Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times

Advertisements

cwaggy, just because they live in Pasadena doesn't mean they have bourgeois tastes or that they'll be disappointed in plain old West/South/Northborough as opposed to high-falutin' Sudbury. After all, she asked about the "boro's" and seemed to put the children's needs first. 'Foodies' have to put their restaurant-going on hold anyway with two children in the house (as I've found out) ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
cwaggy, just because they live in Pasadena doesn't mean they have bourgeois tastes or that they'll be disappointed in plain old West/South/Northborough as opposed to high-falutin' Sudbury. After all, she asked about the "boro's" and seemed to put the children's needs first. 'Foodies' have to put their restaurant-going on hold anyway with two children in the house (as I've found out) ...
The OP said she really doesn't know where to move and sounded like she was open to any and all suggestions. She only mentioned the 'boros because they are close to Marlboro. And I resent the fact that you call Sudbury high-falutin. That term is usually reserved for Wellesley/Newton

Also it's very easy to go to nice restaurants with 2 children - it's called a babysitter. A $400 meal & show turns into $475, but who cares ... you need to do that as a parent or else you'll wake up in 10 years and realize you don't know the person sleeping next to you anymore.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:06 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
It was in the title of the post, not the actual post itself

I think of the Boros (North, South and West) as Worcester suburbs because they are in Worcester County. I think of the Boston area as Suffolk, Norfolk, Middlesex (including Marlboro), Essex and Plymouth Counties. And I think of Bristol County as Providence. Maybe that's just me though, I dunno.
Framingham is the mid-way point between Worcester and Boston. So, I'm with you in that anything west of that point I consider part of the Worcester area especially since it's Worcester County. As for the other counties . . . well that's a whole other conversation.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:33 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Framingham is the mid-way point between Worcester and Boston. So, I'm with you in that anything west of that point I consider part of the Worcester area especially since it's Worcester County.
Don't know how you figure that? What city a town is a "suburb of" would usually be determined by commuting patterns, economic and cultural ties. Southborough may be in Worcester County, but it has absolutely nothing else in common with Worcester/Central MA. I'd say the dividing line starts maybe 2 towns west of 495, but even Shrewsbury is a suburb of Boston as well as Worcester.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Don't know how you figure that? What city a town is a "suburb of" would usually be determined by commuting patterns, economic and cultural ties. Southborough may be in Worcester County, but it has absolutely nothing else in common with Worcester/Central MA. I'd say the dividing line starts maybe 2 towns west of 495, but even Shrewsbury is a suburb of Boston as well as Worcester.
So you're telling me that the people of Shrewsbury when heading out for dinner drive nearly 40 miles to Boston instead of 7 miles to Worcester? Sure, Boston is "the hub" of our state. However, geographically Worcester is closer to many of these towns.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:30 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
So you're telling me that the people of Shrewsbury when heading out for dinner drive nearly 40 miles to Boston instead of 7 miles to Worcester? Sure, Boston is "the hub" of our state. However, geographically Worcester is closer to many of these towns.
No, but many in Shrewsbury commute to Boston and the surrounding area for work (as well as Worcester). Many who live there also happen to be transplants from closer to Boston who still work there (and barely know Worcester even exists, despite it being right next door).

Worcester is a much smaller city with an even smaller economy, so it has much less of a "pull" from the surrounding area. I mean, you cannot say that Stoughton isn't a suburb of Boston just because it happens to be closer to Brockton.

Worcester is practically a suburb in itself. In the evening commute, I see more traffic headed into it on 290 than leaving. Pretty sad, but true.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Worcester is a much smaller city with an even smaller economy, so it has much less of a "pull" from the surrounding area. I mean, you cannot say that Stoughton isn't a suburb of Boston just because it happens to be closer to Brockton.
I'm not sure I would put Brockton in a similar category as Worcester or Boston. That's like saying Wellesley is a suburb of Newton. Anyway, this is kind of a silly/pointless discussion. It's like arguing about what towns are part of the North Shore. I think we can just agree to move on with our lives at this point.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:09 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
The W/S/N'boros are just not that interesting, too far from Boston/Cambridge where dining and entertainment are leagues above anything Worcester has to offer. Sorry you have another opinion but I am sticking to the facts of proximity. Geography is destiny and the 'boros' are destined to be boring suburbs of Worcester without the amenities our Pasadena peeps are looking for. Sudbury, Lincoln,Concord have charm, character and are way more geographically suitable to meet the needs of the OP.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
The W/S/N'boros are just not that interesting, too far from Boston/Cambridge where dining and entertainment are leagues above anything Worcester has to offer. Sorry you have another opinion but I am sticking to the facts of proximity. Geography is destiny and the 'boros' are destined to be boring suburbs of Worcester without the amenities our Pasadena peeps are looking for. Sudbury, Lincoln,Concord have charm, character and are way more geographically suitable to meet the needs of the OP.
Westborough and Marlborough have a decent restaurant scene.

Westborough is very yuppy.

Southborough had a palace that sold for close to 20 million a few years back. Lots of execs in that town in new subdivisions.

Northborough is an upper middle class town.

I was in Marlborough yesterday and was impressed with how cleaned up it looked from a few years ago, with lots of activity on Saturday night and many new restaurants, definitely on the uptrend.

These places aren't exactly the sticks like you seem to be making them out to be.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:04 PM

6 posts, read 10,534 times
I am glad I see some conversation on post. Yes, we are considering the "boros" and most surrounding areas.
We really do not have much information on anything.
Thank you for the idea of Sudbury sounds good. We will be checking out quite a few areas. We have a "investigation" trip in March.
I really would like input for all areas. I am interested schools first, possibly renting for a while then we will hunt for the right area to buy in. We do like to go places, we do like diversity and not afraid of change.
It seems as Shrewsbury may not be the right place. We do like the Wellesley area but feel it is too pricey.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts