the least..we are so close to retirement...we are 50, but can retire at 54...and we know we are going to be retiring in MA with possibly a small home in Georgia to estabilish residency there. This is the advice of our tax guy. We just hate being here sooooooo very much and know that MA is our home in our heart! Man we miss it up there so very much, even though we are native Floridians. We spend every free minute in MA. We just got back from a month up there! Please keep the comments coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts