Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:44 AM

536 posts, read 844,941 times

Advertisements

Having lived in S. Florida since the mid-1980s, I can say that the accent may be what I miss the most!

And the fresh scent of woods and lakes. Though my hometown, Stoughton, doesn't receive much praise on this forum, I miss at least how it used to be when I was growing up: a semitough small town with lots of working factories and working people, generously dotted by outlying pine groves and dreamy lakes and ponds where fish were plentiful and skating and sledding were fun.

Everything in a bike-ride's distance for a kid. Schools and movie theater in easy walking distance. Those things are precious resources, though when hard times come, it's hard to keep them up. I was sent by a friend there a news story, though, about efforts to restore the movie theater, which closed a few years ago. That would be a nice start.

Another thing I miss but that is now gone is Filene's Basement! Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,115 times
Lots of beaches/water
Good local seafood
Close to mountains, Canada, NYC
Lots of rail trail/walking trails
Many state parks
Tons of events all year
Local Farms/farm stands
Farmers markets
Beautiful, walkable towns with history (Boston, Newburyport, Salem, Marblehead, Manchester by the Sea, Gloucester, Rockport, Portsmouth, NH, etc.)
Local not big box stores/chains and restaurants
The BSO/Tanglewood
Much better drivers than in FL where I lived for 6 years
Weather from May-beginning of November
Businesses still have decent benefits/pay for the most part
Pretty liberal
Martha's Vineyard/The Cape
Several airports close by (Boston Logan, Manchester, Portsmouth, NH, Worcester, Providence, RI)
Parking in the city is not crazy like NYC where I grew up
Pretty good public transportation
Educated people
Good hospitals

Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 AM

5 posts, read 8,860 times
We moved here about 8 months ago from Upstate NY, and absolutely love it.

You have Boston and everything to do there, from great restaurants, to sporting events, to museums, concerts etc.
You have the beaches in the summer, and the mountains in the winter.
Excellent job opportunities. This is a big one for us, as it is the reason we relocated.
Excellent schools. What is considered "so so" for a school district here, is comparable to the best schools outside of Massachusetts.

Overall, you have good schools, good jobs, and lots of things to do close by!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts