Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 9,156 times

Advertisements

Hello, am considering this commute. Crazy idea?

I am considering employment at the VA hospital in West Roxbury, MA. I presently live in Washington, DC area. I have roots in the Rehoboth, MA / RI area and I will likely be commuting from Rehoboth if employed in West Roxbury. If not Rehoboth then neighboring areas near rt 24, maybe even as far south as Tiverton, RI. Mapquest shows both Rehoboth, MA & Tiverton, RI to be approx 50 miles ( 1 hour) from West Roxbury. I'd prefer not do the thru-Providence, up 95 north thing.

Some commute questions:

1. Anyone familiar with the Bristol County, MA commute via rt 24 to 93 to 95?

2. From Rehoboth, MA or Tiverton, RI, with work schedule 7am -3:30 M-F, does 1 hour sound reasonable, or am I greatly underestimating?

3. Anyone familiar with the area around that VA hospital? Any pros/cons to share?

4. Anything I have not asked about this commute that I should be asking?

I've read some of the other threads mentioning West Roxbury and they have been very useful in describing the area.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:21 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
I would allow 1.5 hours (assuming good weather) even though it shouldn't take that long.

This is a commute I would grow tired of VERY quickly, as even the slightest incident along the way can make this take much longer that it should.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 PM

728 posts, read 975,103 times
I understand wanting to live in a community with familiarity. However that 24 commute is not an easy one. People do it, so if you really want to; go for it. You would have to get onto I-95/US-1 either way though. You would need to get off in Dedham and then go for a good portion of the Providence Highway until it becomes VFW parkway in Boston. For me personally that would be a traffic nightmare. You would most likely need to leave home around 5:30am to be on time(comfortably). You might be okay living in the Attleboro area since you like Bristol county. Any town further south using 24 though would be quite a hassle. Thankfully for you we have plenty of other local's who might be more familiar with Westie traffic. As far as 24 goes though *sigh*.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,509 times
I think your commute is going to take longer than one hour and it will be tiring. The area around the West Roxbury VA is very nice. Actually, about 15 years ago an new building was put up in the VA complex and I worked on it for a company that did the granite stone on the outside of the building. Nice area.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 9,156 times
DM84, MassNative2891, and David223:

Thank you all for your quick replies. Very informative. As much as I'd like to believe mapquest I know whatever can go wrong on these commutes --will. When I lived in MA, always planned trips to/from Boston avoiding commuter times so, admittedly, my idea of that commute can be on the rosey side. I may consider arriving for work at 6:30 and leaving at 3:00 and doing backroads thru Bristol County up to Norwood/95. I'd rather get in early, and get out early as I now do for my Washington, DC commute. Prior to this I never knew West Roxbury was a different town from Roxbury.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM

728 posts, read 975,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECHWUD View Post

Thank you all for your quick replies. Very informative. As much as I'd like to believe mapquest I know whatever can go wrong on these commutes --will. When I lived in MA, always planned trips to/from Boston avoiding commuter times so, admittedly, my idea of that commute can be on the rosey side. I may consider arriving for work at 6:30 and leaving at 3:00 and doing backroads thru Bristol County up to Norwood/95. I'd rather get in early, and get out early as I now do for my Washington, DC commute. Prior to this I never knew West Roxbury was a different town from Roxbury.

Well West Roxbury is just a different Boston neighborhood. But yes, it is different. Some might even call them polar opposites.

In regards to the Original Post. The early shift seems like a better bet. I personally work in the afternoon because I live in a town that is in the middle of 24/93/95. It's not easy. I spoke to a friend from Norton yesterday and the backroads are the preffered path into the city for some.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECHWUD View Post
Prior to this I never knew West Roxbury was a different town from Roxbury.
Oh yes it is (and in a big way)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts